FIFA World Cup anyone?

AWESOME! The Azurri and Ghana passed" Whohoo
mmarsh said:
France will undoubtable choke tommorow as they have to win by a minimum of two goals. They are having enough problems getting 1.
Yeah WTF is up with France?! They suck now!

Last edited:
I'm happy that Ghana has made it into the Round of 16, as some of you may recall I said I wanted the US to beat every European nation they came up against but then lose to some really poor African nation who would go on to win the WC because I felt that a win could really help those nations, so bravo to Ghana and a nice big Damien :cen: you to the officials of this here World Cup, there is no longer a doubt in my mind that hatred towards America runs so deep in the World Cup that we are guaranteed to never win the World Cup and will likely never advance to the semi's.

Damien435 said:
there is no longer a doubt in my mind that hatred towards America runs so deep in the World Cup that we are guaranteed to never win the World Cup and will likely never advance to the semi's.

I think Italy did poorly and didn't really deserve to win. I still support them. I think the American team's weakness plays a much bigger role than perceived anti-Americanism of the refs (or whoever may be behind them). In 2002 the US made it into the 8th finals, remember? I think there's a chance the US can make it much further than they did this time round.

Take away the penalty kick... still tied 1-1. If it would have finished 2-2 ... blame the penalty kick, but I watched the game and the U.S. just played poorly. We have a lot of hard workers but don't have any big named players that we can go to in the clutch. Look around at all the other rosters, you see the thierry henrys, steven gerrards, robbens, nedveds, even ghana has essien... the u.s. has claudio reyna... who plays for an average team in the english premier league. The U.S. works hard and is strong when they work together and show good team chemistry, but I have yet to see fluent soccer from them on the field. They had their ups and downs while showing moments of brilliance, but overall I feel they deserve to be knocked out in group play.

Look out... here comes Ghana!

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
I think Italy did poorly and didn't really deserve to win. I still support them. I think the American team's weakness plays a much bigger role than perceived anti-Americanism of the refs (or whoever may be behind them). In 2002 the US made it into the 8th finals, remember? I think there's a chance the US can make it much further than they did this time round.
Well, we would have had a much better chance to beat Ghana if we had Pope and Mastroeni on the field.I think seeing them both get red-carded for fouls that shouldnt have been called or in a worse case been a yellow card brought down the US's spirit a little. Course, the officials didnt exactly help us there...

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
AWESOME! The Azurri and Ghana passed" Whohoo
Yeah WTF is up with France?! They suck now!

They had an awesome team in 1998 and 2000, unfortunatly the French have not wanted to rebuild since then, they are living in the past.

A collegue of mine they should get rid of everybody except Thierry Henry and start focusing on these new kids they have in training. France has up and coming talent, they just dont want to use it. Fortunatly Zidane [mf), Thuram (d) and Barthez (GK) are all retiring after tommorow's game.

The two players to watch are Ribery and Coupet (Goalkeeper) who I think should have replaced Barthez as starting GK.

mmarsh said:
Alex,

The curse came very close to being broken yesterday. But you'll be please to know that although I support England, I will be supporting Sweden against Germany.
That goal Sweden scored in the last minute has to be the worst goal I've ever seen England concede, but like the other two matches while the performance wasn't the best they could do, it was enough.
We will just have to hope they turn it on for the knock-out stages.

ps, possibly one of the reasons England found it so hard was because the Swede's were use to how they play, seeing that 7 of them play in the English football league.

pps, good luck to Sweden in the match against Germany

Austrailia wins against Croatia 3-2...And Brazil beats down Japan 4-1. Damned good job Socceroos. Advancing to the round of 16 for the first time. Congratulations Aussies. And to those who said Ronaldo was fat...He scored.Twice.

One Croatian player received three yellow cards. Yes: THREE YELLOW CARDS...and then a red one. It seems the officials are all drunk these days. Must be the German beer.

And...from the bottom of my heart: Sorry Americans! The German referee, Markus Merk, ruined your game like so many before. While he is respected by FIFA, for reasons I do not understand, his behaviour really irritates me. I am only glad that he cannot "interfere" in German matches.

Fat people can still score...especially against the Japanese. And please. 90 Kg at 1.83 m. That is fat or a heavy-weight boxer or bodybuilder. Ronaldo is still fat...a skilled fat man. (He is losing weight, though). His BMI is 27...he is chubby, portly, whatever. For a soccer player, a guy who has to run 90 minutes on a field and not sit in a dugout chewing tobacco or swinging a stick every now and then, he is fat. But baseball players need that extra strength. Do soccer players? Hardly.

Last edited:
Beautifully said Ollie. Thank you for your apology, and its not your fault. Its just his...and FIFA's...That referee for the Austrailia-Croatia game was hilarious...just called the rest of the game off. Hahaha

Hey, I am not joking. Roy, the English Referee, yellow-carded Simicic three times before presenting the red. While far worse than Merk's ridiculous call against the Americans -- a revolution in soccer, both are further indications of severe FIFA incompetence. None of the other officials pointed out the mistake to Roy. They probably did not even notice the mistake. Like I said, they are all drunk. Or, they think giving stiff arm salutes in Germany is still trendy.;)

Ollie Garchy said:
Hey, I am not joking. Roy, the English Referee, yellow-carded Simicic three times before presenting the red. While far worse than Merk's ridiculous call against the Americans -- a revolution in soccer, both are further indications of severe FIFA incompetence. None of the other officials pointed out the mistake to Roy. They probably did not even notice the mistake. Like I said, they are all drunk. Or, they think giving stiff arm salutes in Germany is still trendy.;)
Im not either. I was being truthful. It was spot on. And wow...LOL...I was taught that 2 yellows=1 red...Guess things change at the national level??

Didn't Australia and Croatia tie 2-2?

And about the penalty kick that gave Ghana the win, looking back I think I have to agree with it, I mean how else does someone who is 6'8" get the advantage OVER someone who is 5'11"?

Last edited:
Oh yea, sorry...There was a "goal" there at the end that the referee said wasn't a goal and it was confusing at the end of the game...My bad.

I still disagree...There was no foul on the Ghana player. It was a case of both players going for the ball, the taller man got there first, and the short one made it look like it was a foul. Watching the replay from 20 different camera angles has only confirmed that Oguche Onyewu simply headed the ball away...

Last edited:
C/1Lt Henderson said:
Well, we would have had a much better chance to beat Ghana if we had Pope and Mastroeni on the field.I think seeing them both get red-carded for fouls that shouldnt have been called or in a worse case been a yellow card brought down the US's spirit a little. Course, the officials didnt exactly help us there...
Pope and Mastroeni got red cards in the game against Italy right? Damn, I thought a "proper" red card that kicks you off the pitch doesn't keep you from playing in the next round (unlike 2 yellow cards collected over the course of more than 1 match).

Ollie Garchy said:
Fat people can still score...especially against the Japanese. And please. 90 Kg at 1.83 m. That is fat or a heavy-weight boxer or bodybuilder. Ronaldo is still fat...a skilled fat man. (He is losing weight, though). His BMI is 27...he is chubby, portly, whatever. For a soccer player, a guy who has to run 90 minutes on a field and not sit in a dugout chewing tobacco or swinging a stick every now and then, he is fat. But baseball players need that extra strength. Do soccer players? Hardly.
Since you're so informed about fat people: How's Asamoah doing?

Back