Fied Marshall Walther Model

Michael86

I've recently been reading about the German Field Marshall Walther Model and must say I would regard him as the best Soldier of the Wehrmacht. He was reknowned for his defensive capabilities holding vast areas of the line against a numerically superior enemy.

I was amazed to read that in the final months of the war when encircled by the US 1st and 9th Armies he held out against them for 17 days untill depleting the last of his ammunition reserves. He then gathered his staff to dissolve his command and said

'Has everything been done to justify our actions in the light of history? What can there be left for a commander in defeat?'

Rather than be captured by the enemy he commited suicide.

A true Soldier to the end unlike some of the cowards that served in the higher ranks of the Wehrmacht.

He was an arrogant bastard and his staff hated him like the plague. He disparaged all who did not have the same opinion as himself.

I suppose your in the know a lot more than me "Der Alte" but as a tactician and Soldier I admire him especially when compared to the likes of Seydlitze, Paulus, Oster, Canaris, Stauffenberg etc.

My favourite Soldiers of the Wehrmacht are Dietl, Schorner and Hoth to name but a few.

What rank as an officer was you and what unit was you attached to if you don't mind my asking??

He was an arrogant bastard and his staff hated him like the plague. He disparaged all who did not have the same opinion as himself.

Thank Christ I didn't have to say it.
:)

However he was a very capable leader despite the short comings of his personality and I very nearly recommended him in your "Germany's most capable leaders" thread of a while ago but felt that may have caused problems, that being said I almost put up von Paulus as well to get your opinion.

I suppose your in the know a lot more than me "Der Alte" but as a tactician and Soldier I admire him especially when compared to the likes of Seydlitze, Paulus, Oster, Canaris, Stauffenberg etc.

My favourite Soldiers of the Wehrmacht are Dietl, Schorner and Hoth to name but a few.

What rank as an officer was you and what unit was you attached to if you don't mind my asking??

Hermann Hoth, Gotthard Heinrici and Hasso Manteuffel would be the ones I would like to study more about as I tend to think they have largely been over looked by history in favour of the Rommels and Guderians of the German High Command.

Last edited:
I once read, forgive me if I'm wrong that in order to continue the momentum in an attack through the Cleisouris pass, Brigadefuhrer Kurt Meyer, through a grenade into the ranks of his men to stop the attack from stalling. Astonishing. Finest warriors since the Roman legions, the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS.

I once read, forgive me if I'm wrong that in order to continue the momentum in an attack through the Cleisouris pass, Brigadefuhrer Kurt Meyer, through a grenade into the ranks of his men to stop the attack from stalling. Astonishing. Finest warriors since the Roman legions, the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS.

That incident is supposed to have happened in April 1941 at the Battle of Kleisoura Pass in Greece.

I am not sure hurling grenades at your own troops is considered a good idea but it was effective in that case, but then I am not as inspired by the SS's fighting ability as many others seem to be.

Last edited:
When the allies launched Market Garden, Model thought they were there to catch him. I think that says alot about his ego.

Back