FIFA World Cup anyone?

Ya know its interesting that we have never won against a team in the world cup that the opponents scored first...we are 0-14-1...in those circumstances.

Soccer isn't that slow if you think about it... it is constantly free flowing with the exception of a few fouls and out of bounds. Baseball takes 5 minutes between each pitch (let's not even discuss the '7th inning stretch' ...) while football has a water break in between each play. Soccer may seem slow because goals don't come every minute, but it makes it all the better when one finally goes in. A guy makes a layup in basketball and it is like great, 2 points. You get a goal in soccer and the celebration is around 3 minutes for the team because even a 1-0 lead can be huge.

But hey i know what you mean when you say it is a little too slow for you - but you just have to appreciate the build-up it takes for each goal and realize how critical that one goal could be.

Here's my view on the World Cup: If the USA does well I will celebrate it, but if they don't that's ok too.

Soccer just isn't a real sport on this side of the pond, in America there is two levels of soccer, MLS (our ONLY professional soccer league where most other nations have several overlapping leagues.) or girls Under-19 recreational leagues, that's it, not much middle ground there. Hell, when I grew up it was made obvious to me that girls played soccer, volleyball and softball where boys played football, baseketball and baseball. Now if this was the World Cup of Football and we lost then I would have to say something is wrong.

I do like one thing about the World Cup though, no commercials means I can turn on the game and read my book without any interruptions. How bout those Australians? three goals in five minutes? Japan just gave up after the first one just like the US gave up after that shot off the post that would have tied it up.

The Czech Republic's defense seems impenetrable :)! Italy did better than I expected too.

Australia vs Japan was simply the most awesome game ever!

Ghana vs USA should be a fairly balanced game.

Italy will prolly be spanked by those Budweiser chugging Czechs :(
fingolfin361 said:
yay!

germany 4-2 costa rica!!
Damn! Germany will have to brush up on that defense. I guess with Lehmann and Ballack back in the equation, it'll be a different thing.

This is the first World Cup ever to feature a team consisting of two nations: Serbia and Montenegro :D

Last edited:
Well Damien, the problem with the levels of soccer in America is that it constantly stays the same. That is why there is plenty of hype for the U.S. during World Cup and not for the MLS. The majority of our national team players do not play in the MLS, they play overseas. It seems when we finally do get good players they just go to where the competition is and then we never hear from them again because they get no publicity here. If they all played here they might bring the MLS to a higher level and boost soccer a bit.

Hey Americans,

The US lost against Poland in the first round of the last WC. Teams often lose a game and advance anyway. The loss to the Czechs was a toughie, and there are some hard games ahead, but the US team can still perform well.

Think about the "astounding" victories by major teams over the last few days:

1. Netherlands-Serbia (1:0)
2. England-Paraguay (1:0)
3. Sweden-Trinidad (0:0)
4. Portugal-Anglola (1:0)

In 2002, people put down the Americans because they had an "easy draw". Yet the Americans beat Portugal (everyone's darling) and Mexico (a so-called insider's tip). The Americans ultimately lost to Germany. Again, people ridiculed the US because Germany supposedly also had an easy draw and was considered an "easy" target.

What about some other "great" football nations?: (2002)

1. France: they were knocked out in 2002 without having scored a goal. They lost to Senegal and Denmark. Nobody refers to that today. It was the worst performance by a major team in history.

2. Italy: they lost to Croatia, tied Mexico and were finally knocked out by Korea. Italy only beat Equador 2:0 in the opener. A miserable performance.

3. Argentina: They lost to England, tied Sweden and failed to get out of the first round. Tough group, tough luck...Still, you have to win to advance.

4. Netherlands: They did not even qualify for the damn WC. You can put down the US...at least they were there.

Lesson from 2002: As you can see, never listen to the journalists or general public opinion. A team like France can basically lose every game and fail to score a goal, but the press likes them anyway. Holland did not even need to qualify...they still remained greats. A team like Germany makes it to the WC final (AGAIN), but still sucks because it lost a few "friendlies" and one game in qualification -- to England (who according to this stupid logic therefore also suck).

The Americans have a good solid team. They can still make it to the next round. One thing, though. The WC is in Europe and the Europeans are traditionally stronger for that reason.

Soccer is like small unit military operations. Many variables come into play and a "good" team can lose to a "bad" team. One mistake by one player (who might be thinking about his child's health or his wife) can turn a game. That is why soccer is so great. You never know! And, there are in fact no really great teams other than Brazil...and even they can lose, but only through arrogance.

Didn't England or the Netherlands win off of an own goal?

America won't get any respect in soccer, ever, we could win the World Cup four times in a row without allowing a single goal and winning every single game with an average goal differential of 2.76 and we would still be seen as a third tier team. Plus it doesn't help that America is supposedly in a very weak qualifying group (which of memory serves me correct includes Brazil, Argentina and Mexico, three perennial powers.) and we only won our qualifying group for the first time ever because it is so weak. Having watched the USA-Czech game (dude, the Czech's goalkeeper's name is pronounced check, we didn't stand a chance.) it seemed the US gave up when.... Reyna? hit the post with a shot that could have tied the game up and their heads only hung lower when Donovan kicked the ball half a stride in front of Johnson for what would have been a sure goal.

