FIFA World Cup anyone? - Page 13

--

June 23rd, 2006  
Ollie Garchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Since you're so informed about fat people: How's Asamoah doing?
Ok, point taken. I was just getting carried away putting down Ronaldo. I will be honest. I was pissed off that he was going to (and then did) equal Gerd Müller's record. Is he really fat? Many people think so. Others do not. I actually do not find him all that fat. But, putting down Brazilian soccer players is stupid, anyway. Fat, chubby or thin, they still win.

Asamoah is a big dude.
June 23rd, 2006  
mmarsh

In a major surprise (at least for me) France has qualified defeating Togo 2-0.
June 23rd, 2006  
Macoy

We will win that WorldCup .... its just a question of time

--
June 24th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
Ok, point taken. I was just getting carried away putting down Ronaldo. I will be honest. I was pissed off that he was going to (and then did) equal Gerd Müller's record. Is he really fat? Many people think so. Others do not. I actually do not find him all that fat. But, putting down Brazilian soccer players is stupid, anyway. Fat, chubby or thin, they still win.

Asamoah is a big dude.
He is a bit fat...But he still scores goals, so it really doesnt matter.
June 24th, 2006  
Popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
In a major surprise (at least for me) France has qualified defeating Togo 2-0.
Not a surprise at all to me. France has a complete roster from offense to defense comprised of some young new faces and veterans. They are actually quite strong. I believe they will beat Spain and advance to the quarterfinals. They should have beat Togo like 4-0. The first couple of games their formation was worthless and they had the wrong people in the wrong positions. Look for the same type of 4-4-2 lineup against Spain with Zidane back in the midfield (you know he wants to retire on a good note) and Ribery coming off the bench to provide a spark later in the game. Thierry Henry has a lot of confidence now going into the knockout stage. However, they will be stopped short by Brazil.

With that said... France is my second favorite team, so I am saying all of the positive things... but I still feel they have as good a chance as most of the final 16 now.

But... all eyes will be on my favorite team - ARGENTINA ! I picked them from the start ... ok, ok - I pick them every year, but this might be their time to shine. An easy win over Mexico will send them into the quarterfinals putting them in a tough match against hosts Germany. With the German strikers in such good form and everyone on Argentina getting in on the action we could see a very high scoring game that ends up being decided by pk's.

Who knows, the play will become much more intense and fun to watch in the knockout stage. Anything can happen, these are just some of my predictions for my favorite teams.
June 24th, 2006  
fingolfin361

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
Austrailia wins against Croatia 3-2...\
It was a draw...2-2

Round-of-16 kicks off with the Mannschaft taking on Sweden in 5 hours, i can't wait! Really hope Germany win. Any idea if any regular starters from either team are injured/suspended? I hope Huth starts...but thats just my opinion.
June 24th, 2006  
Ollie Garchy

If Germany wins today, which they should, the Argies are cooked...assuming too, that they make the next round. How things have changed. I remember prior to the World Cup that many people thought the Germans would not pass the opening round. Like always, a "lousy" German team seems to win.

I can only say...in reference to others...Fear the Germans. FEAR THEM!

(all in fun, guys. There seem to be no sure bets in Football...other than Brazil.)
June 24th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Garchy
If Germany wins today, which they should, the Argies are cooked...assuming too, that they make the next round. How things have changed. I remember prior to the World Cup that many people thought the Germans would not pass the opening round. Like always, a "lousy" German team seems to win.

I can only say...in reference to others...Fear the Germans. FEAR THEM!

(all in fun, guys. There seem to be no sure bets in Football...other than Brazil.)
Not even they are completely immortal...I want to see someone like Ghana beat them. That'd be great...

Germany eliminates Sweden, and I must say...Germany dominated. Sweden had no chance after the twelfth minute. Sweden was outplayed from the whistle.Good show Germany. Now lets see who gets to play the host nation, Argentina or Mexico. If its Argentina, Germany will have their hands full with Javier Pedro Saviola. If its Mexico, then good luck to them, because Germany will wipe the floor.
June 24th, 2006  
loki

Whoohooo, what a glorious day!

Concerning Argentina, they were godlike against Serbia but pretty unspectacular against the Netherlands. I think they need a lot of space to get their pass-play going. If our guys play aggressive enough next Friday they will have a chance.
June 24th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

I agree. I think Germany has to play forward, or play very very conservatively and put men back and fight the ball. Germany cannot, I repeat CANNOT let Saviola have any room to run. They need to mark him shirt-tight.

On the Argentinian side of the ball...They need to try to get in behind defence and play the ball down the wing into Javier Pedro Saviola. Argentina has a lot of depth on their side, but it won't do them any good if the German defence stick with them. Argentina needs to really step up their passing game. If they play like they did against the Netherlands, then Germany will easily contain them and perhaps even shut them out...It all depends on both teams' stratageys.