Firefox, Netscape, or IE?

pte_clarke said:
Well after awhile of using Firefox I have to say.....WAY BETTER!!!!
Thanks alot for introducing this program to me :D

If you are looking for an email client I also recommend the Thunderbird package for Firefox its a nice simple little program with most of the options of Outlook Express.

Internet Explorer and Opera (like opera download feature).

Will never ever use Firefox again in my entire life. :lol:

AlexKall said:

I have to admit I liked Opera the tabbed page system was excellent but found it too complicated for what it really was Firefox to me seemed more like a blend of the best bits of IE and Opera in a tiny package.

What problems did you have with Firefox?

MontyB said:
AlexKall said:

I have to admit I liked Opera the tabbed page system was excellent but found it too complicated for what it really was Firefox to me seemed more like a blend of the best bits of IE and Opera in a tiny package.

What problems did you have with Firefox?

Its a problem with Firefox way of reading HTML code, which gives it a security problem, as easy simple lines of code and crash firefox while it doesnt crash IE as it doesn't read the code exact, it can forsee things. Firefox isn't an angel when it comes to security, its basicly just that its done on GNU as of i know it, which means that those who can make it crash can also change the code of firefox, this cant be done in IE as the code is protected. Firefox can quite easaly make your computer overheat by doing the same operations over and over till the prosessor overheats, unless you have a nice set of many fans. IE usually only have problems that is related to privecy security, such as people taking over the computers, but this can be fixed with 3rd party security software.

This is the reason to why I chose IE over Firefox, both have security issues, its just up to you which problems you like "best" ;)

Also never versions of IE (the current one i'm using for example) stops popups, which can easaly be turned of if you'd like.

And third thing. If you have popups on all sites, including those that shouldn't give you popups, its a program on your computer rather then a problem with IE, only reason to why it only comes up when using IE is because its made for IE, as its the most common browser, its poinless to make a ad program for a browser which the majority doesn't use. This is why more things happen to IE, its more targeted by these people, when and if firefox will become standard, it will be the target instead of IE, this is when IE will be favored over Firefox for it seems more secure as its less targeted.

i just showed my friend your post and he works on computers, he`s very techie, and he answered like this

He's talking pure shite.
Ask him about activex, HTML standards and targeted exploits and their respective response times in making updates available to shut him up.

and this

to me, the only valid point he makes is that the browser (firefox) is untested in so far that it hasn't as yet been a prime target for malicious coders. perhaps in time this will become a major issue, but for the time being the reason that it isn't being targetted makes it the browser of choice.
nothing is fool-proof and all software can be attacked. perhaps if microsoft had addressed the problems created by some of its sloppy coding then maybe people wouldn't be looking toward firefox as a more than capable alternative.

Hi,

OMG AlexKall Did Microsoft pay you or somethign to post that :shock:

Its a problem with Firefox way of reading HTML code, which gives it a security problem, as easy simple lines of code and crash firefox while it doesnt crash IE as it doesn't read the code exact, it can forsee things.

IE and FireFox do read the Code a bit Differently .......... it's the IE that is at fault though ......... IE is too Loose and Ignore Some HTML Codeing errors .......... FIreFox on the Other hand has some Strict HTML type checking ( a good thing in the End ) ........... I can give you a few Exapmles where IE ignores the Errors where as FireFox Dosen't ......... it's not Much to be worried About as a End User ......... it's Programmer's problem.

But Security problem ?..... FireFox crashing Due to this? ...... :shock: NOPE

Firefox isn't an angel when it comes to security, its basicly just that its done on GNU as of i know it, which means that those who can make it crash can also change the code of firefox, this cant be done in IE as the code is protected.

Some of the Open Source projects have made a Name for themself ....... Linux and FireFox are the Prime examples of this ......... to say that OpenSource Compromise Security would be a Wrong statement ......... it works both ways .......... OpenSource means millions and Millions users are watching the code lookng for Flaws and Bugs .......... wheres the Closed/Protected Code has to rely on their In house Programmetrs and testers to find all Bugs and vanurabilites.

MOst of the Government Are Usign Linux ........... as Windows is made by a American Companey and in the case of a Conflict the US Governmert can put Pressure on microsoft ...... you never know ;) ..... but in the case of Open Source they can Look at the Code ........ maybe Modify to suit their needs .

Indian Government Trusts Linux ;) .

New Bugs and vanurabilities are found Both IE and FireFox ........ but check the track record .....who is faster to launch a Fix or patch ...... IE really has a Bad track record when it comes to patchig their shitty Browser ......... they have long Ignored IE ..... that's why it's loosing users to FireFox .

Firefox can quite easaly make your computer overheat by doing the same operations over and over till the prosessor overheats, unless you have a nice set of many fans

It's not even Funny Alex ......... you are trying to Scare me now..

Gone are the days when these Beauties refused to Sit in a room without a Air Conditioning and coiundn't bear the Stinch of the Cigg Smoke ...... Computers are Very sturdy and Tough these days ...... a Current Computer can handel Millions of Processes simultaniously ........ and no a few thousend process here and there aren't gonna do much...... no Sir No way .........you Comment holds absoluty no water .... Nuff said .

And third thing. If you have popups on all sites, including those that shouldn't give you popups, its a program on your computer rather then a problem with IE, only reason to why it only comes up when using IE is because its made for IE, as its the most common browser, its poinless to make a ad program for a browser which the majority doesn't use. This is why more things happen to IE, its more targeted by these people, when and if firefox will become standard, it will be the target instead of IE, this is when IE will be favored over Firefox for it seems more secure as its less targeted.

IE usually only have problems that is related to privecy security, such as people taking over the computers, but this can be fixed with 3rd party security software.

