FIFA backs Cambodia's football boss

MightyMacbeth

I am Honor
PHNOM PENH, Dec 29, 2006 (AFP) - Football's world governing body has endorsed the election of a military police chief to head the Cambodia Football Federation, despite concerns of political interference, according to a letter received Friday.
FIFA's chief Sepp Blatter extended his "deepest congratulations" to newly elected Sao Sokha in a letter dated December 18.
Blatter urged Sao Sokha to work to help Cambodian football to "reach new heights and to gain the international recognition it deserves."
"In this task, you can rely on my support and on FIFA assistance," Blatter wrote.
Sao Sokha, a military police chief and a close ally of Prime Minister Hun Sen, was re-elected as the chief of the federation earlier this month after FIFA complained that his first election in April was politically influenced.
FIFA had threatened to suspend its 250,000 dollars in annual funding to Cambodia's national football program, which has struggled to gain international respect after numerous scandals and a dismal record of losses.
Cambodia is currently ranked 184 out of 205 countries by FIFA.

one of the lowest ranking teams in fifa, and fifa is showing care. I think fifa should be the new UN :hide:

Back