a Few Questions

Lamm

I just have a few quick questions I've been wanting to get answered out of cuiousity.

1. Could someone explain to me what a Major up to General in the USMC commands? Does a Major command a Battalion?...etc.

2. A Master Sergeant and a First Sergeant have the same pay grade. I know a 1st Sergeant leads a Company, what does a Master Sergeant do? Also, does one have to be promoted to Master Sergeant then to 1st Sergeant? Same thing with the E-9 NCO's, what about them?

3. If I was in the USMCR while in college, and I finished college and wanted to apply for OCS, what would be the process for me to take?

Thanks for any and all help,

Lamm said:
I just have a few quick questions I've been wanting to get answered out of cuiousity.

1. Could someone explain to me what a Major up to General in the USMC commands? Does a Major command a Battalion?...etc.

2. A Master Sergeant and a First Sergeant have the same pay grade. I know a 1st Sergeant leads a Company, what does a Master Sergeant do? Also, does one have to be promoted to Master Sergeant then to 1st Sergeant? Same thing with the E-9 NCO's, what about them?

3. If I was in the USMCR while in college, and I finished college and wanted to apply for OCS, what would be the process for me to take?

Thanks for any and all help,

1. Majors Serve as Bn XO's and Bn and Regt. Staff Officers and various other B-billets such as I&I, RS CO, Recruit Training Depot Officers, MSG Duty.
Lt. Col's Serve as Bn CO's Regt.XO's and Division,Group Staff Officers and the above B-billets.
Col's Serve as Regt CO's Staff officers at Division, MEF ,HQMC the Pentagon and certain other commands. (Just a Note all Field Grade Officers and Some Company Grade Officers can serve in The same areas.)

Brig Gen. Serve as Deputy Division Commanding General. Base Commanding General. Division, HQMC, and higher Staff Billets.
Major Gen. Serves as Division Commander and higher staff billets.
Lt. Gen Commands MEF's , and FMF'S
Generals are Commandant and ASST. Commandant.

2. Master Sgt's/Master Gunnery Sgt's remain within their MOS fields for example a Msgt/Mgysgt 0300 would be an 0369 and assigned to an Infantry unit when not in B-Billet or instructor Billets. They would be a "Grunt Great Grand Daddy"

1st Sgt/SgtMajor's are 9999 MOS they are administrative billets responsible for Admin duties at Company (1st Sgt), Bn, Regt, Div, Meu ,MEB, MEF,FMF and for one at Corps level. 9999 can be assigned anywhere in the Corps regardless of primary MOS. This why you see a 1st Sgt assigned to an Infantry Company whose Primary MOS is Aviation Mechanic.

3. For this question you need to contact an OSO.

Back