First Lady Visits Afghanistan

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
ABC
June 8, 2008
World News With Charles Gibson (ABC), 6:30 PM
DAN HARRIS: Overseas now, First Lady Laura Bush made a surprise visit to Afghanistan today visiting the town where the Taliban committed once of its most outrageous crimes. ABC’s Jonathan Karl is the only American television reporter with the first lady.
JONATHAN KARL: The first lady’s trip was shrouded in such secrecy that not even President Karzai knew we were coming until less than 24 hours before her arrival, and those of us traveling with her were not able to tell anybody about it until after we landed.
In the remote province of Bamiyan, Mrs. Bush was given a welcome by New Zealand troops stationed there that must have made the Secret Service nervous.
Since 2001, Bamiyan has been infamous as the place where the Taliban destroyed the giant Buddhas, but now it is known for an entirely different reason. It is the first province in Afghanistan’s history to have a woman governor.
In an exclusive interview with ABC news, Mrs. Bush defended President Karzai from criticism that his government has not done enough to fight corruption and drug trafficking.
FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH: I just don’t agree with that. I mean, you’re coming from a totally decimated country. He was elected – overwhelmingly elected in a real, free election, the first in no telling how long and maybe ever in Afghan history.
KARL: It’s highly unusual for a first lady to make statements like that on foreign policy, but Mrs. Bush has made Afghanistan a signature issue, and she told us that she would continue working on Afghan issues even after she leaves the White House.
BUSH: I’ll have an interest in Afghanistan for the rest of my life.
KARL: On her visit here Mrs. Bush has announced $80 million in new projects for Afghanistan and urged other countries to do the same, saying that her message to the rest of the world is: Don’t give up on Afghanistan. Jonathan Karl, ABC News, Kabul.

Back