As to why so many Americans don't play MLS, well perhaps if we had some neighbors who we could compete against (points at the Canadians) on a regular basis we would do better but it seems they have even less love for soccer than we do.

BTW, I still think the US will get out of group play with wins against Italy and Ghana, this is a lot for a pessimist to say. One last thing, FIFA ranks the Czech's as having the second best team in the world only behind Brazil so... yeah.

I'd say this is time for Britons to show they are one of the best teams of the world.

however, Brazil and Germany are real trouble makers for any team trying to reach the finals.

Damien435 said:
Didn't England or the Netherlands win off of an own goal?

America won't get any respect in soccer, ever, we could win the World Cup four times in a row without allowing a single goal and winning every single game with an average goal differential of 2.76 and we would still be seen as a third tier team. Plus it doesn't help that America is supposedly in a very weak qualifying group (which of memory serves me correct includes Brazil, Argentina and Mexico, three perennial powers.) and we only won our qualifying group for the first time ever because it is so weak. Having watched the USA-Czech game (dude, the Czech's goalkeeper's name is pronounced check, we didn't stand a chance.) it seemed the US gave up when.... Reyna? hit the post with a shot that could have tied the game up and their heads only hung lower when Donovan kicked the ball half a stride in front of Johnson for what would have been a sure goal.

As to why so many Americans don't play MLS, well perhaps if we had some neighbors who we could compete against (points at the Canadians) on a regular basis we would do better but it seems they have even less love for soccer than we do.

BTW, I still think the US will get out of group play with wins against Italy and Ghana, this is a lot for a pessimist to say. One last thing, FIFA ranks the Czech's as having the second best team in the world only behind Brazil so... yeah.
Say wah?! The US's group (group e) is often called the group of death. Thats not a weak group, thats one of the strongest.I doubt that we will win against Italy,as they are 2nd in World Cup titles...Only to Brazil. If we do, I will love it. But then we have Ghana...They are a very strong team. I don't know what was wrong with the United States last game, but if we hope to have a chance against the rest of our group, we have to get our crap together.And another BTW, the Czech's Nedved was a huge asset. He inspired the team when he came out of retirement...The second best thing was AFTER he came out...They aren't as good without him. Sure, Koller and Rosicky are good players, but Nedved has been called the "Steve Nash" of Football...Thats a high complement....So Im still sticking with Brazil winning. GO RONALDINHO!

I'd say this is time for Britons to show they are one of the best teams of the world.
:drill:

it's England, you'll end up offending the jocks and taffs...

...which is fine by me.:twisted:

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Say wah?! The US's group (group e) is often called the group of death. Thats not a weak group, thats one of the strongest.I doubt that we will win against Italy,as they are 2nd in World Cup titles...Only to Brazil. If we do, I will love it. But then we have Ghana...They are a very strong team. I don't know what was wrong with the United States last game, but if we hope to have a chance against the rest of our group, we have to get our crap together.And another BTW, the Czech's Nedved was a huge asset. He inspired the team when he came out of retirement...The second best thing was AFTER he came out...They aren't as good without him. Sure, Koller and Rosicky are good players, but Nedved has been called the "Steve Nash" of Football...Thats a high complement....So Im still sticking with Brazil winning. GO RONALDINHO!

Brazil...sure...Ronaldo...sure...what the hell was that yesterday? That guy is in worse shape than me...and I am an academic in my mid-thirties. At least I run three to four times a week...which is more than I can say for Ronaldo. If Brazil really has hundreds of great players, why play "ancients" like Carlos or tubs of fat like Ronaldo? Don't get me wrong. Ronaldinho, Lucio, Ze Roberto, etc. are great (if not ultra-great) players. But I actually felt sorry for Brazil. With all the hype about being the greatest team in history, feelings of pity seem a little out of place. Almost bizarre.

After Brazil's geriatric performance (one that nearly rivalled ole' no-scoring France), Spain, the Czech Republic and England...those are the teams. I will not yet discount any team...not even Portugal and especially not Italy or Argentina. I won't even discount France even though logic demands that of me.

[How unbiased am I? I am a total German supporter, but I am realistic enough to understand that the odds are stacked heavily (is heavy even the right word) against them. I am not even feeling all that chipper about the game against Poland tonight. And who is Poland? Pele said that Germany does not have strikers, a midfield or a defence. He might be right. Pele also said that Brazil is undoubtedly the best in the world...especially with Ronaldo. Ole' tubby's performance yesterday demonstrated an unhealthy dose of bias on Pele's side...and beer on Ronaldo's].

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Say wah?! The US's group (group e) is often called the group of death.

A.) I never said it was an easy group, in fact I have complained left and right that every group in the World Cup has one team that is almost a sure thing to advance, two teams that will fight it out for the second place but likely lose in the Round of 16 and then one team that is clearly lacking. BTW, you are probably watching American converage which has really hyped up Group E being incredibly tough, and it may be, if you are an American.

B.) Why did you come out swinging at me? Because I said I think my team will win? I am a Vikings fan, I say I think my team will win every week even though I am more often wrong than I am right. :)cen:ing Gary Anderson! Missed one kick all season and it just so happened to be the only one that mattered.)

Back