A few questions about WW2.

I also think part of the problem was that they may have misdiagnosed the cause early on as being related to the petrol engine when if you read many of the crew reports it becomes more apparent that it was ammunition stowage that was more likely the fault as the reports describe cordite fires far more often than fuel fires.

Also when you consider the PzKpfw IV also caught fire at about 80% of the time and the PzKpfw V about 60% of the time 15% wasn't a bad number.

Touché and good points.

Pretty much any 75mm gun could have taken out a Sherman tank,

Yes ,120mm mortar can blow up the M4 tank,in late period of ww2, Japanese factories built many 120mm mortars,for equipment the costal denfendsive troops of homeland. I think mortar threat american troops seriously it they landed.
the mortar very suit for terrain of Japan ,especially Japanese lack of steels in 1945.
The merit of 120mm motor compare the 75mm Howitzer:
more effective killing range and suit mountain and guerrilla warfare.
mortar weight light compare than the same Howitzer , need less steel than howitzer.the costs of mortar cheap ,can big-volume manufacturing in the wartimes.

Yes ,120mm mortar can blow up the M4 tank,in late period of ww2, Japanese factories built many 120mm mortars,for equipment the costal denfendsive troops of homeland. I think mortar threat american troops seriously it they landed.
the mortar very suit for terrain of Japan ,especially Japanese lack of steels in 1945.
The merit of 120mm motor compare the 75mm Howitzer:
more effective killing range and suit mountain and guerrilla warfare.
mortar weight light compare than the same Howitzer , need less steel than howitzer.the costs of mortar cheap ,can big-volume manufacturing in the wartimes.

You know Udaka, I think this is the first time I actually agree with you on something. The 120mm mortar then as well as now was and is a very effective weapons system.

Baby steps my friend....baby steps...

It is odd that the allies seemed to think that Ack Ack guns were just for anti aircraft work and that was that. The British 3 inch Ack Ack gun used during WW 2 would have done the same job as the German 88. After the war it was mounted in a tank called the Thor which was very heavily armoured and was to be used as a mobile pill box in Germany if the Russians ever attacked. Prototypes were built but it never went into production. The Germans when they captured the 3 inch gun liked it so much they used it them selfs and even made ammunition for it.

It is odd that the allies seemed to think that Ack Ack guns were just for anti aircraft work and that was that. The British 3 inch Ack Ack gun used during WW 2 would have done the same job as the German 88. After the war it was mounted in a tank called the Thor which was very heavily armoured and was to be used as a mobile pill box in Germany if the Russians ever attacked. Prototypes were built but it never went into production. The Germans when they captured the 3 inch gun liked it so much they used it them selfs and even made ammunition for it.
I'm thinking you had an AA gun that actually measured 88MM, but the Brit mindset ruled it out in the A-T role because it was an AA gun.

I'm thinking you had an AA gun that actually measured 88MM, but the Brit mindset ruled it out in the A-T role because it was an AA gun.

The Russians converted a British 3.7 AAA to an anti tank role. It was captured by the Germans and ended up in the Afrika Korps where it was captured by the British. As far as I am aware the 40mm Bofors was also used to good affect as bunker busters after D Day.

The 3.7" AA gun was somewhat similar to the German 88mm gun being 5mm larger in the bore and firing a projectile at approximately the same muzzle velocity. The gun itself was necessarily a little heavier and I believe was not built for extremely rapid deployment. If I wasn't so bloody lazy I'd Google it.:wink:

Like you I was always led to believe that it was a combination of both AA units not wanting to surrender their guns for use by AT crews, and somewhere in there a bit of lack of imagination on behalf of the hierarchy. I can't vouch for this though.

According statistics, during ww2, U.S. submarines were sunk 1113 transport ships of Japan, another 65 was estimated to be sunk, add up to more than 5.32 million tons.
I am thinking , if the Japanese save tens of thousands steels not to build ship instead of manufacture a lot cannons. To strengthen the artilery of Japanese in pacific battlefiled. The US and English suffer a very serious loss in ww2 certainly.
And the submarine of Japan is the most imcompetent and stupid troops in ww2 compare the US submarines.
Oh, my god. even though they had the chance ,but commanders of Japanese submarines attck the transport ships rarely.

b11dc75cf8e09f8b949f9fc2c0a215e1.jpg

Last edited:
United States and Japanwas were enemies in ww2, their hated degree even compare Soviet with German. not mention to Pearl Harbor, the both sides between conflict never killed medic European battlefield, the premise was Medic couldn't bring gun, but Japanese intend to shoot Medic of US, so medics had to bring gun in pacify.
the film "letter from Iwo Jima" ,Japanese officer ordered soldiers shoot the US Medic specially!

"Saving Private Ryan " eight-man squad to assualt the Germans radar position in France, a Medic was no gun who dead, before attack he changing equipment with other soldiers, because he didn't carry guns. Japanese killed Medic, missionaries intentionlly.Such dirty tactics was not honorable and inhumane, this kind of opponent wasn't worthy of respect. Of course, the Yankees dare not to face final battle on Japanese homeland, killing 200,000 civilians with nuclear weapons, this wasn't a commendable and honorable act.

.Such dirty tactics was not honorable and inhumane, this kind of opponent wasn't worthy of respect. Of course, the Yankees dare not to face final battle on Japanese homeland, killing 200,000 civilians with nuclear weapons, this wasn't a commendable and honorable act.
And what were the estimates of casualties if we had invaded the Home Islands? 2 million dead/wounded?

