FIRE fighting back against the University of Delaware

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
University of Delaware Requires Students to Undergo Ideological Reeducation

FIRE Press Release
NEWARK, Del., October 30, 2007

The University of Delaware subjects students in its residence halls to a shocking program of ideological reeducation that is referred to in the university's own materials as a "treatment" for students' incorrect attitudes and beliefs. The Orwellian program requires the approximately 7,000 students in Delaware's residence halls to adopt highly specific university-approved views on issues ranging from politics to race, sexuality, sociology, moral philosophy, and environmentalism. The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is calling for the total dismantling of the program, which is a flagrant violation of students' rights to freedom of conscience and freedom from compelled speech.

"The University of Delaware's residence life education program is a grave intrusion into students' private beliefs," FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. "The university has decided that it is not enough to expose its students to the values it considers important; instead, it must coerce its students into accepting those values as their own. At a public university like Delaware, this is both unconscionable and unconstitutional."

The university's views are forced on students through a comprehensive manipulation of the residence hall environment, from mandatory training sessions to "sustainability" door decorations. Students living in the university's eight housing complexes are required to attend training sessions, floor meetings, and one-on-one meetings with their Resident Assistants (RAs). The RAs who facilitate these meetings have received their own intensive training (link below) from the university, including a "diversity facilitation training" session at which RAs were taught, among other things (link below), that "[a] racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality."

continued...

Link to article
http://s3.amazonaws.com/thefirecache/8555.html

Intensive Training http://www.thefire.org/index.php/article/8546.html

Among Other Things http://www.thefire.org/index.php/article/8552.html

:cen: Delaware. I will advise my students and their parents first thing Monday morning. I would unenroll myself or my child were they a student at this "university".

If I were a student there, I wouldn't show up for ideological 'treatments'.

I assume this school is a private one?

If so then surely when you sign up there you are agreeing to their rules, if you don't like them then go else where.

This whole scenario is a nightmare. Therefore the Imams who call for the elimination of all kuffars (non-muslims) are not racist?

Do me a whatsit favour. All this B******* has got to stop, it is polluting our lives.

Last edited:
I assume this school is a private one?

If so then surely when you sign up there you are agreeing to their rules, if you don't like them then go else where.

Whether this school is private or public this should not be allowed to happen. I know I would protest this at the risk of being kicked out if I were attending the U of Delaware. I don't think I'd want a diploma from a university with such a policy.

Although UD receives public funding for being a land-grant, sea-grant, space-grant and urban-grant state-supported research institution, it is also privately chartered. At present, the school's endowment is valued at about $1.2 billion US. The University of Delaware was called a "Public Ivy" in Greene's Guides published in 2001.

Hmmmmm.... it's a private school so they do have the legal right to brainwash folks. But the question with me is it ethically right to brainwash people? No they don't.... I would be raising hell and I would be kicked out in a heart beat. I'm a free thinker and I value my freedom of thought and freedom of thinking. I am not a sheeple of society, I do not have a herd thought pattern.

Sorry bit I would never send my kids there.

Whether this school is private or public this should not be allowed to happen. I know I would protest this at the risk of being kicked out if I were attending the U of Delaware. I don't think I'd want a diploma from a university with such a policy.

I don't disagree with you but the whole point is that if you don't like it don't enroll.

It is a effectively a private enterprise and as such it has to make ends meet therefore if enough people agree with you it will have to change or go broke and if they don't agree with you then the school will carry on and you can get your diploma from somewhere that meets your requirements.

I don't disagree with you but the whole point is that if you don't like it don't enroll.

It is a effectively a private enterprise and as such it has to make ends meet therefore if enough people agree with you it will have to change or go broke and if they don't agree with you then the school will carry on and you can get your diploma from somewhere that meets your requirements.

That's pretty much what I said. They're a private school. It's 100% legal and I think it's 100% unethical but they have a right to do so. You enroll at that school on your own free will.

I don't support it but they have a right to do so.

It's a private school, they have the right to do this. A lot of private schools require some sort of theological schooling. Take my hometown, the University of Sioux Falls is a private school that requires students to take many theology classes, I think like 18 credits worth, over their career at school. This is more drastic than most, but it's just a continuation of the same principles applied at many schools. It's not like these are impressionable kids we're dealing with here who will believe every word said I would bet money a majority of the students already share these beliefs because it's a private school. In American private schools=religious schools, usually Catholic.

This is a different matter, and reflects on the whole society, not just those attending. Others should have no opinion?? Agendas should be questioned, in my view.

Actually he has a point. If it's a private institution, they have the right to do this. It's their freedom. No one can tell me how I run my house, no one can tell them how to run their house.

The students at the University of Delaware deserve to have a say in the matter, faculty and alumni of UD also, and only to a very small extent to the public in Delaware since the school receives some public funds. The public's involvement should stretch no farther than "We'll take our money elsewhere." though. Sure others can have an opinion, but actual influence over this process? None.

And to the person who called this a "re-education camp" I ask you this: How many people in China, North Korea or the former Soviet Union chose to go to re-eduction camp? These students are choosing to go to this private school, I bet they were accepted to many other schools, including state schools, where they wouldn't have to put up with such a system.

I called it a re-education camp.
I'll admit that was bit over the top.
I agree with you here. Don't like their policies and views? Don't enroll here.

So [we] aren't allowed to take it apart bit by bit? *Dang it that sucks.*

Either way, private or not, that is some messed up views. Everyone wants to people "tolerate" other's Lifestyles, and everything they do in them... My question is where is that line drawn?

So [we] aren't allowed to take it apart bit by bit? *Dang it that sucks.*

Either way, private or not, that is some messed up views. Everyone wants to people "tolerate" other's Lifestyles, and everything they do in them... My question is where is that line drawn?

From the schools point of view the line is drawn at the point of maximum efficiency (maximum students, minimum overheads and least trouble).

The only way to change this is to affect the schools bottom line by reducing its efficiency to the point that it has to find a better business model however in doing so you will be pushing your views on others which to some degree is your complaint.

The school, because it's public, has a right to be as messed up as it wants to be. Private institution. As long as they adhere to the laws of the United States, it's good to go.

Hey, I never agreed with what UD did but I'm glad that FIRE won the legal battle. I didn't approve of UD's actions and I'm 100% glad that they changed their minds. Colleges and Universities are places of free thought and free speech, not political re-education camps where the thought police crack down on students. Also they should not be liberal factories, pumping out anti-American Americans. Sadly that is still the case to some degree... Republican ideals are not widely supported but they still survive there. But what UD did was far worse. Well... at least a small change was made.

Free Thought is still free in the USA.

Back