Flamethrowers

This is the flame thrower of modern times. Timed grenades.

A smart grenade is a type of explosive ammunition used in some modern grenade launchers.
Unlike traditional grenades, such as the 40 mm grenade, smart grenades can be electronically programmed to explode after traveling a certain distance. This produces an airburst that is more effective at hitting enemies taking cover around corners or in trenches. In the field, a fire control computer or some other electronic sighting system is used to quickly program the electronic fuze with any distance, as conditions dictate.
One example of a smart grenade is the 25 mm grenade used in the XM25 program.

zander_0633 said:
WEll is that project out yet?

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl13-e.htm

Mk. 19 Mod 3
First prototypes of the new weapon appeared by mid-1990s, and in 1995 US DoD approved the industry team which then consisted of Saco Defense (now GDATP) as a weapon producer and system integrator, and Raytheon as a provider of advanced electronic sighting and fire control equipment. Later on, team was joined by Norwegian NAMMO Oy company, which develops the advanced, air- bursting 40mm ammunition for new weapon. In the year of 2003, US Special Operation Command (USSOCOM) adopted the GDATP Striker 40 40mm automatic grenade launcher as Mark 47 model 0, complete with its new tripod mount and AN/PVG-1 Lightweight Video Sight developed by Raytheon.

Most countries have auto launchers but most are classified as to specs. In the US, if there is an X in front of the designation, it means they are still being field tested. I guess the only way to find out for sure if they work is mount a bunker and see what comes toward you.

XM25
MM-1
Mk.19 AGL [SIZE=-1]new[/SIZE]
Mk.47 AGL [SIZE=-1]new[/SIZE]
XM307 ACSW [SIZE=-1]new[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Nice!

xm25_0.jpg

xm25_1.JPG

xm25_3.jpg

Are incendiary grenades (usually used in an anti-material role) powerful enough to be useful in clearing bunkers?

Ever thrown a seen a white phos grenade go off. I'm not gunna hang around in a bunker full of burning phos and acrid smoke and no oxygen. Personal preferences I guess.

Note: Discalaimer. It is illegal to use white phos to kill an enemy and the ADF is bound by this law. But it is allowed to be used to mark their position with the smoke it creates. If there is a secondary burning effect, and some enemy happen to be caught in it, then the ADF takes no responsibility for this event.

Last edited:
Well, that's the way they say they want to signal! They throw it in the bunker, and also use it as a signal!

Another effective way to kill is explosives with flechettes in it. Heck if Israel uses it why can't anyone else.

If there was a way to compress the fuel somehow into a smaller package, I'd say they should make flamethrowers for mounting on M4s - nothing clears a building better.

There was a Suomi submachine gun with one mounted underneath, But the user still had to carry the tank on his back.

sotam_17.jpg

Besides, Has the M202 FLASH been exported?

the tanks in Iraq right now arent doing anything. They just sit there, and, if they did fire, it would go through an entire town. they need to put flame throwers back on tanks, so they can just roll on up and barbeque the SOBs.

With flame throwers range is one of the big problems. The Churchill Tank in WW2 had one with a range of around 200 yards wind permitting. A hand held one would only have a range of some 25 yards, now if you don't have much cover you are going to have problems getting that close to do any real damage before the operator get killed. Now it can only really be used against fixed positions and would be no good for close quarters.

I might be wrong on this, but I believe there is a international moratorium on the use of flamethrowers.

UPDATE

In fact there is, however the US never signed it. It removed flamethrowers from its arsenal
voluntarily. So the US is free to us them again if it choses to.

Still its a double edged weapon. One hit to the fuel tank and you can incinerate your own vehicle or the troops using it.

Last edited:
Back