Fiercest Battle in History - Page 15

--

March 24th, 2005  
MadeInChina

ok, so we are tlking ancient eh??

1. battle of guandu, an army of 700,000 defeated by 70000 due to fierce tactics and diversion strategy, both sides fought very fiercely

2. battle of chibi, two navies go ahead in a battle in which more than 400,000 participated in the yantze river, fierce in spy works and grusume naval battles, in the end a fire attacked ended it all in whcih the northern side was annilated
March 25th, 2005  
06USMC

Any battle with Gangus Khan
March 26th, 2005  
MadeInChina

well his battles were not very famous as its the usual routine of pillage and ownage

however note millions died under his cavary's hoofs since they masscred everywhere they went
--
March 26th, 2005  
Themrose89

Don't forget antiedam and Gettysburg. 15000 men died/were wounded in Pickets Charge
March 26th, 2005  
Zucchini

Of Civil War battles, I think the combat at The Bloody Angle should definitely be mentioned. The fighting was often hand-to-hand, and it continued with few breaks for almost 20 solid hours. Bodies were 2 and 3 deep in places, and some large trees along the angle took so many rifle hits that they eventually fell across the trenches killing even more men.
March 26th, 2005  
MadeInChina

ya but slowloading muskets going off trying to each other doesnt seem as more brutal or fierce than riflemen and machines going at each other
March 26th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
ya but slowloading muskets going off trying to each other doesnt seem as more brutal or fierce than riflemen and machines going at each other
I suggest you watch the movie "Glory" then. Much more realistic in battle casualties than most Civil War epics.
April 3rd, 2005  
Young Winston

From what I have read recently, some of the WW2 Pacific War battles
involving the US Marines and the Australians against the Japanese were just terrible.

The Battle of Peleliu Island is not well known. At that time the Arnhem landings got all the news. The press corp were told it would only last a few days so few went ashore. It lasted for two months. It was a shocking hell hole for the US Marines who fought there. 1250 Marines were killed. The brilliant Australian combat cameraman Damien Parer was killed there as well as several other press people.
April 3rd, 2005  
SHERMAN

You cant really scale them...I mea you cant say "this battle was about a 10 and this one was about a 7"....Im ena, you just cant measure it. My step dad told once told me that he saw battles where one company comander was sue heavy artilliary is raining down across the field, and another wasent too bothered by the bombardment. A hand to hand skermish in Gaza where an Israeli officer kills the armed terrorist using his helmet(he was out of ammo), is no less fierce than on Israeli tank rgiment stopping 3 syrian divisions....
April 3rd, 2005  
MadeInChina

well, let me argue that stalingrad indeed deserves teh title

soldiers had to drink the water out of their machineguns and pee into them to survive

sewers were fought in as well

anybody that try to look over the other side gets an instant blow in the brains

artillery barages in city streets on both sides with aircraft overhead and mortar, grenade, heavy machinegun fires, that simple shook the ground and fragments were in the millions

in one day a hill was fought and changed hands several times

later found in the mamave hill that every scoop of dirt contained several thousand pieces of fragements and shells

the land was frozen and the unburied bodies presented a really deathly look to the city