Fishing Experiences




 
--
Fishing Experiences
 
May 14th, 2010  
Wolf
 
 

Topic: Fishing Experiences


Fishing Experiences
Please post any stories, advice, or pictures you're willing to share!

I grew up around a family of fisherman. In Australia, my grandfather, who was constantly out in the wilderness, would take the family on a variety of expeditions. He used to hunt and fish often. My godmother's father was also a longshoreman, and would return home after long trips with his car filled with fish. Friends and family alike fished frequently. It's important to note, however, that I was about 7 years old around this time and pretty much took it all for granted; I wasn't particularly interested in fishing. And it didn't help that we left it all behind to settle into a suburban California apartment.

I've recently gotten reacquainted with fishing, and took a trip a few days ago to a nearby lake with the family.
Just before our spot was invaded by swimmers and family BBQ's we managed to catch a bass.



We initially started with lures at that spot, but it didn't bite until we threw in a worm about 30 minutes later. It was the only fish we could catch that trip.
Not sure exactly what species it is - I'm almost convinced it's a small Largemouth Bass. It's mouth ends almost immediately where its eye ends, for those who know what to look for.

Notice my little 6-year-old brother holding the fish to make it look massive.
May 25th, 2010  
electricmermaid
 
 

Topic: Bass is freshwater, correct? Did you eat it Wolf?


I don't think I've had anything but saltwater fish.
Raw wahoo bathed in fresh lemon is pretty tasty or even smoked. The tunas were great fighters but it's a red fish and a little on the more potent fishy-side for myself.
There were five of us deep sea fishing on the Indian Ocean. It took two Air Force guys & myself to reel, beat & haul up the white tipped shark (the skipper was doing his job & girl roommate did the screaming). Usually the sharks bit off my line & eat the prized Rapala lure. But not this time!
This time he was my circular steaks for the next few months.
May 25th, 2010  
Wolf
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmermaid
I don't think I've had anything but saltwater fish.
Raw wahoo bathed in fresh lemon is pretty tasty or even smoked. The tunas were great fighters but it's a red fish and a little on the more potent fishy-side for myself.
There were five of us deep sea fishing on the Indian Ocean. It took two Air Force guys & myself to reel, beat & haul up the white tipped shark (the skipper was doing his job & girl roommate did the screaming). Usually the sharks bit off my line & eat the prized Rapala lure. But not this time!
This time he was my circular steaks for the next few months.
Haha, nice. Recall how big it was?
--
Fishing Experiences
May 27th, 2010  
Hook160th
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Please post any stories, advice, or pictures you're willing to share!

I grew up around a family of fisherman. In Australia, my grandfather, who was constantly out in the wilderness, would take the family on a variety of expeditions. He used to hunt and fish often. My godmother's father was also a longshoreman, and would return home after long trips with his car filled with fish. Friends and family alike fished frequently. It's important to note, however, that I was about 7 years old around this time and pretty much took it all for granted; I wasn't particularly interested in fishing. And it didn't help that we left it all behind to settle into a suburban California apartment.

I've recently gotten reacquainted with fishing, and took a trip a few days ago to a nearby lake with the family.
Just before our spot was invaded by swimmers and family BBQ's we managed to catch a bass.



We initially started with lures at that spot, but it didn't bite until we threw in a worm about 30 minutes later. It was the only fish we could catch that trip.
Not sure exactly what species it is - I'm almost convinced it's a small Largemouth Bass. It's mouth ends almost immediately where its eye ends, for those who know what to look for.

Notice my little 6-year-old brother holding the fish to make it look massive.

Yes, that`s a largemouth bass.....good job.
May 31st, 2010  
electricmermaid
 
 

Topic: don't know off hand


http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...icture1583.jpg
June 29th, 2010  
M1karava
 
 
i remember a few years back before my grandpa got too sick, he used to take me fishing all the time. One day we went to a little fishing hole a few miles from the house off a small bridge. we started fishing for about a few hours and caught mostly small stuff. But when we were near to leaving my pole dipped and my grandpa helped me reel it in. ( I was about 8 at the time) sure enough what comes up is an albino catfish. It was crazy white skin and pink eyes. we put it in a cooler filled with water with a few other keepers planning to release it in the pond when we got back home.

to make a long story short it died before we made it home, but it sure tasted good fried up.
June 29th, 2010  
sky2979
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1karava
albino catfish. It was crazy white skin and pink eyes.
I wonder??? What does an albino fish taste like??? Hehehehehe......
June 29th, 2010  
03USMC
 
 
Varies by condition on what they will bite on and not bite on. I generally have good luck with top water plugs for bass or plastic worms with spinners. But somedays it's shiners, minnows or night crawlers. There is a reason its called fishing and not catching
July 29th, 2010  
muscogeemike
 
I was born and raised in S. Calif, the restrictive fishing laws was one of the main reasons (and too many people) I didn't retire there. Come to E. Texas.
July 31st, 2010  
Atasas
 
What is this "beast" called?
caught it, spiky little bugger... looked at it and let it go...
it was 8-9" long
 


Similar Topics
Fishing Boat
Russia VS Norway... Round two
Marine Boot Experiences
Seeking experiences of soldiers for a book.
Combat experiences of soldiers