Finding Cadences

GOBER

About to go up to MEPS been doing a lot of PT absolutely love the cadence part of it.... any one know were I can find some more old school/vulgar cadences at besides the typical ones that are on every site?:cen:

About to go up to MEPS been doing a lot of PT absolutely love the cadence part of it.... any one know were I can find some more old school/vulgar cadences at besides the typical ones that are on every site?:cen:

Cadances have a purpose, and it´s not to be as vulgar as possible.
They just tend to be that way since it is soldiers that have made them up.

You will learn all kinds of different cadances once in.
For now, just work on your PT and the rest will follow in due time.

//KJ.

You can learn vulgar cadence counts, songs, or rymes AFTER you join up.
Nobody likes a foul mouthed kid.
I recall some good ones that were not vulgar.

Agreed with the above completely.

Google or go to any military surplus store and you can buy/download cadences to listen to while you run. There's only about a million to choose from.

Yeah, cadences can be pretty vulgar - but that's old school, brother... old school.

I started Infantry Basic in January, 1989, and we had several cadences that'd make sailors blush with shame and cats hiding everywhere. By April, when we were finishing up Phase III and Phase IV EOTC testing, there were already "new" rules in place, which weren't new, just newly enforced, that cadences that could be construed as "offensive" due to any discrimination--gender, skin color, REMF-bashing, etc--were verboten.

If anyone remembers the "Donald Duck" victory jingle, our Senior Drill has us recite that during Family Day - and was removed from his position, given an Article 15, and immediately reassigned for something that resembled conduct unbecoming a senior non-commissioned officer. Raucous though it was, it was clear that the Army, even the Army INFANTRY, was getting on board with the new, softer rules of respect and discipline when it came to things like vulgarity. They made him an example, I think. No way to know for sure, of course, but it was a real de-motivator to all of us that learned our art from that man.

My friend, one thing you MUST avoid in military training is repetition of anything that they don't like, anything that can haunt you. An example from my personal laundry list of, OOPS!

Before I went into Basic, I wanted, like you, to be fully squared away, fully prepared. I washed the inside cap of my toothpaste. I ran three times a day with a backpack with 50-pounds of weight in it. I sang cadences. I made my bed with hospital corners...

And I watched "Full Metal Jacket" over and over and over again...

So I am a Boot, a lowly E-1, just about as scared to death as I've ever been, but confident to the point of almost arrogant cockiness. I knew that I knew my phonetic alphabet, 24-hour time, the correct positions and command prompts for attention, parade rest, at ease and etc, that my hair was already military standard for Army Infantry Basic Training, and that I had to refer to all my Drill Sergeants as...

"Sir, yes SIR!"

Um, yeah.

That one little assumed habit, from a movie of all things, had me doing so many push ups that China now has a mountain range named after me 180 degrees equator-opposite of Ft. Benning, Georgia. I will wager everything I own that I hold the world record for push ups conducted in one week.

In case you're missing this, Army Drill Sergeants are referred to, ALWAYS, as Drill Sergeant. "Yes, Drill Ser-GEANT!" "No, Drill Ser-GEANT!" Not "sir," and no repeating the title after the answer to the given question.

That, "Sir, yes SIR!" habit had me dropped and knocking them out more times than I could ever possibly remember that first week. For SIX MONTHS in my mind I had answered everything--the TV, the radio, my mom, everything--with "Sir, yes SIR!" It was so ingrained in my brain as the habit that I had to have that it took me a week to break it - much to the chagrin of my Drill Sergeants, who, by the way, did NOT appreciate being referred to as "Drill INSTRUCTOR," either. That was the next habit they were intent on breaking in me, and guess what? They did! At the expense of my arms...

My friend, I am 39 years old and have been out of the Active Duty military since 1993 and I can STILL do over 80 military style push ups - I don't practice anymore. I did that many disciplinary push ups for that itty, bitty habit.

My point is simple:

If we are intent on training a certain way, we will naturally be in the habit of practicing... that way.

Say you run in boots because you, incorrectly, assume that the Infantry does its PT in boots (we don't anymore). When you begin Basic, you're going to be falling out of runs because you're now in tennis shoes that your body isn't adjusted to - it is used to the running cadence of boots, the muscle signatures and tendon and ligament restructuring that is required when you're in boots.

Just like one cannot be so UNprepared for Basic, so too can one be OVER prepared. Memorizing, whether you mean to or not, vulgar cadences could get you into some serious trouble, up to and including a possible dismissal from basic for failing to meet the professional standards of decorum.

Running with cadences is great, and I applaud your tenacity to be prepared! But do it just as you'll do it in basic, making muscle memory that will help you: get REAL military cadences, which these days are neither profane nor vulgar.

My humble .02, sir.

Hi, everyone I am a proud Army Mom and a Sunday School teacher for pre-teens, they have voted to do a Chritmas Cadence of Jesus birth rather than a play or song. Can anyone help me out with this?

Hi Spc49. Not really sure exactly what you're looking for, but I did find the following about such a project and believe you could substitute a Christmas message in. Hope it helps.

Spiritual Cadence

Description
This object lesson is a fun way to reinforce some truths about Jesus, the Bible and the Gospel message. It’s a cadence much like the ones military groups might use during exercise. You can use it when outdoors with the kids or in a classroom setting.

Materials
None are necessary, but you might want to post the rhymes so that the kids can remember them more easily. In that case, you might need a flipchart and markers or PowerPoints and an LCD projector. Since you will be calling these out, it’s helpful to have the cadences written on note cards for your own use.

Full article:

http://teachingthem.com/2008/10/15/spiritual-cadence/

Back