First Win for Sherman

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=30452

spacer.gif

In a wild, wacky, wrecking finish, Brent Sherman weaved his Serta Mattress Ford through everyone else's woes to capture the ARCA RE/MAX Series Hantz Group 200 today at Michigan International Speedway.​

It appeared to be Burney Lamar's race to lose with two laps remaining when he suffered a mechanical problem and fell back quickly with sparks igniting under his car. That gave the lead to T.J. Bell.​

But with one lap remaining, Frank Kimmel tried to pass T.J. Bell on the inside. The two got together and Kimmel spun out.​

That meant the elimination of the top three drivers over the last two laps and allowed Sherman to capture his first ARCA RE/MAX Series victory after gaining his initial ARCA RE/MAX pole on Thursday.​

But it wasn't that easy, even yet.​

It appeared the race was over and Sherman was pumping his arm out the window in celebration of his triumph when his crew informed him the race wasn't over. Since the yellow flag had appeared before he took the checkered flag, there was one lap added with a green/white/checkered finish.​

"On the last lap I knew the others ahead of me were better, but crazier things have happened," said Sherman as crazier things did happen. "I was going to pass them. I did pass them and I came to the yellow flag screaming that I won, but my crew said I hadn't won anything and there was still one lap remaining. Fortunately, on the green/white/checkered lap I was able to hold them off.​

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/"I could have had a more satisfying win with all of the others having trouble but I beat them fair and square in qualifying. Unfortunately, some had trouble there at the end and I swung through to get the win."​

Ryan Matthews finished second, followed by Ryan Foster in third, which were both career-best finishes for the young drivers.​

Kimmel, a seven-time ARCA RE/MAX Series champion, was credited with a 27th-place finish and now shares the points lead with Bobby Gerhart.​

Back