Firearm for tank crewS?

Hi there

Maybe this gonna be interesting, Croatian Army tenks crews got ERO 9x19 mm,
same as UZI, but Croatian product.

Stay well!:jump:

israeli tank crews used to have the uzi before 1973...one of the lessons learned was that tank crews carrying uzis stood no chance of survival when dismounting

Thrue

israeli tank crews used to have the uzi before 1973...one of the lessons learned was that tank crews carrying uzis stood no chance of survival when dismounting

Yes this is a thrue thing, but are you gonna say that you had lot of Mercava destroyed, or what? Tank crews are not allone, they should never be, so they can carry RPG, or M 240, but they need a wpn for first hand not for a long defense war.
Small automatic pistol, or whatever.:firedevi:
Stay well my brother!!

Last edited:
Yes this is a thrue thing, but are you gonna say that you had lot of Mercava destroyed, or what?

There were no Merkava tanks in 1973, unfortunatly. Mainly M48, Centurions, some Shermans and T-55s. Israel lost about 400 tanks in that war.

Tank crews are not allone, they should never be, so they can carry RPG, or M 240, but they need a wpn for first hand not for a long defense war.

RPG is pushing it. The M240 is mounted on the tank and israeli crews take it with them when the tank is hit, if they have the time. However, the Uzi and its relatives has a practical range of 50 meters, compared to 150-250 with most assault rifles. if you get off your tank and face even a squad of infantry at medium range, your dead unless you have a short assault rifle.

The L22A2 has a range of 500 metres and is only 36 inches long, it can fire 650 rounds a minute which gives you range and hitting power. Any one that thinks a pistol is a good idea must be a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic

It may be of interest to know that in WWII in the European Theater U.S. tank crewman were not issued ANY personal weapon. The idea being that they wouldn't need one inside a tank. Naturally, the soldiers made sure to obtain a weapon by any means as soon as possible. Later, the M-3 submachinegun became available and racks were welded inside the tank to secure those guns.
I am a former U.S. tank man. We were issued with pistols (m1911) and we also had two M-3 SMGs in the tank.
If a tank is hit or disabled it may be necessary to get out and get out quick! So a pistol attached to the body is about the only realistic option. However, sometimes you have to stand security watch around the tank laager and a shoulder weapon is very welcome.
U.S. tank crewman today are trained with the pistol and also the M-4 carbine.

I agree with the post about the P90. It is one of the least clumsy weapons in the world (for its range and power) so it shouldn't be difficult to drag out of a tank. I don't think one would last long with it against a squad of mad-men with AKs and RPGs though. I also think the Colt M1911 is a good choice.

Back