Firearm Quiz

Righto, an easy one.

Which automatic weapon utilised a delayed blowback system that relied upon the principle of, the adhesion of dissimilar metals under pressure.

I have no idea what that could be.

I'm sure if I knew the principle of adhesion of dissimlar metals under pressure I could figure it out.

Maybe you could give a hint or two just to keep the thread alive?

This part could be removed from the weapon and it had no effect other than the rate of fire increased by about 100 rounds/min. It was dispensed with in later models to minimise on the cost of machining. Viewed from the front or rear the piece looked somewhat like the letter "H" and was made of brass, or a brassy alloy.

Correct!

The piece is called a "Blish Lock" and slides into both the top of the bolt and the bottom of the bolt carrier (actuator). The principle is called the Blish Principle. I know for sure that it was used in the 1928A1 and was not in the M1 version. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the M1 was the first model made without it. This model incorporated many changes for the simplicity of manufacture, One piece bolt, no cooling fins on the barrel, no Cutts Compensator, simple rear sight and side cocking handle.

Ok. That was a good one. I had to reference one of my I.V. Hogg book, though.

During and after WWI, the US built and issued two types of foreign designed rifles to its troops, the last foreign infantry rifles to be issued to regular US soldiers. What were they and what was their country of origin?

Last edited:
In WW1 the US issued a small number of the Canadian made Ross in .303 cal and also used the 7.62 Russian Moisin-Nagant. They also manufactured the P13/P14 in 30-06, originally designed by British Enfield in .280cal.
Only the P14 went to war as the logistics problems made the others impractical. There's three that I can think of.

Senojekips, you're correct. (Pretty sure the Ross never saw action with US soldiers)

The Enfield P14 (US Rifle M1917)
And the Remington-made Mosin-Nagants (US Rifle M1916)

But actually the American Mosin-Nagants (being produced for the Tsar) did see service with American Expeditionary Forces in Eastern and Western Siberia.
Kc5.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the Moisin-Nagants. The Ross was taken for training use only and never saw active service.

Sorry, I thought that I had fluffed the answer.

I haven't got a question ready that can't be Googled. Have this one on me, go for it Bugfatty.

Thanks seno. OK. Images can't be googled so.

What assault rifle is this?

Attachments

• M4 Carbine.jpg
    M4 Carbine.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Qbz 95.

You can go again, that was a beauty. I must confess it took me a while to find as i had no knowledge of it previously.

Last edited:
Yeah thats it.

Ok, what American self-loading rifle was tested by the Japanese in the 1930s but abbandoned due to a major flaw with the ammunition?

I'm just guessing here, but not being able to think of many American pre war self loaders, I'll go for the '03 Springfield fitted with the Pedersen device. That was a pretty crappy round.

No. You're warm though.

It was more of a problem with the cartridges' maintenance and preperation inorder to get them function in the rifle.

You've got me scratching my head now,... if I get splinters under my finger nails I'll blame you. Time for Smith and Smiths Military Firearms of the World, I think.

Can't see anything obvious, the next guess would be the Johnson which although it was designated M1941 was actually available earlier. That was America's only recoil operated full bore rifle, and therefore could have had the same problem as the Italian Breda MG in that the ammo needed to be lightly oiled to ensure reliable operation?

This guessing is doing nothing for my ego, LOL

Back