First impressions and help with my military English

Kitsune

Hi! I newly finished basic training in the Swedish armed forces. I had been to a few youth camps (or whatever one can call it) organized by the armed forces before, so military life wasn't completely new to me as I started basic training. However nothing that I had done earlier was quite like it. It was an unforgetable experience. Even if I continue in the military for many years (which I hope I will) I think that I will always remember how it was when it was all new.
So, this is what I'm curious about: what was basic training like for you? Especially if you come form other countries than Sweden. Any first impressions that were especially strong?

If someone has time (or simply loves to point out other people's mistakes) then I would be really greatful for some help with my blog from basic training: http://theothertrain.wordpress.com/category/gmu/ Spelling mistakes are not that important but my military English is rather bad and I really want to improve it. You don't have to read the whole blog (I like writing a lot :p ), only one entry or two (or less). Chances are that I've made the same mistakes throughout the whole blog.

I took basic training at Ft Dix, New Jersey from April thru June 1971 while the Vietnam war was ongoing. We were trained to go to Vietnam and to be grunts, Infantry. Ft Dix was really tough, much tougher than I expected. Luckily I was 21 when I dot drafted, so it was a bit easier for me, mentally at least. The worst thing about Dix was all the troop trails were filled with beach sand. Drill sargeants got to march on pavement. Try running for 20 miles on fine sand in stiff leather combat boots. 43 years later my ankles are still screwed up. It was very good training however. We had 3 trainees die in the 10 weeks of training, it was the real deal. Oh, I should also mention, the worst food ever. When I went in, I weighed 104.5 KG /230 lbs , 10 weeks later 63.4 kg / 135 lbs. Did I say, the food was vile?

Last edited:
3 trainees died in one training cycle? Wow, which training battalion allowed that to happen? I bet it got all kinds of press coverage.

1 guy collapsed on a road march, 1 guy got tossed out a 3'd story window for stealing $100 and landed on his head, the last guy died from spinal menningitis. The guy that collapsed while on the road march was in the lead platoon, I saw a drill sargeant kicked him in the head and called him a malingerer. He was already blacked out, I think. I don't remember his name, but he came from Puerto Rico and was in very good condition. Don't know if it was heat stroke, it was very hot and we had marched probably 20 miles. The next company behind us found him. As far as I know nothing was said about any of those deaths. I'd rather not say the name of the company. It was a long time ago.

Basic Training

Hi Kitsune Glad you enjoyed your basic training to be honest I think most of us enjoyed it maybe not at the time but when we look back on it I think it was fun. I will read your blog mate but to give you some idea of my basic training go to www.steveosbornebritisharmy.com there you will also be able to go onto my blog. I have wrote a book about my child hood and my 22 years service have a nosey it is funny - sad - but all true, cheers Steve

Your book seems interesting.
Yes, it's definitely like you say: sometimes basic training was fun while in other moments it didn't feel that pleasant at all. Especially the first weeks were tough. But afterwards, looking back on it, one realizes that even some of the toughest moments were fun and memorable, after all, moments that one wouldn't want to have been without

Back