A few specific questions about tours of duty in Vietnam...

tanner88

Hi, I'm an outsider researching the Americans involvement in the Vietnam War, particularly the later years (70-73). I just have a few questions - some might be awfully obvious, but I'd sure appreciate the help.

With keeping in mind the rotation of personnel opposed to units, during the War, were entire units around the end of the war removed at once regardless of how far the individual personnel were into their tour/cutting their tour short?

In regards to personnel being able to extend their tour of duty for 6 months, what reasons, if any, could you see for a soldier to be denied this request at the end of the war (besides their unit being send home).

If realistic in any case, how would/could a hypothetical soldier be given this news? Would he be told by a superior? Would it be given to him in some kind of document?

Further to this, could the soldier argue it, or get around the refusal in some way, if he, for some reason vehemently wanted to stay on in the country.

Many thanks for your time, and apologies for my ignorance if my questions are full of holes.
-J

My unit, the 66th Engr. Co. (TOPO) was deactivated in early 1972 and I was sent home with only 6//7 months in country.

Probably no short answer.
I know when 5th SFG left in 71 some of the guys went to different though related jobs.

They continued as trainers or advisors. They had specialized skills which needed applying.
Can't speak for anybody else.
Interesting question.
Also, there were a lot of available early outs at the time-schools, police departments, etc.
The military had a whole lot of people they needed to dump about that time.

Back