Finally

LIBERTY

Holy crap I've finally turned 17 and enlisted in the Army! Going tonight to complete the remaining paperwork. Leaving Moday for MEPs and then off to basic I go in October. And hopefully to Airborne afterwords. I'm really really really excited, anxious, and scared sh*tless. If you have any advice or anything PLEASE list them. :-D:-D:salute::cheers:

Last edited:
Good to be scared.... Stay in shape. Get into the best shape you can possible get into.. you will need every ounce of it. Oh yeah... and keep your sense of humor.

And don't take things personally. Trust me, this is a good trait to have, along with a sense of humor.

Slight change of plans: My recruiter just called and said that I leave Monday afternoon to do the ASVABS, then on Tuesday take the physical and then the oath.

Okay nevermind. He just called me back again and told me to be ready tomorrow. His 1st Sergeant called and said that I go ahead to Jacksonville. I wish they would make their mind up, but hey its the Army.

Okay my MOS is 11B and shipping to basic in Fort Benning on the 31st of this month. Sorry for not keeping everyone posted on whats happened I just kindof forgot about this thread. :-?

You are going to love Fort Benning my friend... The word "Benning" is enough to make your average pogue cringe. I have just returned from my 11b training. You constantly hear about the "new army" but they are still old school there. Get ready to be treated like a piece of garbage and belittled to the point of not existing. The Drill Sgt's will break every rule they can get away with to make you tough. At first you will be asking yourself why in the hell you chose to go there but your answer will come at the end. By the time you leave there you will be asking your Drill Sgt if he calls that a smoking. Complete the training and you will be one of the finest Infantrymen in the world. I will answer whatever questions you have. I was in B 2/58 by the way.

Last edited:
I cant really answer that because I havent been to Iraq yet. 11b is one of the few MOS's that does'nt really take effect until you enter a combat zone. Be prepared to sit in a fighting position for days, even weeks at a time. Pay close attention to your training, it is directly tied to your survival in combat. Dtop would be the best person to ask about that, hes been in combat. Respect the CIB.....

Last edited:
I cant really answer that because I havent been to Iraq yet. 11b is one of the few MOS's that does'nt really take effect until you enter a combat zone. Be prepared to sit in a fighting position for days, even weeks at a time. Pay close attention to your training, it is directly tied to your survival in combat. Dtop would be the best person to ask about that, hes been in combat. Respect the CIB.....

Well hows the training then?

It depends on what route you chose to go. If you go NG you will have monthly drills, if you go regular army you will be training on a weekly basis. Everything depends on your higher ups and what kind of unit you are in. Plan on doing allot of battle drills and MOUT training.

I've been doing some research on the personal contractors in Iraq. And actually I'm rather interested. But is it possible to join Blackwater or any other security firm while youre in the Active Army?

Last edited:
But is it possible to join Blackwater or any other security firm while youre in the Active Army?

That's a negatory. I know of people that were deployed and worked with Blackwater contractors, and all the time they were trying to recruit our guys for after they ETS'd out. Let's just say none of them took BW's offer.

Last edited:
Alright. I've just started actually doing reseach on them last night. My girlfriend's uncles a former Green Beret and a personal contractor in Iraq. But is there something that I need to know about them or something?

It depends on how motivated you are to go back into combat zones, but for more money (kind of). Their training course costs a pretty penny, and you either have to pay up front, or reimburse them with pay stub deductions, which makes the job not as profitable as advertised (in the short run). Stick with them, you'll get paid more, if you're still alive.

Okay well tomorrow I'm heading to basic in Ft. Benning. I'm going to miss the forum but I'll be back on around Christmas considering theyre giving us some time off. So please wish me luck and I'll be seeing yall later on.

HEY EVERYONE! How is everyone been? I've just graduated ITB yesterday, and finally got the hell off Sand Hill. Now I'm sitting in Kansas City waiting for my next flight to get to Ft. Riley. So I'll be riding around in the back of a Bradley in 1st ID. One of the reclasses that was with me during my AIT is going to 1st Armored and being sent to Iraq in 22 days. So just pray for him for me. Anyway guys I need to let you go. I'll be back on later.

Back