Firearm for tank crewS?

For me, the sidearm weapon would be M1911, and the primary weapon would be AKSU-74....

As for a pistol I'd give them the standard pistol that the ground forces use. Logistically wise it would be one of the best ways of going about arming a tank crewman.
However I doubt that a pistol is sufficient so again I'd say that a carabine would the best.

It depends where I was deployed. But in general, I'd say the M-4 and a M-9. The AK-74SU is an interesting choice as well.

P90 due to its short length, maybe Steyr AUG A2 with a 14" barrel if you want ammo commonality with everyone else.

By the way, what is the current armament for US tank crews? My friend is shipping off to train to be part of an Army Abrams crew, and he says they get M4s or M240s.

Last edited:
Steyr's been outsourced to an Australian company, so I guess that would depend on the tank's country of origin. Really it's the sort of question that needs to be answered from a logistics standpoint- what is issued to other soldiers, accepted, and standardized?

P90 due to its short length, maybe Steyr AUG A2 with a 14" barrel if you want ammo commonality with everyone else.

By the way, what is the current armament for US tank crews? My friend is shipping off to train to be part of an Army Abrams crew, and he says they get M4s or M240s.

M-4 and M-9, M240 is a gunners coax and a loaders station weapon, thus deemed crew served weapons.

Whatever you choose it should share common spares with other weapons issued within that force. Nothing is much use unless you have access to spares where ever you go.

Whatever you choose it should share common spares with other weapons issued within that force. Nothing is much use unless you have access to spares where ever you go.

Thats not really an issue with armor since an armored unit usually has a lot of logistics with it anyways...Also if you choose a weapon thats reasonably reliable, you wont have much need for spares, since tank crews rarely fire their personal fire arm....

L22A2 carbine, as issued to Royal Armoured Corps tank crews in Iraq; note that it has a Picatinny rail above the front grip

Caliber: 5.56x45 NATO
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 780 mm (709 mm in Carbine variant)
Barrel length: 518 mm (442 mm in Carbine variant)
Weight: 4.13 kg (with SUSAT optical sight and no magazine); 5 kg with SUSAT and loaded with magazine with 30 rounds of ammunition
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Rate of fire: 650 rounds per minute
Effective range: about 500 meters (with SUSAT sights)

2390a8e7.gif

Last edited:
L22A2 carbine, as issued to Royal Armoured Corps tank crews in Iraq; note that it has a Picatinny rail above the front grip

Caliber: 5.56x45 NATO
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 780 mm (709 mm in Carbine variant)
Barrel length: 518 mm (442 mm in Carbine variant)
Weight: 4.13 kg (with SUSAT optical sight and no magazine); 5 kg with SUSAT and loaded with magazine with 30 rounds of ammunition
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Rate of fire: 650 rounds per minute
Effective range: about 500 meters (with SUSAT sights)

2390a8e7.gif

How bad the recoil is on this? The forearm grip must help. but I bet it kicks like an angry mule.

There is very little kick from this gun, the grips are there for you to hold it firmly to improve the accuracy

Back