First Car

With the price of gas these days? Get a hybrid or anything that is extremely fuel efficient. And damn me for saying that, cuz I love a powerful automobile ... :evil: Mini cooper is prolly one of the best quality for the price in the category.

You buying new or used?

Problems with hybrids is that they're expensive. Go ahead and price them, you'll see that they get pretty high up there. Not only that they're ugly, at least most of the ones I've seen. Toyota is making some popular models into hybrids though, like the RX 400h, and some other one (the name escapes me at the moment). Honda has made a Civic hybrid that doesn't look like crap either.

If you want something fuel efficient then there is stuff like the Scion, Toyota Echo, Honda Civic (I only mention it because it's an obvious choice, but I hate that car with a passion), VW Jetta, Mini Cooper, or the Ferrari F430. Oh wait, that's just on my Christmas list :avi: . I tried to mention cars that had some style to them. If it were my choice I'd get the Cooper S. That thing is a beauty at the autocross meets, and it doesn't eat up gas.

My first car was an SUV, so there goes the fuel economy part. It was actually an Isuzu Rodeo. I did a little bit of off roading in that thing, it wasn't anything hardcore, but it got me where I needed to go. No problems with it except a minor issue with the rear glass latch. Then about the same time I had a VW Jetta. That was great until the battery exploded and the electronics took a crap on me. It was a brand new car ('99) and the thing was going nuts. The radio would turn on when I locked the doors and weird stuff like that. I got rid of that thing in a hurry, and found me a BMW :)

in all seriousness, get a little rust bucket (well ok maybe not) which you can afford to have a few accidents in and it wont cost you too much to fix. the worst thing you could do is buy a new-ish car, you have to accept the fact that you are going to have an accident or two while you are learning and its best to try and cut the ammount of money you spend.
secondly, look for a car with good fuel economy. we dont want you spending all your hard earned just getting from point A to B
third, find a car which is the right size for you. there is nothing worse than driving a car which is way too bug and it messes with your spatial abilties

I think we should get more information from you actually. Is this going to be the first car you purchase? I assumed you already had driving experience. Accidents happen, but they are a lot less likely if you have experience. Or is this a first car you will ever drive? If that's the case then go with something used. Used cars will have lower insurance rates and can sometimes be cheaper to fix. It depends on the car. The draw back to used vehicles is that the safety equipment isn't as advanced compared to newer cars. The seats won't have whiplash protection for one, airbags might be an option (they are standard on pretty much all new cars), side airbags and head airbags probably won't be an option. The way I see it, a new Scion can be bought for around $10k, a little more than a used car. But with it you get all the modern safety equipment, and a pretty low insurance cost since the parts aren't too hard to replace. But still the whole insurance thing depends on you.

1986_VL_Commodore.jpg

Get a Holden VL Commodore. Cheap, and everybody has owned one at some stage of their lives. Commonly driven by teenagers who have just got their licence. Parts are $2 a dozen, and chances are it'll get stolen by the time your bored with it.

Paul_Sices_VL_Commodore_smaller.JPG

he has an american flag, so i'm guessing he lives in the US. if that's the case i haven't seen any holdens around.

If you're from America, first off count out imports. Were fighting a war support our economy not Japans. With that cleared up, I suggest a new or used Ford Taurus, Chevy Cavalier/ Malibu, or Dodge Neon, those are perfect fuel efficient cars for a beginner.

If your looking for a truck, the Dodge Dakota, or Ford Ranger are great. My dad and me buy, sell, fix, and restore cars, and those are very reliable good choices. :cowb:

arg
dont get a holden, they suck!!!
and they are gas guzzlers!!!!

Yeah I know, but how often do you see P platers driving VL's.

he has an american flag, so i'm guessing he lives in the US. if that's the case i haven't seen any holdens around.

I know he's from the States. just thought I'd throw in a stupid Australian suggestion. You've got Holdens in the US, just they are called Isuzu there (e.g. Isuzu Rodeo), and you've got the Pontiac GTO, that is a Holden Monaro with an ugly front.

Ohhh Isuzu thats a very bad company over here lol. Probably a Ford maybe. Maybe an old Volvo.
Ah man I think i saw a Peaugot or Opel or something today its so tiny. Could be so fuel efficient.

V8 super car series? :) no offense, but that's comparable to the japan gt series. both of them are so rigged to make their domestic cars look good it's sad. an example? when the McLaren F1 was entered in the Japan GT series it got it's butt kicked by a lot of the Japanese manufacturers. the reason? well the officials deemed the V12 too powerful to compete so they reduced the HP by adding restrictors. fine, they did the same thing for the Le Mans car, but the Le Mans McLaren swept the series with a 1-4 position win. but in Japan the McLaren was beat by Supras and Skylines. that just doesn't make sense in my book....

egoz said:
V8 super car series? :) no offense, but that's comparable to the japan gt series. both of them are so rigged to make their domestic cars look good it's sad. an example? when the McLaren F1 was entered in the Japan GT series it got it's butt kicked by a lot of the Japanese manufacturers. the reason? well the officials deemed the V12 too powerful to compete so they reduced the HP by adding restrictors. fine, they did the same thing for the Le Mans car, but the Le Mans McLaren swept the series with a 1-4 position win. but in Japan the McLaren was beat by Supras and Skylines. that just doesn't make sense in my book....

But what has the Japan GT series got to do with the V8 Supercars???????????

i meant the V8 series is like the Japan series where the intent is to market the domestic vehicles. to do that they limit import entries and beef up the domestic cars to look better.

i dunno what's goin on here but i'm just gonna say that my uncle (great great great [ya get it]) invented the Oldsmobile also known as the horseless wagon. and his name was Ransom E. Olds!

I'm somehow related to Alexander Graham Bell (Inventor of the telephone for those of you who didn't know)

Back