Fishing Experiences

Wolf

Please post any stories, advice, or pictures you're willing to share!

I grew up around a family of fisherman. In Australia, my grandfather, who was constantly out in the wilderness, would take the family on a variety of expeditions. He used to hunt and fish often. My godmother's father was also a longshoreman, and would return home after long trips with his car filled with fish. Friends and family alike fished frequently. It's important to note, however, that I was about 7 years old around this time and pretty much took it all for granted; I wasn't particularly interested in fishing. And it didn't help that we left it all behind to settle into a suburban California apartment.

I've recently gotten reacquainted with fishing, and took a trip a few days ago to a nearby lake with the family.
Just before our spot was invaded by swimmers and family BBQ's we managed to catch a bass.

IMFFishingThread.jpg

We initially started with lures at that spot, but it didn't bite until we threw in a worm about 30 minutes later. It was the only fish we could catch that trip.
Not sure exactly what species it is - I'm almost convinced it's a small Largemouth Bass. It's mouth ends almost immediately where its eye ends, for those who know what to look for.

Notice my little 6-year-old brother holding the fish to make it look massive. :-o

Bass is freshwater, correct? Did you eat it Wolf?

I don't think I've had anything but saltwater fish.
Raw wahoo bathed in fresh lemon is pretty tasty or even smoked. The tunas were great fighters but it's a red fish and a little on the more potent fishy-side for myself.
There were five of us deep sea fishing on the Indian Ocean. It took two Air Force guys & myself to reel, beat & haul up the white tipped shark (the skipper was doing his job & girl roommate did the screaming). Usually the sharks bit off my line & eat the prized Rapala lure. But not this time!
This time he was my circular steaks for the next few months.

Last edited:
I don't think I've had anything but saltwater fish.
Raw wahoo bathed in fresh lemon is pretty tasty or even smoked. The tunas were great fighters but it's a red fish and a little on the more potent fishy-side for myself.
There were five of us deep sea fishing on the Indian Ocean. It took two Air Force guys & myself to reel, beat & haul up the white tipped shark (the skipper was doing his job & girl roommate did the screaming). Usually the sharks bit off my line & eat the prized Rapala lure. But not this time!
This time he was my circular steaks for the next few months.
Haha, nice. Recall how big it was?

Please post any stories, advice, or pictures you're willing to share!

I grew up around a family of fisherman. In Australia, my grandfather, who was constantly out in the wilderness, would take the family on a variety of expeditions. He used to hunt and fish often. My godmother's father was also a longshoreman, and would return home after long trips with his car filled with fish. Friends and family alike fished frequently. It's important to note, however, that I was about 7 years old around this time and pretty much took it all for granted; I wasn't particularly interested in fishing. And it didn't help that we left it all behind to settle into a suburban California apartment.

I've recently gotten reacquainted with fishing, and took a trip a few days ago to a nearby lake with the family.
Just before our spot was invaded by swimmers and family BBQ's we managed to catch a bass.

IMFFishingThread.jpg

We initially started with lures at that spot, but it didn't bite until we threw in a worm about 30 minutes later. It was the only fish we could catch that trip.
Not sure exactly what species it is - I'm almost convinced it's a small Largemouth Bass. It's mouth ends almost immediately where its eye ends, for those who know what to look for.

Notice my little 6-year-old brother holding the fish to make it look massive. :-o

Yes, that`s a largemouth bass.....good job.

i remember a few years back before my grandpa got too sick, he used to take me fishing all the time. One day we went to a little fishing hole a few miles from the house off a small bridge. we started fishing for about a few hours and caught mostly small stuff. But when we were near to leaving my pole dipped and my grandpa helped me reel it in. ( I was about 8 at the time) sure enough what comes up is an albino catfish. It was crazy white skin and pink eyes. we put it in a cooler filled with water with a few other keepers planning to release it in the pond when we got back home.

to make a long story short it died before we made it home, but it sure tasted good fried up.

Varies by condition on what they will bite on and not bite on. I generally have good luck with top water plugs for bass or plastic worms with spinners. But somedays it's shiners, minnows or night crawlers. There is a reason its called fishing and not catching:smile:

I was born and raised in S. Calif, the restrictive fishing laws was one of the main reasons (and too many people) I didn't retire there. Come to E. Texas.

What is this "beast" called?
caught it, spiky little bugger... looked at it and let it go...:-D
it was 8-9" long

Last edited:
Thanks KJ
Well it is clearly out of Gurnard family, but yellowi'sh color of the fish and bright blue edges of front fins... not 100% sure as yet:confused:

Could just be locational differences - I've caught the same species of fish in different places, and they always seem to have some small differences - be it colour or shape etc.

Could just be locational differences - I've caught the same species of fish in different places, and they always seem to have some small differences - be it colour or shape etc.
well I take your word for money! (else it could be some toxic mutant):dive:

Back