Flag sizes.

Although I don't how they were determined, the dimensions of the U.S. flag were set by executive order of President Taft on June 24, 1912.
The fly is 1.9 times the hoist.
The canton is 7/13 the hoist and 0.4 the fly.
Each stripe is 1/13 the hoist.
Stars fit into a circle that is 0.8 the width of a stripe.
Commercial versions often vary somewhat from these dimensions.
Earlier U.S. flags were not so elongated.

Evolution of the United States Flag

No one knows with absolute certainty who designed the first stars and stripes or who made it. Congressman Francis Hopkinson seems most likely to have designed it, and few historians believe that Betsy Ross, a Philadelphia seamstress, made the first one.
Until the Executive Order of June 24, 1912, neither the order of the stars nor the proportions of the flag was prescribed. Consequently, flags dating before this period sometimes show unusual arrangements of the stars and odd proportions, these features being left to the discretion of the flag maker. In general, however, straight rows of stars and proportions similar to those later adopted officially were used. The principal acts affecting the flag of the United States are the following:
  • On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation."
  • Act of January 13, 1794 - provided for 15 stripes and 15 stars after May 1795.
  • Act of April 4, 1818 - provided for 13 stripes and one star for each state, to be added to the flag on the 4th of July following the admission of each new state, signed by President Monroe.
  • Executive Order of President Taft dated June 24, 1912 - established proportions of the flag and provided for arrangement of the stars in six horizontal rows of eight each, a single point of each star to be upward.
  • Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated January 3, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in seven rows of seven stars each, staggered horizontally and vertically.
  • Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated August 21, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in nine rows of stars staggered horizon tally and eleven rows of stars staggered vertically.
SOURCE

I moved this thread to the more appropriate forum.

Last edited:
Here's another tidbit:

The Mystery of the Forgotten U.S. Flag Revealed.
vertical.gif

THE STORY

Nice link DTop. Some good info there. I wasnt sure how they figured out the dimensions. Now I know!!

A little more flag knowledge to kick around.

a. Types of National Ensigns.

1) Storm Flag. The storm flag is flown during inclement weather, and measures five feet by nine and a half feet.

2) Post Flag. The post flag, which is twice as big as the storm flag, measures ten feet by nineteen feet. It is flown on weekdays and Saturdays and is known as the everyday flag.

3) Garrison Flag. The garrison flag, which is also known as the holiday flag, is flown on Sunday and holidays. It is twenty feet by thirty eight feet.

not sure thats what he was talking about Dtop...
i think he is talking about under your post count, the American flag is bigger than the German flag for isntance...

You know you might be right rotc boy, that didn't even occur to me :roll: If that's the case Mohmar, a PM to Redleg might get an answer. Thanks rotc boy.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
I've noticed that the profile flags of the USA and the UK are bigger than every other flag I've seen. Why is this?

The reason is quite simple.. :)

I uploaded a bunch of flags, and it seems like the size of the US flag as well as a few others are "messed up" a bit..
I really didn't think about this myself until you mentioned it now, but I'll resize them and upload new ones (in the same size as the rest) later today..

Redleg

If I could make a suggestion...

I actually think the larger size is better, the smaller one is slightly difficult to see. Perhaps you could resize them and make them all the same size as the US?

just a thought...

Thanks for the info, DTop. Although it was not what I intended to ask (I just realized that the way I asked the question was a bit clumsy), as rotc boy pointed out, it was still very informative :)

I agree with mmarsh. Some flags have tiny symbols on them, which would be easier to recognize, if they were slightly larger.

mmarsh said:
Perhaps you could resize them and make them all the same size as the US?
All 150 (or so) of them?? :-|
I think it will be easier to resize just the US flag instead.. ;)

I'll see if I can add some larger flag images for the profiles instead.

Italian Guy said:
RL can we just make the Italian flag way bigger than all the other ones?

Of course, everything for you IG...
Here you go: :D

ITAL0001.GIF

Excellent, thank you Redleg. Btw I saw the flag of your country being stepped on and burned somewhere in the Arab world with regard to the cartoons thing. I felt so bad seeing that flag being set afire.

Back