Filmmaker of new film about D-Day recreated as a paintball game! - Page 2

--

August 16th, 2012  
Der Alte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldiers of Paint
I won't debate you guys on what the closest experience to war is and whether paintball is valid in that respect, but what is unmistakable and inarguable is the new found appreciation and respect people have for what veterans of war have gone through after playing this game.
This is precisely where the problem lies. You only create an illusion, nothing more. There is none of you, after playing this game that can understand what I went through during WWII. 42RM is also a combat veteran, a another war admittedly, but anyway a veteran.
He can not relate to what I went through just like I can not relate to what he has gone through. Why?
Because we were not there!!! He has not participated in my war and I have not participated in his.

You create an illusion that deceives people. I bet that there are many who afterwards says: "Now I understand what veterans have gone through". The hell you do not!

How do you recreate the noise of battle, the smell of cordite, the smell of blood, guts and decompensated or burned human flesh? How do you recreate an artillery strike that hits your buddy and blows him into pieces so small that there is nothing left? How do you recreate the uncontrollable fear? How many of the participants have s*** and pissed themselves when "the paint starts to fly"? How many of you feel sorrow and despair at the end of the day?

And what about the USAAF veteran who spent the entire war as a aircraft mechanic on a base in England? He was never in danger and never fired his weapon against the enemy. He also deserves respect or what? Do you have a day where you repair aircraft engines to honor him?

I know a portion of WWII veterans both German, British and American and know that they do not expect respect or recognition because they were fighting. If you want to show respect to a WWII veteran,(or any veteran) and I am not talking about myself (I was on the wrong side of the fence) but for an Allied soldier, then a simple thank you is sufficient. Press his or her hand and just say thank you for giving me the freedom to live my life the way I want. That is a acknowledgment that they value and not because you run around with a paint gun in honor of their sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldiers of Paint
This is especially true of kids, several of whom we interview in the film and tell us as such. While you may call it a "circus show" what is also true and inarguable is that up to 15,000 actual people each year—veterans included—participate in this game to honor veterans. They tell us and demonstrate as such in the film as well. I would just encourage you all to give this film and the game more consideration.

Thanks!
Doug
Maybe you should take a look at your history education in American schools. Young people know very little about their ancestors' era.

That 15.000 participate does not make it more true. It only shows that you are successful in marketing the the concept. My personal opinion is still that it is ridiculing. But people can decide for themselves, it is a free world we live in.
August 16th, 2012  
MontyB

I am not going to join this little battle but I would like to point out one aspect that I think is being over looked here, while I agree that as an event it probably has no historical value nor any way of creating an understanding of the conditions at the time but what it "may" do is arouse an interest in some of those much maligned 15,000 to learn about the event they are reenacting.

We have in the past mentioned the movies "Inglorious Bastards" and "U-571" both movies contain few if any redeeming features but if they give people the impetus to get off the collective arses and learn something then they have achieved something positive.

It is not necessarily about how we reenact the past but how we keep these events and the sacrifices of those that took part alive into a future where the participants are getting fewer and fewer.
August 17th, 2012  
Der Alte

I agree with you Monty, except for one thing. How we reenact the past I feel is also important. I am sure that most Americans will find that it would be sacrilege if we reenacted the attack on Pearl Harbor as a paintball event in honor of those who fought there. We can build a raft, imagine it is the USS Arizona and then attack it with paintballs.

WWII deprived me of many things, especially family, fiancee and friends. Therefore it is sacred to me how we pass on history to future generations.
--
August 17th, 2012  
MontyB

No arguments from me although I am somewhat intrigued by the logistics of a 500lb armour piercing paintball.
June 7th, 2013  
Soldiers of Paint

Last year I posted this thread about the documentary I have been making about Oklahoma D-Day, which is a game where 5000 people re-stage D-Day with paintball in Oklahoma. I'm back and proud to report it is finished and is now being distributed by a major U.S. independent film distributor! Check out the official trailer here.

You can find all the options for getting the film, including DVD and digital download on our website.

See it and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
Doug Gritzmacher
Director, "Soldiers of Paint"