First female operational & combat-ready F-22 pilot

Lunatik

July 23, 2008 (by Tyler Hemstreet) - Capt. Jammie Jamieson left the state of Washington with a fledgling love of flying. This weekend she returns as the first female operational and combat-ready pilot of the world's most advanced fighter aircraft, the F-22A Raptor.

Captain Jamieson, who was born in Tacoma and lived in Prosser from 1982 until she left for the Air Force Academy in 1996, will be on hand as part of the F-22A Raptor static display featured at McChord Air Expo 2008.

"I'm excited to come back to Washington," said Captain Jamieson, who is currently stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, where she is the mobility flight commander for the 525th Fighter Squadron. "(At the expo) you get to meet a lot of people excited about aviation and air power, so that's pretty inspiring. It's definitely an honor for me to be there."

The Prosser High grad got her first taste of flying growing up when she shared the cockpit with her uncle in his Cessna 172 during local flights around central Washington.

"I loved it," she said.

The quest that started in part from a strong desire to be an astronaut soon took on a more direct connection with flying at the academy as Captain Jamieson worked as an instructor in the glider program. After receiving her commission through the academy in 2000 and a master's degree in public policy in national security and political economy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 2002, Captain Jamieson completed the F-15C Basic Course at Tyndall AFB, Fla. After three years flying the F-15C in Alaska, she completed the F-22A Transition Qualification Course at Tyndall in April.

"It's cool to have a job with the view that it offers when I'm in the sky," she said.

Although her job as a fighter pilot requires long hours of flying practice each week, Captain Jamieson said it's an honor to be able to fly an aircraft like the Raptor.

"It's a challenging and exciting experience every day," the captain said. "Air-to-air combat is very fluid and is always changing."

Captain Jamieson said she's looking forward to educating people on the F-22 and what's it like to be a fighter pilot. There may even be some young pilots with big dreams in attendance -- something the captain can no doubt relate to.

"The kids are the most exciting," she said. "I'll be able to answer as many questions as I can ... I'm looking forward to that."

Courtesy of McChord Air Force Base, originally posted July 17th.

lajmfaabp.jpg

Source: http://www.f-16.net/news_article2987.html

I don't have much problem with them flying fighters. My concern is if they have to eject or somehow end up in a bad area on the ground somewhere, hopefully, they are good with their hand to hand skills and can kill folks to avoid being raped and all of that stuff. A woman would be used sexually much faster than a man (yes some freakies out there would) would be who was captured. They ought to have at least a pistol with no less than 100 rounds and a few knives in addition to other gear attached if they have to eject.

July 23, 2008 (by Tyler Hemstreet) - Capt. Jammie Jamieson left the state of Washington with a fledgling love of flying. This weekend she returns as the first female operational and combat-ready pilot of the world's most advanced fighter aircraft, the F-22A Raptor.

Captain Jamieson, who was born in Tacoma and lived in Prosser from 1982 until she left for the Air Force Academy in 1996, will be on hand as part of the F-22A Raptor static display featured at McChord Air Expo 2008.

"I'm excited to come back to Washington," said Captain Jamieson, who is currently stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, where she is the mobility flight commander for the 525th Fighter Squadron. "(At the expo) you get to meet a lot of people excited about aviation and air power, so that's pretty inspiring. It's definitely an honor for me to be there."

The Prosser High grad got her first taste of flying growing up when she shared the cockpit with her uncle in his Cessna 172 during local flights around central Washington.

"I loved it," she said.

The quest that started in part from a strong desire to be an astronaut soon took on a more direct connection with flying at the academy as Captain Jamieson worked as an instructor in the glider program. After receiving her commission through the academy in 2000 and a master's degree in public policy in national security and political economy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 2002, Captain Jamieson completed the F-15C Basic Course at Tyndall AFB, Fla. After three years flying the F-15C in Alaska, she completed the F-22A Transition Qualification Course at Tyndall in April.

"It's cool to have a job with the view that it offers when I'm in the sky," she said.

Although her job as a fighter pilot requires long hours of flying practice each week, Captain Jamieson said it's an honor to be able to fly an aircraft like the Raptor.

"It's a challenging and exciting experience every day," the captain said. "Air-to-air combat is very fluid and is always changing."

