Fighters or UAV's - Page 2

View Poll Results :Would you have manned fighters replaced by UAVs in the future?
Yes 9 52.94%
No 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

--

October 4th, 2004  
Trevor

Even if the UAVs can perform maneuvers that would be insurvivable by a human pilot, someone controlling from a remote staion would not be able to get the full effect of the dogfight, and possibly not be able to be as effective against the enemy.
October 4th, 2004  
rOk

I'm devoted to fighters of course but in UAV's I see a potential to swarm(sp?) the enemy into submission kinda like WWII-thousands of aircraft in the sky...
October 4th, 2004  
Trevor

I doubt swarming tactics will be used. The US wants a machine that can get the job done, and cheap. Having those things produced enough to be able to swarm, would be aweful pricey, not to mention how many mid-air collisions there would be.
--
October 4th, 2004  
rOk

Let me rephrase

I meant swarming in a way that they would overstress the air defense.
And I'm quite positive that in formation flying these machines will have a good enough collision detection to avoid accidents.
Attack runs differ of course.
October 4th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think if you properly train the operator, he's going to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Even if the UAVs can perform maneuvers that would be insurvivable by a human pilot, someone controlling from a remote staion would not be able to get the full effect of the dogfight, and possibly not be able to be as effective against the enemy.
October 4th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Visibility would probably be able to be improved if using a 3D system generated from pictures from the plane, 360 visibility and being able to look at whats above and below you, would probably put you at an advantage against a human pilot
October 5th, 2004  
c/Commander

It's the difference between a flight simulator and a real aircraft tho. Even in the most realistic sim there is, you still have the feeling that you are in a simulator...and that takes some of the edge off.
October 5th, 2004  
Trevor

It's a lot harder to fly in a simulator than a real aircraft. Flying a real aircraft is a dream compared to being in the simulator.
October 5th, 2004  
c/Commander

My point is that the UAV will seem like that simulator to the people "flying" from the ground.
October 5th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think people will be able to improve situational awareness in the control room of a UAV.
Simply even with this little "flaw" the benefits of the UAV's potential are impssible to ignore.