Flame & Citron

Kesse81

Banned

Set in 1943 and 1944 during World War II, the film is loosely based on historic events featuring two of the most active fighters in the Holger Danske resistance group during World War II: the red-haired Bent Faurschou-Hviid (known as Flammen) and Jørgen Haagen Schmith (known as Citron), who both were killed toward the end of the war. As the two friends assassinate Danish Nazis and collaborators, they become involved in increasing ambiguity.

Before 1944, they kill only Danes, to reduce widespread retaliation by the Nazis. Winther, claiming orders from the government in exile in London, orders them to kill prominent Nazi officials. Doubt arises, and Flame and Citron must also deal with competing resistance groups, an internal traitor, and a femme fatale who might be a double (or triple) agent. Ultimately, they find that they can only trust each another.

Many years ago in UK I once spoke to a Dutch resistance fighter who was on holiday. We spoke for a couple hours. he wasn't bragging, just matter of fact, the fear of being caught, tortured and shot. When he went to the toilet I turned to his wife and told her she has one hell of a brave husband.

I really don't know how they did it, they had far more courage then I've got.

My great-grandfather was in the Danish Resistance
He was arrested in early 1945 by the German security police and tortured. He was among other things beaten under his feet with bamboo sticks. He lost 20% of his sense of touch on the right foot.

I did unfortunately never really got to know him. He died when I was only 5 years old. I have since spoken to a member of his group and thus heard what they have been through.

I often hear the old resistance veterans say that they were not brave and that they felt it was their duty to take up the fight against the Germans. But whatever their motive was to fight the Germans, then I have a huge respect for these men and women.

Utmost respect to your great grandfather and to others who fought in the resistance.

I cannot even imagine what it would be like living under German totalitarianism.

Utmost respect to your great grandfather and to others who fought in the resistance.

I cannot even imagine what it would be like living under German totalitarianism.

Partisans and resistance fighters caught by the Gestapo or SS were severely tortured and usually later executed. I would give a lot of credit to your grandfather for this fighting behind the lines. He's likely fortunate to have survived the experience. My uncle in the RAF air dropped Polish and Check resistance fighters into Nazi occupied Europe for suicide missions. Since these men had lost their families they didn't care if they returned, only that they to were able strike back at the enemy.

Last edited:
I have since been told that my great-grandfather survived his captivity by simulating a psychosis. One of the things he did was to soil himself every time he was interrogated. He was a broken man when liberation came. He almost never spoke about the war and got mad when someone brought up the subject.

I have since been told that my great-grandfather survived his captivity by simulating a psychosis. One of the things he did was to soil himself every time he was interrogated. He was a broken man when liberation came. He almost never spoke about the war and got mad when someone brought up the subject.

I am so sorry to hear that. I cant even imagine what he went through. Utmost respect.

Last edited:
He's likely fortunate to have survived the experience. My uncle in the RAF air dropped Polish and Check resistance fighters into Nazi occupied Europe for suicide missions. Since these men had lost their families they didn't care if they returned, only that they to were able strike back at the enemy.???

Back