Captain Jamieson said she's looking forward to educating people on the F-22 and what's it like to be a fighter pilot. There may even be some young pilots with big dreams in attendance -- something the captain can no doubt relate to.

"The kids are the most exciting," she said. "I'll be able to answer as many questions as I can ... I'm looking forward to that."

Courtesy of McChord Air Force Base, originally posted July 17th.

Source: http://www.f-16.net/news_article2987.html

It intrigues me that we spout on about equality and yet we make a big deal about "the first woman this and the first woman that" surely if we genuinely believed in equality this would never have been reported as anything other than a successful F-22 flight.

They ought to have at least a pistol with no less than 100 rounds and a few knives in addition to other gear attached if they have to eject.

Jet pilots, at least in the Navy, always carry a pistol and at least one knife. I can't imagine that it's any different in the Air Force.

All you need is a pistol with a single bullet. And a knife backup. If you know what I mean.

If you're going to take that route you might as well just start issuing suicide bombs to fighter pilots.

This is good news anyways, on average women can take more G forces before passing out, and that's a major advantage in modern fighter jets. Most of these modern aircraft can take a lot more Gs than the human body.

If you're going to take that route you might as well just start issuing suicide bombs to fighter pilots.
Or just remove the ejection handle. Your plane gets shot you die.

Or just remove the ejection handle. Your plane gets shot you die.

No because you can avoid detection and manage to get rescued or make it back to friendly lines.
You guys really think a pilot with a pistol really has a chance? Only in a movie. All you're doing is giving the bad guys a free Beretta M9 with ammunition.
Plus a pilot is too damned expensive to just let go down with the aircraft.
Just get your ass captured if discovered, no Rambo bullsh*t, and the diplomats will *hopefully* bring you back home when it's all over. If you lack the faith, just take yourself out.

I don't think capture is an option these days, not with the enemies we are currently facing in the GWOT. Look what they do to European journalists, then imagine what they would do to an American who has been dropping bombs on them. If I was shot down I'd like a carbine and a bomb that could be set to detonate if my heart stops or I'm otherwise incapacitated. Unless there are already Americans nearby, I doubt you'd have much chance.

I don't think capture is an option these days, not with the enemies we are currently facing in the GWOT. Look what they do to European journalists, then imagine what they would do to an American who has been dropping bombs on them. If I was shot down I'd like a carbine and a bomb that could be set to detonate if my heart stops.

I was thinking in the context of a regular war against a not so execution happy enemy. The carbine probably won't do squat... the bomb... what if the heartbeat sensor and the detonator have their lines severed during the ejection? BOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!!
On the other hand, a dead guy makes a lousy hostage.

In movies a downed pilot doesn't only survive. He wins the war too. :)

BEHIND%20ENEMY%20LINES_FLR.jpg

Loved this flick. #2 really sucked though. :(

Well redneck I was thinking if your only options are slow death by torture or shooting as many as you can then exploding, I'll take the latter every time. If your opponent is in the habit of taking prisoners without torturing them that's quite different.

Also, that is probably the worst military-themed movie I've ever watched in my life. Owen Wilson is simply not cut out for that role, and even if he was, the entire premise is shoddy. Actually... I don't think I've ever seen a decent movie of that type that was not based on historical fact.

Last edited:
This is what could happen:

You (the downed pilot) will pull out your M9 and try to engage in a few guys looking for you. They have a dog, so they know you're in the area. In fact. They're following the dog and they're coming for you right now.
They probably have orders to capture you if possible.
You wait until one of the guys points his finger at you and shouts something. They turn to you. You squeeze the trigger and drop a guy. All the other guys hit the dirt and start spraying your area with bullets. You get hit in multiple spots. Their squad leader tells them to cease fire. You're a bleeding mess, but still alive. They plug the two bullet holes in your body and carry you off. The guy you dropped gets up. Your bullet just got lodged in an AK magazine on his web gear.
Well, that was constructive.

I guess what I was saying on the most basic level was: If you are faced with certain defeat, why not go down fighting? Also, how will they carry you off if you are now a crater in the ground? Of course if you can't reach the detonator and they patch you up... you're in deep.

Last edited:
This is what could happen:

You (the downed pilot) will pull out your M9 and try to engage in a few guys looking for you. They have a dog, so they know you're in the area. In fact. They're following the dog and they're coming for you right now.

Then why are you aiming at the OPFOR? Shoot the dog.

Back