Of course, the Yankees dare not to face final battle on Japanese homeland, killing 200,000 civilians with nuclear weapons, this wasn't a commendable and honorable act.

The usual boy-scout stupidities:the unintentionally killing of civilians in wartime is inevitable and legal.

Commendable,honorable::cen::cen:

The usual boy-scout stupidities:the unintentionally killing of civilians in wartime is inevitable and legal.

Commendable,honorable::cen::cen:

What is wrong with you? use atomic bomb attak civiians was unintentionally? Sorry, I am not very familiar the ww2 history occured in Europe area. But according the public materials of western.
The British and US airforce bombed the Dresden and massacre 150 thousands cilivians of Genman. was that unintentionally?
"the reports in wartime. numerous building, a lot of Banks shop; warehouse; market; hotel;hospital wreck,about 200 factories destrutive.!"

was that legal?

Last edited:
I recall a Germanic movie about air strike Dresden,produced 2006! A scene in movie impress me, the civilian of German excute the british pilot immediately as caught them. due to their relatives die at bombs of British pilots.

As why ally air strike Dresden, most points were for destory the German capacity of industrial production..

But a little view claim the air strike was for killed the skilled industrial workers of German as possible. Because blow the factories of enemy, the facotry can rebuild a few days later. But killed a skill worker, you need 10-16 years to cultivate!
Why the industrial production and quality of Japan lower and lower gradually since the war broke out? Except the ally air stike Japan,one reason was many skilled worker recruited in army and die at war!

A civilian of German shoot pilot.

6d0bdbb44aed2e73ab4420738501a18b86d6fab5.jpg

Last edited:
If American and British land on homeland of Japan, that casualties must unimaginable! Accoding the estimate of US, 1 million soldiers will die and wounded in the invasion. Due to nearly 5 million militia mobilised in Japanese homeland. Even though these troops were new formation! Many of them lack of guns and cannon.

But I think it still serious threat to US and British. First reason, always have soldiers perish in the battle! you don't need equip one soldier one gun.In theory, 10000 Japanese soldiers equip 5000 rifles that is enough! A soldier die at conflict! another Japanese soldier will receive his rifle and continue shoot! Because the air strike! The steel producition of Japanese until 1945 August only 1/4 compare 1944, only 0.98 million tons.but that is enough. Because most of steels ,the Japs use built navy and ships. compare the land force consume steels were less.

0.98 million tons steel.If Japanese built tanks(consume steel much more than artillery) less comparative. It can manufacture millions rifles, tens of thousands 75- 150 mm cannons and mortars.

And what were the estimates of casualties if we had invaded the Home Islands? 2 million dead/wounded?

Last edited:
150 MM HOWITZER OF JAPANESE

14571369.jpg

90mm Mortar of Japs

14571325.jpg

Artillery, Stalin give their nickname : The lords of war!

Last edited:
If American and British land on homeland of Japan, that casualties must unimaginable! Accoding the estimate of US, 1 million soldiers will die and wounded in the invasion. Due to nearly 5 million militia mobilised in Japanese homeland. Even though these troops were new formation! Many of them lack of guns and cannon.

But I think it still serious threat to US and British. First reason, always have soldiers perish in the battle! you don't need equip one soldier one gun.In theory, 10000 Japanese soldiers equip 5000 rifles that is enough! A soldier die at conflict! another Japanese soldier will receive his rifle and continue shoot! Because the air strike! The steel producition of Japanese until 1945 August only 1/4 compare 1944, only 0.98 million tons.but that is enough. Because most of steels ,the Japs use built navy and ships. compare the land force consume steels were less.

0.98 million tons steel.If Japanese built tanks(consume steel much more than artillery) less comparative. It can manufacture millions rifles, tens of thousands 75- 150 mm cannons and mortars.

So you agree that at least a million casualties would have been inflicted on the US military.

How many Japanese do you think would have been killed in the process of an invasion?

When General Curtis LeMay fire bombed Tokyo with Napalm over 100.000 Japanese died in this attack far than were killed by both Atomic Bombs that were dropped on Japan, so why all the fuss on dropping the Atom bombs and not the fire bombing of Tokyo

When General Curtis LeMay fire bombed Tokyo with Napalm over 100.000 Japanese died in this attack far than were killed by both Atomic Bombs that were dropped on Japan, so why all the fuss on dropping the Atom bombs and not the fire bombing of Tokyo
I've made the same comment in other Forums! :-D I guess it's because incineration is an established way of killing vs vaporization, or because it's overshadowed by the New Tech attacks (publicity of Hiroshima/Nagasaki vs Tokyo fire bombing)

If west countries attack the homeland of Japan, their fleet will expose directly the thousands of suicide plans on Japan homeland. In Okinawa,
the suicide plans need to took off from homeland Island. fly serval hundreds miles arrvial Okinawa attacked fleet of west countries. So perhaps the fleets will suffer more serious loss than Okinawa.

Another hands, perhaps the Japanese will abandon the denfense poisition on beach, lead to US troops land on Japan. the main troops of Japs built the strong denfence position in island. At there the US troops couldn't got the strong firepowers suppot from 450mm guns of fleet. These campainge must very hardship.Duo to 60% territory of Japan are mountain and low hill. So, you can't expect the M4 tanks group and armor vichcles excert a great effort in conflict.

Last edited:
Back