First Motorcycle?

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
I've been looking into getting a cruiser as a first bike for a number of reasons. 1. I hate crotch rockets. 2. They aren't crotch rockets... okay.

I've been looking at the Honda bikes but I don't like their lower end bikes. They just look ugly as hell in my opinion. The Suzuki Boulevard S40s and S50s seem like the better bike to me. The S40 goes for $3,500-$4,500 in my area and the S50 goes for $4,500-$7,000. What would be the better bike for me. I'm not a tall guy. I'm only 5'4" so I can't ride some huge bike. Also I'm not a gear head so I have no clue what any of the specs mean. I'm a gun smith but when it comes to cars I'm screwed.

I think the S50 seems like the better bike. What do you guys think or should there be another bike I should look into? Maybe something from Honda or Yamaha?

Suzuki Boulevard S40
2005-Suzuki-Boulevard-S40.jpg

Engine 40 cubic inch, four-stroke, single cylinder, air cooled with SOHC
Bore Stroke 94.0 x 94.0 mm
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Fuel System Mikuni BS40
Lubrication Wet Sump
Ignition Transistorized
Transmission 5-speed
Final Drive Belt Drive
Overall Length 2180 mm (85.8 in.)
Overall Width 720 mm (28.3 in.)
Overall Height 1105 mm (43.5 in.)
Seat Height 700 mm (27.6 in.)
Ground Clearance 135 mm (5.3 in.)
Wheelbase 1480 mm (58.3 in.)
Dry Weight 160 kg (352 lb.) 161 kg (355 lb.) CA model
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Twin shock, 5-way adjustable spring preload
Brakes Front Single hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear Mechanical drum
Tires Front 100/90-19 57H
Tires Rear 140/80-15 67H
Fuel Tank Capacity 10.5 liter (2.8 gal.)

Suzuki Boulevard S50
2005-Suzuki-Boulevard-S50.jpg

Engine 50 cubic inch, four-stroke, liquid cooled, 45 degree V-twin, SOHC, 8-valves, TSCC
Bore Stroke 83.0 x 74.4 mm
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Fuel System Front: MikuniTM BDS36 Rear: MikuniTM BS36
Lubrication Wet Sump
Ignition Digital/transistorized
Transmission 5-speed
Final Drive Shaft Drive
Overall Length 2250 mm (88.6 in.)
Overall Width 765 mm (30.1 in.)
Overall Height 1125 mm (44.3 in.)
Seat Height 700 mm (27.6 in.)
Ground Clearance 125 mm (4.9 in.)
Wheelbase 1560 mm (61.4 in.)
Dry Weight 201 kg (443 lb.) 202 kg (445 lb.) CA model
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Swingarm, oil damped, 5-way adjustable spring preload
Brakes Front Single hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear Single drum
Tires Front 100/90-19 57H
Tires Rear 140/90-15 M/C-70H
Fuel Tank Capacity 12 liter (3.2 gal.) 11 liter (2.9 gal.) CA model

That'd be nice if I own a motorcycle but there are too many idiot and redneck drivers on the roads...

I'd go for the second picture.

Only way to go. XR600 road/trail.

bike.jpg

I ride mine every day, It's quick and convenient, well muffled so it doesn't attract attention,... 15:53 sprocket ratio, almost too quick at times.

I bought it to get around the hills up at the mine, now it's a "round town" bike.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go with a Suzuki S50. Has a little more spring in it's step. Maybe in a year or so I'll have it. They go pretty cheap. Right now I'm thinking about trading in my Ford F-150 for a smaller Ford Ranger or a Toyota Tacoma.

Gas prices aren't killing me but they're not exactly what I call enjoyable. They're mostly cut into my hobbies.

Get you a Bug. My BFF has one. She drives almost 30 miles to work (60 miles round trip) and only has to fill up once every two or three weeks (depending on how much other driving she does). I wanted to trade my truck in, but my ex said no....and since its still in his name....*sigh*

But on the topic at hand....I'd go with the Suzuki. I don't have any personal experience with their motorcycles, but I do love their dirt bikes. :)

Have you thought about a Scooter instead of a motorcycle? They are a bit better for urban environments. I also prefer the auto-transmission. I nearly bought one but my US drivers license only allows me a 50cc engine and I need at least a 125cc. I have to get a French Drivers license to get a bigger bike. If I do it, I will certain get a scooter instead of a motorcycle.

Mind you, I am not a gearhead or a motorcycle freak. I find Scooters are easier to operate (no foot pedals) I was looking for something I can get around city and suburbia with. Scooter fits the bill.

The Suzuki Bergman 400 is quite a nice bike, of course there are cheaper/less powerful out there.

Last edited:
Hey mmarsh, I thought of getting one but sadly my male ego will not allow me. I'm a Truck and Motorcycle person.

I dunno if you'd want a dual-purpose dirt bike, but I have been looking into a Kawasaki KLR650. You can take it off-roading and the diesel version I was looking at gets 110 miles per gallon. But I am in the country, so I don't know if you'd want a street legal dirt bike for Florida suburbs.

I've been looking into getting a cruiser as a first bike for a number of reasons. 1. I hate crotch rockets. 2. They aren't crotch rockets... okay.

I've been looking at the Honda bikes but I don't like their lower end bikes. They just look ugly as hell in my opinion. The Suzuki Boulevard S40s and S50s seem like the better bike to me. The S40 goes for $3,500-$4,500 in my area and the S50 goes for $4,500-$7,000. What would be the better bike for me. I'm not a tall guy. I'm only 5'4" so I can't ride some huge bike. Also I'm not a gear head so I have no clue what any of the specs mean. I'm a gun smith but when it comes to cars I'm screwed.

I think the S50 seems like the better bike. What do you guys think or should there be another bike I should look into? Maybe something from Honda or Yamaha?

Not sure if you have seen this site or not but they offer some interesting reviews of both vehicles by actual users...

Suzuki Boulevard S40
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=22012

Suzuki Boulevard S50
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=22011

I prefer the more high speed bikes and have a Kawasaki ZX1200 but if I was looking for a Japanese cruiser I would probably look at Yamaha first as in my opinion they build the better "cruiser" motor, they are a little under powered but are very reliable and smooth.

This was my last bike (GPZ 750) - parted company 2002

Kawasaki%20GPZ750%20Turbo%20%201.jpg

This was my second last bike (VT 250) - parted company 1989

hondavt250-big.jpg

And this was my first bike (lego Harley D) - parted company aged 6

www.legogh.com_MOCpages_LEGO-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle.jpg_SPLASH.jpg

I think the Lego model might well be my next bike, it will match my ever slowing reflexes.

I certainly hope that you parting company with the previous models was not whilst at speed.

Back