Finland... Good, Bad, or Cursed?

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Finland's role in WWII is often overlooked and misunderstood. A Liberal Democracy tucked up in the Nordic countries. With Russia to her East and Germany to her South and West. She had a small population and a under strength armed forces.

Germany sold her and the Baltic states to the USSR with the famous Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In 1939 the USSR waged war against her after conquering Estonia (which had a very close relationship to Finland) and the other Baltic States along with half of Poland. The Finns fought a hard and brutal war for survival against the Soviet beast and held out.

Finland was hoping that Sweden, Norway, and Denmark would join in the fight and help push back the Soviets. But only Sweden supported Finland (along with Estonia in the form of troops that fled Soviet rule) with men and material.

Then Germany does a 180 and asks Finland's help for the invasion of the USSR. Finland at this point with a dicey choice. Sit out the war and have the Soviets hit them anyways or throw their lot in with the Germans and take back what was taken away from them in the Winter War. They do the logic choice with a interesting twist.

Finland at this point was surrounded by despotic regimes. The USSR to the East and Germany to her South and West. Germany was ruling Norway and Denmark at this point in time. Finland simply wanted to stay as a free nation.

So she joins in the fight and marches eastward.... to a point and then says no more. Finland operated a Jewish Synagogue in the eastern front.... remember at this point in time they were working with the Germans. They also had Jewish soldiers serve alongside German troops and even had Jewish doctors treat wounded Germans. Germany awarded Iron Crosses to Jewish Finn Soldiers... though the Jewish Finns turned down the awards.

The tide of the eastern front changes and the USSR pushes west. Finland sues for peace with the USSR. Part of that peace is that they have to disband their armed forces and kick out the Germans from Finnish lands ASAP. They do.... and the Finnish Army fights the Germans pushing them to the Norwegian Border.

Finland is treated as a member of the Axis and the Soviets screw Finland over until 1991 when the USSR falls.

So was Finland good, bad, or simply screwed over by being in a bad spot on the map?

I respect the Finns for what they went through. They simply wanted to be alone at first and Germany throws her to the Soviets under the table. The Soviets invade and she fights back and looses but by hold the high ground. She is then put in another crappy spot and knows that if she says know to the Germans it will not be good. So she tries to keep her distance by saying she's not an ally but simply they have the same crappy neighbor. Looses that fight and then has to fight the Germans at the same time while disbanding their armed forces and bending over for the Soviet foot that will be shoved up their rear end.

She tried with all of her might to stay out of crap and walk away but she couldn't. So she did the best thing possible.

During negotations in 1939 the Soviet Union demanded Finland to cede land in Karelia as the Finnish-Soviet border was too close to Leningrad. The Finns rejected and offered to cede land elsewhere, but Finland was attacked by the Soviets after alleged border provications in the border city of Mainila. The Finns resisted until the 13th of March 1940 when a peace agreement was signed. The Finns was forced to cede 10% of the territory and 20% of the industrial capacity to the Soviets. 10% of the population had to evacuade.

The resume war, from june 1941 until fall 1944.The Soviet union attacked Finland on the 25th of June 1941 and lasted until the cease fire agreement began on the 4th and 5th of September 1944. Finland received military support from Germany in this period and was of great importance to defend Finland against the Soviet attacks.

The cease fire in 1944 imposed Finland to dispel the German forces from Finland, if that failed - the Soviets would do so themselves, which ment Soviet occupation of Finland. The German troops retreated through Lappland to Finnmark in Norway - and later was evacuated to the South of Norway or Europe.

The Finnish engagement in 1941-1944 was part of the plan to take back the areas given to the Soviets earlier, and to create a Great-Finland that included the East of Karelia which had strong historical bonds to Finland.

Finland avoided Soviet occupation, but had to remain neutral during the cold war.

The Winter war in the Nordic countries led to great support to Finland. Sweden, Norway and Denmark sent weapons, munitions and other supplies to the finnish soldiers. Several scandinavians were volunteer soldiers and fought side by side with the finnish soliders against the Soviets.

