Finnish SF

NCO-for-life

Special Jägers and Para Jägers. Note that Special Jägers are professionals and Para Jägers are conscripts voulenteer for the SF training. They naturally have to pass rigorous tests to enter the training. This is a official recruit video of the Finnish Defense Forces.

Special Forces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrg6YRwJAY

EDIT: Trying to get the direct play embedding thingy to work...

Last edited:
No idea. You should ask that from the Army HQ... Perhaps those were "just" Para Jaegers on the video instead of Special Jaegers. IE. conscripts, whose life thus isn't so "expensive"...

Nice! Good thing we have you nearby. Are all your Jäger/ Para- Jäger special forces or is there, like in germany, a regular Jäger and Fallschirmjäger unit?
edit: works now- good thing we are allies ;)

Last edited:
Well, Jäger is the lowest rank of infantry soldiers. So basically every Finnish infantryman is a Jäger. then again there is three basic Brigade types in Finland: Infantry Brigade 85, which has the oldest equipment and operates as a local unit of some desicnated area, Jäger Brigade 91 which has more modern equipment and can do both local and operative roles, more local still. And then the Uber cool Jäger Brigade 05 which has state of the art gear and works as an operative brigade. But all privates in these three brigade types are called Jägers.
Then there are Marines alias Costal Jägers and Kaarti Jägers alias City/Urban Jägers, Border Jägers, Armour Jägers(mechanised forces), Special Border Jägers, Para Jägers, and Special Jägers(Special Jägers are professional soldiers, others are conscripts...)
Did that clarify the situation at all? If not, look wikipedia.

Ah ok i got it wrong there, in the German military there are only some special units called Jäger and they are all Infantry only: Gebirgsjäger (Mountain Infantry), Jäger (Light Infantry) and Fallschirmjäger (Paratrooper). All of them have a very high reputation (of themselves anyway ;) ), though some of the Fallschirmjäger Battailons are part of the special forces- all these units are amongst the regular Battailons. They claim to be the real and only German Infantry, don't tell them I'm Infantry just because I'm with a Ground Combat Regiment ;), because I'm still Air Force and even if my Training is comparable to the training of the Jäger/Light Infantry we may not claim the honor of calling ourselves Infantry. (we do it anyway ;) )
So much for the lesson in German infantry ... ^^
Interesting you call your Soldiers Jäger... in Germany this is only the case with the recruits of the named Units, after Basic everywone is called Gefreiter (2nd Pvt.).
I was called "Flieger" during basic (Flyer), though i didn't ever work with aircrafts, other than protecting them ;), only "good/funny thing" is that everyone thinks you are a pilot because of the rank-name ;)

Last edited:
Well, during WWII Jägers were elite infantry. Regular infantryman of the lowest rank was called warman(sotamies). Our first Jägers were actually trained in Germany during WWI, the 27th Prussian Jäger Regiment. Nowdays every infantryman gets the Jäger training, so they are called Jägers. I would like to say, that Finnish Jägers are all elite soldiers and perhaps they are, but we are conscripts after all...
BTW, what is German average shooting score with ten shots at 150 meters, fixed targets? Our instructors always said that the greatest difference between Finnish conscripts and foreign soldiers is that we are better shooters... Dunno if that is true, but thats what they said. Our Company average was 92 points out of 100 points.

Last edited:
I guess that differs from unit to unit, in my Platoon the average was 86, but with 5 doublet shots out of cover and 1 magazine change (as to say under a little more stress and stuff). I think we could have kept up with you guys ;). Though we shot more the MG3 than the G36.

We all had to pass this test called ATT(AmpumaTaito Testi), Shooting Skill Test. It includes two shots at target which is visible for 2x5 seconds(one shot within 5sec), clip change, two shots at 3sec targets, clip change, duple shot at 5sec target. Then three shots at fixed target from kneeling position. All above from 150 meters. After that moving to 50 meter distance and shooting from standing position. Three shots at 5sec targets.
Max score is 12. 12-11 is Exelent score, 10-9 Good, 8-7 OK, lower than that and you don't pass the test. Most guys get Exelent, some Good and nobody OK or worse.

Yes, we have simliar shoting exercices- actually i'm going to be in charge of one this year- i'll think of something nice ;)

Back