few quick green to gold questions!

dodge8604

I'm currently deployed to Iraq right now, in the process of dropping my green to gold packet.

I've pretty much got my ducks in a row, just have a few questions so I can iron the rest of this out. I hope someone here can help me out!

With my DODMERB physical, everyone here is dumbfounded by the 2492 and 2351 forms that I downloaded with the rest of the packet. They know how to do them they just don't know why I have them, even though I tell them what the deal is and that they NEED to get done. Or do they really NEED to get done?

I also have a question about the credit check...who performs this check? Or do I need to provide paperwork? just need a little help with that one =P

my final question is about the actual action of turning in the packet. Do I turn it in to my chain of command or do I send it to the ROTC office at the school I'll be attending? Im kind of hesitant about turning it into my chain of command, they seem resistant to me even doing this and I have gotten minimal help from any of them. Is there any way that I could send my packet straight to Fort Monroe to Cadet command?? :mrgreen: Which method is the quickest way?!

Thanks in advance hope someone can give me a little insight!!!

Some of the answers depend on which flavor of the Green to Gold program you are opting for. I presume you are looking at the Green to Gold Active Duty Option Program? If so, then the answers are:

1. Yes, you do need the forms you refer to (see the checklist in the packet).

2. Credit checks are part of the background investigation conducted by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) or one of their contractors as part of your clearance process. Usually they run your name and SSAN thru the credit reporting services to see if you have any derogatory info (bad credit, huge past due balances, in way over your head with respect to income versus debt, etc.). This report is part of the investigation packet.

3. Yes, it does. Several of the forms have to be signed by your Commanding Officer and Field Grade Commander (Battalion CDR normally). Again, see the checklist in the packet.

Hope that helped. If not, ask more questions and I will try to answer them. :)

^^^ What he said... As a former Recruiting officer for ROTC, if you have any questions, call the recruiting officer. He/She will be able to assist you. They are/should be trained on the GTG program with all of the paperwork necessary for the program.

the DODMERB is a pain in the butt stateside, so I can imagine that it is painful there. They really do NEED to get done...

It's painful, but once completed, you will be good to go.

I'm doing the 4 year option, but you still answered my questions! I did call the ROTC office with my questions. They have been very helpful but there has been a few answers they've given me that were very vague. I should be turning in the packet by the end of next week. It said the deadline was April 1st for the fall semester, does this mean I have to turn it in to my chain of command by the 1st or it has to be at Cadet Command by the 1st?

Being deployed and doing this packet has been quite a process, I'll be mad as hell if I miss that deadline! :mad:

Thanks again, for the help though!!!

According to the official MOI: "All applications for SY 09/10 must be received by Cadet Command NLT 1 April 2009 "

Yipe! Best have your unit expedite this! Don't panic, you still have time, but not much.

Last edited:
Any way you'd be able to let me know how you got that information? Is there any other important factors I need to know about for this? Im pretty sure I have all the bases covered x2 but I just wanna get this right the first time. Its not helping being in Iraq with a chain of command that is so sluggish, when we have all the resources needed to get this done :-o I do understand mission first though.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

H-Minus

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Okay I was goin through all my stuff again and I just had a few more questions I hope you guys can help me with. I was wondering more about the credit check, do I have it done before I turn it in or is it done after i turn in my packet.

Concerning the APFT scores, I have been in this unit for almost 2 years but I have only taken one formal PT test with forms that were correctly completed and put on file. Do I just submit the one that I do have? I also have the same situation with my awards, I have an AAM, ICS-CM, global war on terrorism, ASR, NDSM. I can't get copies of my ICS-CM or GWOT until I return from Iraq, and I cannot find copies of my ASR or NDSM anywhere (i even went to S-1 and checked my OMPF) Do I just submit the copy of my AAM and leave it at that since its the only one I can get my hands on? Thanks in advance
[/FONT]

My understanding is that Cadet Command and OPM do the credit check, not you. You need to fill out your part of the packet and get it in with whatever you have on hand (don't for get to check iPERMS as more of your awards and other info should be on there). You are amost out of time and need to get it into the system.

As to the APFT, I would include a statement from your CO CDR that you are deployed ISO OIF, are unable to take the APFT due to the tactical situation, and that the DA 705 submitted is the most current on file. That or get the info from your last test (with a passing score) and have it formally added to your DA 705 and submit it. If the persons who graded your last APFT and/or was NCOIC/OIC are not available, go with what you have. Don't make anything up.

I did check my iPerms and that is the only award I could get documentation for. So I guess i'll just go with that one?

and for the APFTs I guess i'll just have the CO do a memorandum or somethin similar to what you said. Its so much harder doin this thing here, no resources at all!

Also I was planning on getting my signatures and the rest of the paperwork done and just sending the packet to cadet command myself. I would of course let my chain of command know that I sent it in and am waiting for a response but I think that I could get it there faster if I just mail it through the APO at the big FOB down the road.

Also I was re-reading the Green to Gold program, it has most of the information about submitting a packet. I saw that it says you need to be eligible for reenlistment although I did mention to the ROTC office at the school I'll be attending that I am NOT up for reenlistment and I was told not to really worry about that. I actually am kinda worried about getting my packet kicked back so I'm thinking for good measure I can type up a Reenlistment waiver, ya know just in case. Im thinking if they don't need it they'll just say "wtf?" and toss the waiver LOL but if I don't im afraid they'll kick my packet back and I wont be able to start in the fall...which would make me extremely pissed :evil:

I'll be calling them today to clarify some of these but thanks in advance for any help!!!

hey dodge8604, i just turned in my packet to cadet command and the lady that looks at all the packets goes over each and everyone. so if you are missing stuff as long as you have something turned in 1 apr then you should be good. i wish you the best of luck and i too have my fingers crossed in hope of crossing over. if you need any more help just let me know and i should be able to answer any of your questions.

Back