Flags of our fathers...

ObjSRgtLw

I was really shocked about the shape the german flags of my current unit were in. They had holes in it, the sides were frayed (really frayed) and the colors were greyed (gold was white...). 3 cases- 2 in front of the platoon buildings and one in front of the company-staff building.

No one seems to care, and thats for some ten years or more...
I talked to the platoon leaders and to some NCO's ... the Officers agreed that sth had to be done- the NCO's didn't see why i was so upset.
Whats going on in my country? The soldiers don't care about their national flag? I could understand it if it were to be a flag outside military ground- but in front of the platoon barracks? Why am i the first to speek of it?!

Isn't a flag in this shape considered a crime and dishonor in every other country?

Well this just shows how most the people in germany honor their country...

Maybe i'm over-reacting on this? But i'm just so upset and angry because no one really cares and after decades i'm the first to speak of it... i'm really speechless.

i just want to hear your thoughts on that- am i mad or sth or is sth wrong with german soldiers and scociety...?

(and to the argument there was mental value involved i'd say you could take the flags and put them into a picture frame or sth and put it into the office... but as for the two platoons they are not very old - new privates...)

Agreed, a bad flag is as bad as unpolished boots or dirty uniform. It is the army and any of these issue are an indication of poor dissipline. It is not a "German" thing.

Back