Some other nuances and historical facts that must be kept in mind.

Last edited:
One point to remember is that of all the axis aligned countries Finland was the only one not to be occupied and the only one Stalin did a deal with so rather than good, bad or unlucky I would suggest they were abandoned, resilient and lucky.

Last edited:
They were quite lucky compared to other countries the Soviets dealt with. They dealt ruthlessly with the Baltic states after re-conquering them (the Baltic states declared independence during Barbarossa which complicated Soviet defenses), and the Balkan countries also.
The Winter War is a famous example of Soviet blunder and incompetence during WWII (though they were quite successful after Moscow). The Finns were grossly underequipped and outnumbered (the Soviets had the largest army in the world at that time), yet they won against amazing odds, surrenduring only 1/10 of their land to the Soviets when they faced a possible extinction within a few days like how Nazi Germany did to Belgium or the Neatherlands.
The Finns also had a just reason why they went with the Germans in Barbarossa.
They made a significant part of Army Group North during Barbarossa, though they did fail to capture Murmansk.
At the end of the war, the Soviets penetrated their first and second lines of defense (The V and the VT line) and were only stopped at the final line of defense, the VKT line

My grandfather fought in the civil war, in the winter war and in the continuation war on first the "white" then the finnish side.

He told me he didn´t believe in "luck" anymore since in the trenches at the VTK line under bombardment from 15 Russian Arty regiments, "no one was lucky".

I dunno, I wasn´t there.
What I do know is that in Finland no veteran fom the second world war pays for parking.
They have payed their share, and in doing so made sure the finnish people had somewhere TO park their vehicles..

I submit that some of the most astonishing moments during times of unrest came to be during the winter and continuation war.
Furthermore I find the tactics and employment of said tactics to be innovative and interesting.
Although very area specific I reckon the finnish Jägar batts wrote the book on small unit winter warfare a long time before there were schools to teach it.

Either way.
They stopped cold the largest army in the world, practically on their own only to have the Brits declare war on them for kicking their allies arse.
Interesting times in history to say the least.

KJ sends..

Finland was hoping that Sweden, Norway, and Denmark would join in the fight and help push back the Soviets. But only Sweden supported Finland (along with Estonia in the form of troops that fled Soviet rule) with men and material.

As I posted earlier, the winter war initially raised great support for Finland in Scandinavia. In 1941, several norwegians joined Waffen SS to assist Finland in the war against the Soviets. (1942 and onwards, recruitments to Waffen SS were to fight bolshevism.). This is a blurry part of the history on the Northern Front so I will not go into detail as that would hi-jack this thread...

Regarding Sweden, Finland used Swedish diplomats while negotating with the Soviets - a good move as the Swedes were neutral and would work as a diplomacy buffer between the combatants.

Last edited:
As I posted earlier, the winter war initially raised great support for Finland in Scandinavia. In 1941, several norwegians joined Waffen SS to assist Finland in the war against the Soviets. (1942 and onwards, recruitments to Waffen SS were to fight bolshevism.). This is a blurry part of the history on the Northern Front so I will not go into detail as that would hi-jack this thread...

Regarding Sweden, Finland used Swedish diplomats while negotating with the Soviets - a good move as the Swedes were neutral and would work as a diplomacy buffer between the combatants.

Well.... the norwegians and everyone else had some citizens join the Waffen SS and the Heer. Belgians, Danes, Spanish, French, Estonian, Russian, etc... all had units within the Waffen SS and the Heer. There was even a Indian and British unit.

Well.... the norwegians and everyone else had some citizens join the Waffen SS and the Heer. Belgians, Danes, Spanish, French, Estonian, Russian, etc... all had units within the Waffen SS and the Heer. There was even a Indian and British unit.

Yes I am fully aware of that, even muslim SS units on the Balkans.
My point for 1941 is that the recruitment was done for helping Finland on the battle field, from 1942 and later recruitment for fighting bolsevism, several foreign SS soldiers fought in Stalingrad and in Berlin in May 1945. You see the difference.

While messing around on the net I found this however I wont vouch for its accuracy...

