first firearm

Hi there

We must make comparasion, between marksmanship and ideological lessons wich i take. I dont now is marks. good idea, when we have a lot s of violence in today schools.
My lessons was to confused i was 15, or 16 i can t remember, and suddenly we learn abot landmines, we have it, not real ones in classrom. So we learned, who are ours enemyes, i think even how to plant IED, crazy.
-Don t take your gunns to town-, like Cash song.

Stay well!

I think teaching people firearms safety, awareness and usage in schools under controlled conditions is a great idea, New Zealand being a predominantly rural nation it is not uncommon to have kids (5 years plus) out shooting rabbits and opossums with their parents and I think this takes a lot of the mystique out of guns, by the time they reach their teenage years they see firearms as nothing more than tools like a car, hammer or rugby ball.

New Zealand is fortunate, we don't have land mines or enemies (Other than Australians and South Africans on the sports field) and we generally don't go looking to make them.

I'm in agreement with Monty B- I think a basic class in the use and care of firearms would be a good thing. I grew up shooting beer bottles and squirrels in my back yard, like generations past, but the attitude in schools and society in general is that a firearm is like the 1600lb elephant in the room- it's there but nobody should broach the subject at any time.

Needless to say I freaked out my new English teacher when I walked in on the first day with steel-toed boots, talking about duck hunting, then plopped down in a chair and whipped out a copy of Guns & Ammo or the LA Sportsman, I forget which.

Living in the UK and being only 16 i've not been able to purchase my own rifle, however I often do shooting being involved in the ATC and i'll agree with many people that a .22 is often the best thing to learn with.

Cadets in the ATC first shoot the number 8 rifle which is a conversion of the number 2 used in WWII, and allthough it's single shot bolt action, it's basically idiotproof. I'd imagine having one in private hands would be especially easy and very good for improving groupings, and lets face it, even with the proper practice the safety only needs to be applied once every detail!

The only fall down of single shot rifles such as the no.8 is that if you are an unexperienced firer in a bad shooting position then it's likely that during reload you will lose your firing posisition and that in turn will put off your grouping!

Well theres my opinion anyway!

Back