Firearm Quiz

Depends on who you ask. The answer could be "one" or "two" or "we're not sure but we think more were created." Also depends on whether you're talking about the pistol or the carbine.

I was about 90% certain I was right on that. :)

Lets see if I can get you with this one:

Easy: Who designed the automatic pistols for Japan in the first half of the 1900's?

Hard: Name the pistol models.

Kijiro Nambu was the designer.

This is a list of his designs.

Type A Model 1902 Grandpa Nambu

Type A Model 1902 Modified

Baby Nambu

Type 14 Nambu

Type 94 Shiki Kenju

Natch. ;)

I have a feeling I would have to find something ridiculously obscure to get you.

What was the name of John Browning's mother's cat? :D

Was it Kitty?

I realize that I did not answer the last question, but I do have a ridiculously obscure one that might be able to shut 5.56 up for a second or so! I'll ask it, and if you think that I am out of order, do not answer it and I will wait for my turn, which may come on a really good day in about fifteen years or so.

The British were experimenting with different calibres before the US forced the adoption of the 7.62 NATO round. They built an experimental system based on the 4.85mm round, and the SAW in that calibre had a quality that made it completely unique among all machine guns ever made. What was that quality?

Heheheheheheheh...

(Actually, should not laugh. The last time I laughed, the question did not last very long.)

The British 4.85x49mm was designed and tested during the 1970s. Way after the 7.62NATO was adopted. The Cartridge that the british were playing with back when the 7.62NATO was adopted was the . 280 British for the EM-2 Rifle. That was around the 1950s. The 4.85x49mm wasn't even around yet.

As for the waepon that the British were design with was the 4.85x49mm LSW. Which gave birth to the SA-80 Light Support Weapon. Which is known for it's crappy quality.

What quality does the L86A1 have? It is better as a Sniper Rifle than as a Light Squad Automatic Weapon.

Natch. ;)

I have a feeling I would have to find something ridiculously obscure to get you.

What was the name of John Browning's mother's cat? :D

Was it tinkle?

The British 4.85x49mm was designed and tested during the 1970s. Way after the 7.62NATO was adopted. The Cartridge that the british were playing with back when the 7.62NATO was adopted was the . 280 British for the EM-2 Rifle. That was around the 1950s. The 4.85x49mm wasn't even around yet.

As for the waepon that the British were design with was the 4.85x49mm LSW. Which gave birth to the SA-80 Light Support Weapon. Which is known for it's crappy quality.

What quality does the L86A1 have? It is better as a Sniper Rifle than as a Light Squad Automatic Weapon.

Was it tinkle?

Well, you are getting close. Yes, it was very accurate, but the quality showed on automatic fire.

Was it Tabby?

Hmmm..... I've been racking my brain and I cannot come up with anything. As for any information that I have on file for the 4.85x49mm LSW. Nothing really jumps up at me about it's automatic fire. Not really that much info on that weapon system out on the net or in literature.

I mean the SA80 was really nothing more than a AR-18 rebuilt into a bullpup configuration, like the previous design: the EM-2.

I think you got me beat on this on.

For the cat question, was it named Bess after the British Brown Bess Musket?

YES YES YES!!! For once I beat him!!!! ohyeah, ohyeah, ohyeah... (picture me doing a little dance)

Now that I have that bit of immaturity out of me, the answer is a weird one. The L-86A1 is the only automatic weapon ever made that did not suffer from split groupings. Nobody was ever able to figure out why, but the first, second and third rounds went right to the same place. Every other automatic weapon sends the second round somwhere else, and usually, the third round is somewhere in the close vicinity of the second. When they changed the calibre to 5.56, the split group re-appeared, and they were never able to get rid of it. One of those strange-but-true parts of firearm design, and with that one, I have finished sharing all of my knowledge of arcane firearms history.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I shall jump start this again here.

What John Browning design was adopted by the Imperial Russian Army and was chambered for the 7.62x54R cartridge?

What rifle is built with a built-in bottle opener and what was the reason for adding it? (Besides to open bottles)

The Israeli Galil ARM, and the reason was to discourage the troops from using the lips of their weapon's magazines to remove bottle tops because the possibility of the damaged lips causing miss feeds.

Righto, it's time for this to become a knowledge competition rather than who can Google the answers quickest.

Name the military rifle which is fitted with an officially designated "spare part", and when would you use the spare part?

Back