Okey Somewhat True ........ I agree IE is still the most Popular hence more targetted .......... YOu are Attacking a Wider Audience by targettign IE .......... Most of the Spyware and Adwares are targetted towards IE due to this........ when FireFox become at par with IE we will see how it fares .

You can make IE somewhat Secure using 3rd party Tools ....... But the point is .... it's the Core of IE that has the Problem ..... 3rd party toold bring More complexity and bring with new Holes to attack .... Until they address the Core issue it's not gonna help much in the long term...... IE is too much ignored my Microsoft ....... no timely patching and bug Fixing...... Look at the Size of IE and FireFox ........ FireFox is 4 MB and IE well 60 -70 MB download ?

I didn't Expect Something Like that for you Alex :? :?

Source:Forbes

Better Browser Now The Best

NEW YORK - Once I turned my back on Internet Explorer, I never looked back.

Except for times when I use one online database that supports Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) dismal excuse for a browser, I never have much use for the blue lower-case "e" on my desktop. And more people now agree with me than ever before.

I've already shared in this column my affection for the open source browser that used to be called Firebird but is now known as Firefox. It is, in my estimation, the very best Web browser in existence. I use it not only on my Windows machine, but on my two Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) Macintosh computers at home, even to the exclusion of Apple's own browser, Safari.

Until last week, Firefox had been in developmental releases only--numbered as versions 0.8 and 0.9 in order to indicate that it was still a work in progress. Even so, it has quickly become the best thing to happen to the Web in a long time and should probably cause browser developers in Redmond to start taking notes--fast. It is available for free at Mozilla.

Source:FireFox.com

Why Use Firefox?

“Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser.” - USA Today

“Better than Internet Explorer by leaps and bounds.” - FORBES

Popup Blocking

Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Firefox's built in popup blocker.

Tabbed Browsing
View more than one web page in a single window with this time saving feature. Open links in the background so that they're ready for viewing when you're ready to read them. Find out more...
Privacy and Security

Built with your security in mind, Firefox keeps your computer safe from malicious spyware by not loading harmful ActiveX controls. A comprehensive set of privacy tools keep your online activity your business.

Smarter Search

Google Search is built right into the toolbar, and there is a plethora of other search tools including Smart Keywords (type "dict <word>" in the Location bar), and the new Find bar (which finds text as you type without covering up anything).

Live Bookmarks <-- one of my Fav featrures.

RSS integration lets you read the latest news headlines and read updates to your favorite sites that are syndicated. Find out more...

Hassle-Free Downloading

Files you download are automatically saved to your Desktop so they're easy to find. Fewer prompts mean files download quicker.
Fits Like a Glove

Simple and intuitive, yet fully featured, Firefox has all the functions you're used to - Bookmarks, History, Full Screen, Text Zooming to make pages with small text easier to read, etc.

S, M, L or XL—It's Your Choice

Firefox is the most customizable browser on the planet. Customize your toolbars to add additional buttons, install new Extensions that add new features, add new Themes to browse with style, and use the adaptive search system to allow you to search an infinite number of engines. Firefox is as big or small as you want.
Setup's a Snap

At only 4.7MB (Windows), Firefox takes just a few minutes to download over a slow connection and seconds over a fast connection. The installer gets you set up quickly, and the new Easy Transition system imports all of your settings - Favorites, passwords and other data from Internet Explorer and other browsers - so you can start surfing right away.

A Developer's Best Friend
Firefox comes with a standard set of developer tools including a powerful JavaScript and CSS error/warning console, and an optional Document Inspector that gives detailed insight about your pages.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

KC72 said:
i just showed my friend your post and he works on computers, he`s very techie, and he answered like this

He's talking pure shite.
Ask him about activex, HTML standards and targeted exploits and their respective response times in making updates available to shut him up.

I suggest your techie friend reads my response, I said its a program under the GNU, its an open source software.

As i said: "which means that those who can make it crash can also change the code of firefox" Meaning anyone can get hold of the source code and make their changes and redistribute it, give it to mozilla and such for futher redist. This makes it for obiously more frequent updates, which has already been stated by me ;)
Also ask him to put more thought into that response above so that I can get a sense of what hes meaning. Posting a few words isn't much help for me to know what he ment

to me, the only valid point he makes is that the browser (firefox) is untested in so far that it hasn't as yet been a prime target for malicious coders. perhaps in time this will become a major issue, but for the time being the reason that it isn't being targetted makes it the browser of choice.
nothing is fool-proof and all software can be attacked. perhaps if microsoft had addressed the problems created by some of its sloppy coding then maybe people wouldn't be looking toward firefox as a more than capable alternative.

Have you used latest IE with the latest versions of XP? Many things has been addressed, not all, as said, IE isnt open source which MS wouldn't make a dime on. As of what i know, mozilla makes no money of the firefox browser, or? maybe comersial and if someone wants it on CD but thats not software frofit

Hi,

IE isnt open source which MS wouldn't make a dime on. As of what i know, mozilla makes no money of the firefox browser, or? maybe comersial and if someone wants it on CD but thats not software frofit

Open Source is a Community Style Work .......... If you Know Programming or if you are good at Testing ......... :) go help FireFox .

Developers can help Mozilla by fixing bugs, adding new features, making Mozilla smaller and faster, and making Mozilla development easier for others.

People Make Plugins For FireFox then Submit it to them ........they then get Approved ....

It mostly works this way .............. apart form the Voluntaruy Donations FireFox recieves.

Make a Donation

FireFox Rocks

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Umm I really didn't want to start a fight over Firefox vs Explorer I was just interested to know what problems Firefox had and whether they warranted a look at another browser or a return to Opera.

Yes, first of all that and the second thing is that I don't want to use Microsoft Products if I don't have to

Back