Finnish wartime photo Archive (1939-45)

OK, got it open. Ta.

There was a bit on TV last week about the Finnish Soviet War, Britain considered helping the Finns against the Soviets. Now that would have been interesting to say the least when the Finns allied with Germany.

Its amazing the fight the Finns put up against the Soviets, Stalin thought he was going to dictate peace terms in Helsinki, he thought wrong.

Last edited:
OK, got it open. Ta.

There was a bit on TV last week about the Finnish Soviet War, Britain considered helping the Finns against the Soviets. Now that would have been interesting to say the least when the Finns allied with Germany.

Its amazing the fight the Finns put up against the Soviets, Starling thought he was going to dictate peace terms in Helsinki, he thought wrong.

Indeed, my understanding is that the British and French troops that landed in Norway in 1940 were originally the ones earmarked for Finland.

Indeed I think it would be rated as one of the greatest military efforts of all time.

Its a pity the British didn't actually ally with the Finns against the Soviets. Churchill never actually trusted Stalin and their territory intentions as the war drew to a close.

Many view WW2 as Britain and its commonwealth, USA and USSR V Germany, personally I have always viewed it as Britain and its commonwealth, USA V Germany V USSR. Lets not forget Stalin sent a telegram to Hitler congratulating him on his invasion of the West and kicking Britain off of Continental Europe and lets not forget Stalin kept allied troops and other personnel in prison as a bargaining tool with the USA. How many Allied troops died at Stalin's hands?

Would you call that the actions of an ally? I wouldn't.

Its a pity the British didn't actually ally with the Finns against the Soviets. Churchill never actually trusted Stalin and their territory intentions as the war drew to a close.

Many view WW2 as Britain and its commonwealth, USA and USSR V Germany, personally I have always viewed it as Britain and its commonwealth, USA V Germany V USSR. Lets not forget Stalin sent a telegram to Hitler congratulating him on his invasion of the West and kicking Britain off of Continental Europe and lets not forget Stalin kept allied troops and other personnel in prison as a bargaining tool with the USA. How many Allied troops died at Stalin's hands?

Would you call that the actions of an ally? I wouldn't.

The problem in allying with Finland is that would have led to some weird scenarios such as:
1) Russia joining the Axis which would have been interesting given Hitlers Mein Kampf showed that German intentions were always going to be in the east.
However that may have been put aside in order to finish off the west and a German army fuelled by Russian resources would have been a much harder nut to crack.

2) Germany allying itself with Britain (under Chamberlain) and France against Russia.

`
I've looked through about 20 pages of images and the only thing that really came to mind was, "Don't their cameras work in summer"? What a miserable cold bugger of a place.

The problem in allying with Finland is that would have led to some weird scenarios such as:
1) Russia joining the Axis which would have been interesting given Hitlers Mein Kampf showed that German intentions were always going to be in the east.
However that may have been put aside in order to finish off the west and a German army fuelled by Russian resources would have been a much harder nut to crack.

2) Germany allying itself with Britain (under Chamberlain) and France against Russia.

I agree there would have been very strange situation's, however, has history shows it was Hitler's intention all along to break the German Soviet pact and as far as I am aware Stalin never trusted Hitler. Unconquered Britain would always be a thorn in Hitler's side, and I don't see Hitler invading Britain even with Russian resources.

The world would be very different today if Britain and France had sided with Hitler against the Soviets, Hitler regarded Chamberlain as a joke, however he was very wary about Churchill and dreaded Churchill gaining a seat of power.

`
I've looked through about 20 pages of images and the only thing that really came to mind was, "Don't their cameras work in summer"? What a miserable cold bugger of a place.

That was their summer.

I agree there would have been very strange situation's, however, has history shows it was Hitler's intention all along to break the German Soviet pact and as far as I am aware Stalin never trusted Hitler. Unconquered Britain would always be a thorn in Hitler's side, and I don't see Hitler invading Britain even with Russian resources.

The world would be very different today if Britain and France had sided with Hitler against the Soviets, Hitler regarded Chamberlain as a joke, however he was very wary about Churchill and dreaded Churchill gaining a seat of power.

That was their summer.

But without the failure of the Munich Agreement there would have been no Churchill.

But without the failure of the Munich Agreement there would have been no Churchill.

I don't think it was the Munich agreement but the complete hash up of the Norwegian campaign that led to Chamberlain's resignation and Churchill taking over.

Back