Country/Ethnicity - Estimated # of volunteers- Name of Waffen-SS Units
Albanian 3,000 -21st SS Division

Belgian: Flemish 23,000 -5th SS Div., 27th SS Div.

Belgium: Walloon 15,000 -5th SS Div., 28th SS Div.

British Commonwealth (English) 50 -The British Freikorps

Bulgaria 1,000 in the Bulgarisches Reg.

Croatia (includes Bosnian Muslims) 30,000 7th SS Div., 13th SS Hanshar Div.23rd SS Div.

Denmark 10,000 in Freikorps Danemark, 11th SS Div.

India3,500 in the Volunteer Legion

Estonia 20,000 in the 20th SS Div.

Finland 1,000 in a Volunteer Battalion.

Hungarians 15,000 in the 25th SS Div., 26th SS Div. 33rd SS Div.

Latvia 39,000 in the 15th SS Div., 19th SS Div.

Netherlands 50,000 in the 23rd SS Div., 34th SS Div.

Norway 6,000 in the 5th SS Div., 6th SS Div.11th SS Div., .

France 8,000 33rd SS Div.

Italy 20,000

Poland/Ukraine 25,000 14th SS Div.

Russian (Belorussia) 12,000 29th SS Div., 30th SS Div.

Russian (Cossack) 40,000 XV SS Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps

Russian (Turkic) 8,000 Ostürkische SS, Tatarishe SS

Rumania 3,000 Waffen-Grenadierregiment der SS (rumänisches 1)

Serbia 15,000 Volunteer Corps

Spain 1,000 Spanische-Freiwilligen-Kompanie der SS 101

Sweden, Switzerland & Luxemburg 3,000 5th SS Div., 11th SS Div.

Read more at Suite101: Hitler’s Foreign Legion: Waffen SS: Non German Units in the Waffen SS During World War Two | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/hitler-s-foreign-legion--waffen-ss-a7985#ixzz1U2fjuYG3

While messing around on the net I found this however I wont vouch for its accuracy...

Denmark 10,000 in Freikorps Danemark, 11th SS Div.

Frikorps Danmark was a battalion size unit of 1.200 men. The Corps formed an independent battalion in SS Division Totenkopf until 1943 when it was dissolved.

Frikorps Danmark was a battalion size unit of 1.200 men. The Corps formed an independent battalion in SS Division Totenkopf until 1943 when it was dissolved.

I am not sure I concur, everything I read is a bit sketchy but there appears to be references that say anything from 1000 to 12000 volunteers.

Also to be fair the unit wasn't dissolved in 1943 it was integrated into 11th SS Freiwilligen Panzer Grenadier Division Nordland and must have been of at least regimental strength as according to the war diaries of the division one Battalion of the Danmark regiment was withdrawn to Germany to refit in late May 1944.

It was created 19th July 1941 as an independent battalion with five companies. It dissolves 20th May 1943. The volunteers were urged to join the Regiment 24 Denmark but many did not want to continue and believed it was a breach of contract.

The war diary is intact here in Denmark just as the strength lists. There were 896 total in the 5 companies.

It was created 19th July 1941 as an independent battalion with five companies. It dissolves 20th May 1943. The volunteers were urged to join the Regiment 24 Denmark but many did not want to continue and believed it was a breach of contract.

The war diary is intact here in Denmark just as the strength lists. There were 896 total in the 5 companies.

Yet Regiment 24 went on to form part of the 11th SS Division so there must have been a significant number of volunteers...

http://www.waffen-ss.no/Nordland-english.htm

http://slesvigske.dk/danmark.htm

It would be my guess and it is just a guess that the number of 10000 is the total number of volunteers and replacements recruited throughout the war to maintain the units strength at 1000-1200.

Last edited:
'It was common that for battalion and regiment sizes to be significantly below what was standard at the war's outbreak. Some units were defined as a company on paper and in the war diaries - but was in reality no more than 50 to 60 men from 1943 and onwards. Not only in the Werhmacht...

SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 24 "Denmark" was officially established on 6 May 1943 and many of the Danish volunteers from the Frikorps Denmark, SS Inf. Reg "Nordland" and otherWaffen SS units were transferred to the new SS Regiment Denmark. But expectations for recruitment in Denmark did not go as expected so the regiment was filled up with Germans and Romanians of German descent. The Regiment was not fully staffed until the 20th May 1943.

At the end of 1943 the regiment consisted of 1,200 Danes, 1,120 ethnic Germans from Romania and 800 Germans. So there never was a purely Danish regiment. At the end of 1944 approx. 12,180 Danes had volunteered for the Waffen SS. How many who tried to enroll in the course of the wars last months is not known but it can hardly be many. According to the German archives from 1940 to the end of 1944 exactly 5,637 Danes was accepted for service in the Waffen SS.

I am not arguing with the 1200 Danes on operational status what I am saying is that to maintain that number through out the war possibly required the 10,000 men that was mentioned in my original post and as you have pointed out that 12,180 volunteered I suspect that is where the number of 10,000 came from.

I am not disagreeing with you I am just trying to ascertain the accuracy of the original data I posted.

Back to topic?

Finland have a short and violent story as a free republic, and the country itself wasn't 100% unified at the outspring of the Winter-War either.
What the Soviet bombing did was to consolidate the people of Finland, and make them stand up against the agressors as one nation claiming it's right to independance.

Finland had any right to hope for support from their neighbouring countries, but as Denmark, Sweden, and Norway (all hampered by governments strung up with peace-at-all-cost slogans) claimed neutrality, there was little official help to gain from them.

The Swedes did their share, but had to keep a low profile.
Norway had neither the guts, nor the means to do anything.
Volunteers for the support of Finlands cause had to work in the darkness, as the government was hardcore pasifists, and on a strict, and clearly naive, neutral lane.
Military personel on contract had to apply for a leave of absence, but couldn't name Finland as a cause for it.
The volunteers had to gather at stations in small groups before leaving, but it should be noticed that government officials turned a blind eye towards it.
As we couldn't openly do much in means of military support, the solution was to send backpacks filled with non-military equipment that none the less was of strategic importance for the soldiers in Finland who recieved them.
There was a demand for warm clothing and winter camoflage, so the "cottage-industry" responded by sending large quantities of what was often labeled "white-pajamas" to Finland.

While the Winter-War was a fight Finland had to take on their own, the Continuation-War was indeed with German support, and thus it has not reached the same status of a "Sacred-War" as the Winter-War in Finland.

Allthough Finland did fight on the Axis side of the conflict, it should be noticed that Finland was quite strict on the matter, they fought for Finland, and not for the sake of Hitlers dream about a Third Reich stretching out all over the world.
Even the volunteers from Finland who fought in German Waffen-SS units were bound by a contract stating that they would only fight against the Soviet Union, and only as long as Finland was actively in a state of war with the Soviet Union.
Also, there was little sympathy for German causes in Finland.

What may be interesting here is that Scandinavia was a British area of influence when it came to the post-war situation, and the rather harsh conditions brought upon Finland after the war was of British origin.
That is the limitations of armed forces, the war-reparations paid to the Soviet Union afterwards was a Soviet invention.

1939-40 8000 Swedes were committed at Märkajärvi on the Salla front section along with some 700 Norwegians.

At Hangöudd 1941 Swedish Kusjägarkompaniet belonging to the Swedish voluntary battalion got it´s baptism in fire.
After a blockade and constant harassing patrols the Soviets withdrew their forces from one of (at the time ) most heavily armed outposts on finnish soil.

During the winter and continuation war 117 Swedish soldiers were KIA along with 2 Norwegians and 1 Dane serving in the Swedish volunteer units during this time.

I have not found an accurate number of WIA but some sources claim that number times three.

I know that these figures does not include pilots wich all three of the scandinavian nations provided also on a volunteer basis.

Some interesting information on the armament of Hangöudd for my fellow scandinavians that read swedish.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangöfronten

KJ sends..

Last edited:
Back