A few questions about the Marines

FutureDevilDog

1) When you become a Marine do you get to keep all your different types of camo with you at your house?
2) Are DIs allowed to hit you if they are mad?
3) What types of things do you do during the Crucible?
4) Do they teach you survival training (water procurement, hunting, etc)?

1) if you are home on leave or whatever and decide to bring your cammies home, yes you are authorized, not authorized to wear on leave or liberty though.

2)DI's are not "allowed" to hit you and probably wont hit you out of anger but out of trying to teach you something that you arent fully comprehending, if they hit you at all

3)Crucible is pretty much a gut check to see how much you can endure and they just run you dry, a lot of crawling through the mud, jumping over obstacles, totting ammo cans w/ rocks around, hiking, shooting, NBC, and confidence courses, (in a nutshell)

4)the USMC has CWS (combat water survival) to teach you how to swim w/ a full load on your back and whatnot, they teach you how to do the things then its up to you to do them correctly, you have to pass swim qual to pass basic training. CWS 4 which is the easiest and the only required one is wading through the water in full combat gear, a 25m swim (dont remember what you wear) and a 10' tower, and a 2min tread and 3min. float.

Nope you get your TO&E weapon.

0311- M16A2, M249 SAW, M16A2 W/M203 grenade launcher. Generally as a boot 11 your humpin the SAW or the 203.

0341- You hump your mortar tube, base plate, bipod, rounds, aimming stakes etc plus your TO&E sidearm or if your unlucky a rifle.

0331- M240G, M2BMG, Mk 19. Plus your TO&E sidearm.

Table of Organization and Equipment Weapon. It's the weapon you rate to carry for that MOS at that rank or level.

Say you are a PFC are you allowed to boss around a regular private
And say you are like a seargent major or some other high enlisted rank, can any officer regardless of the officers rank boss tell you what to do

Your gettin into touchy and iffy scenerios here. A PFC outranks a Private and in theory can give a Private Orders. However a PFC will rarely ever be in a postion to exert authority over Privates unless under the supervision of a Lcpl or an NCO and then it will take the form of a training evalution generally.

All enlisted Marines must follow all lawful orders from all commissioned officers (this includes Warrant Officers) of the United States Armed Forces and Allied Nations. Regardless of whether you are a Private or a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

I searched for answers to the following question both on and off the site and couldnt find any answers.

1) If a family member dies during bootcamp are you allowed to go home and resume at a later date?

2)My friend told me when you go to infantry training they use live ammunition during combat traing. Is this true?

3)How many miles a day do you run in basic training?

4) How do you become part of the Marine Expeditionary Unit?

Thanks
PS Sorry for all the questions at once

FutureDevilDog said:
I searched for answers to the following question both on and off the site and couldnt find any answers.

1) If a family member dies during bootcamp are you allowed to go home and resume at a later date?

2)My friend told me when you go to infantry training they use live ammunition during combat traing. Is this true?

3)How many miles a day do you run in basic training?

4) How do you become part of the Marine Expeditionary Unit?

Thanks
PS Sorry for all the questions at once

1. You can be granted Emergency Leave in the event of the death of a member of your immediate family.

2. Yes in some phases of training such as CAX you will use live ammo. You will do live fire ex's in controlled settings. You do not fire live ammo in training ex's when you playing "war games" against a live OPFOR. You use blanks, smokes, and illums.

3. Depends on the training schedule. No less than 3 miles and I believe our longest was 6 miles.

4. You will be part of a MEU/ SOC MEU if your Bn is assigned that role.

just to add to what 03 said
1) the only way the USMC will give you emergency leave for a immediate family members death is a red cross message
3)in boot camp your first run is 1.5MI for the IST (initial strength test) after that you run quite a bit but you really never know how far you ran b/c they dont tell you. your PFT is a 3mi nomatter what.

MilidarUSMC said:
just to add to what 03 said
1) the only way the USMC will give you emergency leave for a immediate family members death is a red cross message
3)in boot camp your first run is 1.5MI for the IST (initial strength test) after that you run quite a bit but you really never know how far you ran b/c they dont tell you. your PFT is a 3mi nomatter what.[/quote

this is so true... i will tell you this right now,,, Marine Corps boot camp will put you in the best mental and physical shape in your entire life! i don't care what kind of shape that you are in you will be in better shape when you get out... as far as running :) he he he :) Just Ask you Drill Instructor they keep up with it ;)

I wanna be a Marine but I also wanna be a Navy SEAL. I just wanted to know if I could take BUD/S and be a Navy SEAL and then be apart of the navy. Also is it true that Marine Boot Camp caries over to any other branch of service.

No Marines do not go to BUD/S and get qualed as Naval Special Warfare Operators.

If you want to be a SEAL and be in the Navy then join the Navy and put in a packet for BUD/S. Your not getting there as a Marine.

Yes Recruit Training carries over for Former Marines.

03USMC said:
Your gettin into touchy and iffy scenerios here. A PFC outranks a Private and in theory can give a Private Orders. However a PFC will rarely ever be in a postion to exert authority over Privates unless under the supervision of a Lcpl or an NCO and then it will take the form of a training evalution generally.

All enlisted Marines must follow all lawful orders from all commissioned officers (this includes Warrant Officers) of the United States Armed Forces and Allied Nations. Regardless of whether you are a Private or a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Does that mean the officer can tell me to do whatever he/she wants like go get him a beer or anything

As long as the Order is lawful and does not violate the UCMJ Yes. An Officer can tell you to do just about anything.

Your Beer question. Well I never had an Officer order me to get them a beer,soda or whatever. I've had them ask me to grab them one or even send me on beer/pougie bait run. But never order me.

[/quote]I wanna be a Marine but I also wanna be a Navy SEAL. I just wanted to know if I could take BUD/S and be a Navy SEAL and then be apart of the navy. Also is it true that Marine Boot Camp caries over to any other branch of service.[/
why be a SEAL when you can be Force Recon

I wanna be a Marine but I also wanna be a Navy SEAL. I just wanted to know if I could take BUD/S and be a Navy SEAL and then be apart of the navy. Also is it true that Marine Boot Camp caries over to any other branch of service.[/
why be a SEAL when you can be Force Recon
[/quote]

Which brings me to my next question. Whats the difference between a SEAL and a Force Recon Marine, besides ones in the Navy and ones a Marine?

Their missions are different.

Force Recon conducts Recon missions for the MEF. They are not part of USSOCOM.

Not quite to that extreme, I never had anybody that outranked me tell me to get them a beer, they might ask at a command function, but thats all. Any officer, NCO or Petty Officer cannot give you an order that that violates, the UCMJ, or Federal, state and local laws.

Back