Fiercest Battle in History

berlin was quite firce, russians had to take their 203mm batteries as direct fire weapons to knock down almost everyhouse because of fierce german resistance, being reduced to rubble after ally bombing and one of the heaviest bombardment on earth, there was rubble and russians didnt seem to remember stalingrad tactics, so the germans took the cover ver well and the russians had to gun down every thing that looks alive

now that we esdablished the first and second, being stalingrad and berlin

give some suggestions for third

i think the battle of britain deserves taht prize, it wasnt the msot deaths but the airbattles were the fiercest ( inspired by the film :p )

Yeah, air combat is very fierce, but how about something from 'Nam? What does every one here think about those battles and operations?

I think combat within Jungle areas that are so dense that you at times need flashlights during day time would be unbelievably frightening.

hmmm let me think

Air battle in WW2 esp. Battle of Britain was and still is the most advanced that it has ever been.

opps, someone forgot to add kursk

it was the single biggest tank engagement in the world, i think chinaman should add that in

AA said:
opps, someone forgot to add kursk

it was the single biggest tank engagement in the world, i think chinaman should add that in

Whilst undoubtedly fierce, there wasn't urban battles on the scale of Stalingrad or Berlin. There were quite a few battles on the Eastern Front that were just as intense as Kursk.

like the battle of moscow, kharkov 42' and 43', operation bagration, libration of ukraine, destruction of army groupe center, operation mars....

there is no other war or front or place onthe world where a more fierce competetion betwene two different beliefs, countries and people have. the amount of men and machine involved in this battlefiled outnumbers any suggestions, the death toll was terrible and the number of shells and ammo lying on the eastern front is staggering, to this day many poeple still find mines and other military antiques dated back from the eastern front during world war II

#1) Thermopole
#2) Bastogne
#3) Forgot the name of this one. Romans vs. Brittish warrior queen; battle where warrior queen was defeated. Romans where cornered after an entire legion was whiped out by the rebellious warriror queen. With their backs basically to a wall they fought for revenge and their lives against a vastly numerically superior Brittish attacking force. When the Brittish routed they ran into their own supplies which where unintentionally setup in such a way as it formed a barrier for the routed Brits and the Romans bloodlust slaughtered the warriors with their wives and children against their own baggage train.

Honorable mention - The ambush of Varous' (sp?) column in the Teutoberg(sp?) Forest.

i would say the Mongol expansion in the 13 century, they attack and sack everything in the way! the turks in the middle east, a few cities were over 1million in population. nearly all citites were sacked.
its empire stretch from korea to middle of germany!

Someone mentioned vietnam, on a very small scale the tunnel rats who went down into the unknown darkness with almost no equipment and when they met the enemy it could degenerate into horrible hand to hand fighting using gouging scratching and biting to the death ,that must have been terrifing

nah, still goes with the soviet battles and the first is stalingrad

can you guys provide some good reasons why you thought those ancient battles were the fierest, because simply i am not buying it 8)

Zucchini said:
I would say the fiercest battle is the one that never happened - the invasion of Japan.

Which one, the American or the Soviet which was supposed to occur only a week or two after the Bombs were dropped? Of course, with the nuclear destruction of the two cities, the plan was scratched due to the capitulation of the Japanese forces.

Vitaly said:
Zucchini said:
I would say the fiercest battle is the one that never happened - the invasion of Japan.

Which one, the American or the Soviet which was supposed to occur only a week or two after the Bombs were dropped? Of course, with the nuclear destruction of the two cities, the plan was scratched due to the capitulation of the Japanese forces.

He probably means the American one which had predicted conservative casualties of 1 million US soldiers dead. It's a certainty that it would have been very bloody and intense that's for sure.

the soviets would also have invaded from hokkaido and the northern japan since they were at war with Japan at this time.
i dont really believe it, but some people think that in addition to the threat of A-bombs the japanese were just totally unwilling to bear russian troops on their island, (they really hated each other back then) etc.

I guess it's possible, but Togo had been stationed in Moscow and he was looking to the Soviets for help in negotiating terms right up to moment when the Soviets declared war on Japan, which was at the invitation of the allies. FDR never seemed to tire of having the Soviets take out millions of men instead of the USA doing it.

The American invasion was scheduled to land on November 1st. Could the Russians have been ready with a material force by that date?

well, i would really like to say this:

i think americans and westerns have exertertated the western front and the invasion of france as well as the offensive into germany as too covered and most attention went to this

something you ought to know before judging it

the eastern front was by far more brutal inbattle and it is just titantic

most of the german panzerarmee, shock troops, elite units, tank strength and ifnantry was involved here, more than 60-eeven 80% of the german strength went aginist teh soviet army

you could say that the russians had stalled the germans and saved the allies from facing aginist the crack german untis

on this topic of the most fierest battle of the world, stalingrad definetly is, but although most of you disagree with me, this is my reason why( above)

When I was a kid, back in the day, school history teachers barely mentioned the Soviet's participation in the war. And when they did it was usually laced with anti-communist propaganda.

We in the USA can complain that a slanted version of history has been taught in schools in other countries, but we have done our fair share of that ourselves.

In my mind, for WWII, it comes down to Stalingrad and Iwo Jima.

agreed

but iwo jima? though celebrated, it didn't do as much for the pacific war because the united states forces were already on the offensive and it wasnt as significant as a turning point

id say midway, stalingrad and kursk

I was thinking about it, and actually nothing tops a large amount of eastern front battles. Imagine the unbelievable courage of the Soviet and German soldiers in the east. There was Stalingrad, Seige at Leningrad, Berlin, Operation Mars, Kursk, and others like Brest.

Back