Fighters or UAV's

Would you have manned fighters replaced by UAVs in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trevor

We all know sooner or later, manned fighters in the military will become less and less, to be replaced by Unmanned Aerial Vehicals (UAV's). What would you like to see the future of the military like?

I think UAVs will definatly become the fighter planes of the future, as they will be able to do more things due to humans not being there with the limitions. I believe humans will still pilot them but from stations on the ground.

Course, losing the feeling/experience of actually being INSIDE that high performance piece of military hardware is a big downer. Its like the ultimate toy!

No I say, for those of you who say yes, I believe that you will be taking away the key component of man being better than machine.
Man may be flawed but we build machines, I believe that they are just as flawed if not more.
I once wanted to be a Naval Aviator but because of my sight I have decided to be a surgeon in the United States Navy and if possible flight surgeon aboard the Ronald Reagan.
But men in these machines, I myself have flown a P-51 Mustang, great fighter of its time, I can't tell you how exhiliarating it is.

But My opinion is that man is better than machine.

That's an interesting point. I'm still undecided. I think It would be good as half and half.

I think recreating the feeling of being in the plane would actually be rather easy.
Have a virtual cockpit that actually rocks from side to side etc. a bit. Also have cameras that look at all angles so that maybe even the pilot can sit inside a sphere that gives him a true all round vision. All that and without risking the life of the pilot.

Time said:
No I say, for those of you who say yes, I believe that you will be taking away the key component of man being better than machine.
Man may be flawed but we build machines, I believe that they are just as flawed if not more.
I once wanted to be a Naval Aviator but because of my sight I have decided to be a surgeon in the United States Navy and if possible flight surgeon aboard the Ronald Reagan.
But men in these machines, I myself have flown a P-51 Mustang, great fighter of its time, I can't tell you how exhiliarating it is.

But My opinion is that man is better than machine.

Like I said you cannot make something like this artificial because you may not know but the pilots will.

the_13th_redneck said:
I think recreating the feeling of being in the plane would actually be rather easy.
Have a virtual cockpit that actually rocks from side to side etc. a bit. Also have cameras that look at all angles so that maybe even the pilot can sit inside a sphere that gives him a true all round vision. All that and without risking the life of the pilot.

Yeah thats what i think will happen, like Time said machines are flawed and cant be left to there own thing so there definatly needs to be a human pilot, but be taking the pilot out of the plane and putting him on the ground your making the plane able to do more drastic manouvers and the pilots can be swapped if tiredness kicks in.

I think that trouble with UAVs are the technical limitations, just as happened with the tank some decades ago. Though both tanks, it's not the same a Renault Ft-17 than an Abrams, though the latter could've never been developed if the former had never existed. Then, If at last the UAVs become technologically viables, I'm sure they will dominate battlefield for:

1- Once massproduced they will be cheaper to make.

2- There's no risk for the pilots, allowing the Armies to preserve their experience even if the plane is shot down.

Even if the UAVs can perform maneuvers that would be insurvivable by a human pilot, someone controlling from a remote staion would not be able to get the full effect of the dogfight, and possibly not be able to be as effective against the enemy.

I'm devoted to fighters of course but in UAV's I see a potential to swarm(sp?) the enemy into submission kinda like WWII-thousands of aircraft in the sky...

I doubt swarming tactics will be used. The US wants a machine that can get the job done, and cheap. Having those things produced enough to be able to swarm, would be aweful pricey, not to mention how many mid-air collisions there would be.

Let me rephrase

I meant swarming in a way that they would overstress the air defense.
And I'm quite positive that in formation flying these machines will have a good enough collision detection to avoid accidents.
Attack runs differ of course.

I think if you properly train the operator, he's going to get used to it.

Trevor said:
Even if the UAVs can perform maneuvers that would be insurvivable by a human pilot, someone controlling from a remote staion would not be able to get the full effect of the dogfight, and possibly not be able to be as effective against the enemy.

Visibility would probably be able to be improved if using a 3D system generated from pictures from the plane, 360 visibility and being able to look at whats above and below you, would probably put you at an advantage against a human pilot

It's the difference between a flight simulator and a real aircraft tho. Even in the most realistic sim there is, you still have the feeling that you are in a simulator...and that takes some of the edge off.

It's a lot harder to fly in a simulator than a real aircraft. Flying a real aircraft is a dream compared to being in the simulator.

I think people will be able to improve situational awareness in the control room of a UAV.
Simply even with this little "flaw" the benefits of the UAV's potential are impssible to ignore.

Back