A few questions about the Marines - Page 3

--

June 3rd, 2005  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
As long as the Order is lawful and does not violate the UCMJ Yes. An Officer can tell you to do just about anything.

Your Beer question. Well I never had an Officer order me to get them a beer,soda or whatever. I've had them ask me to grab them one or even send me on beer/pougie bait run. But never order me.
I did have a Lt Cdr order me to stop playing practical jokes on mt div officer once
( I had the poor guy so scared he almost didn't come to work )
June 6th, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

Are Recon Marines trained as tough as Navy SEALs?
June 7th, 2005  
03USMC

You'd really have to ask someone who's gone thru both BUD/S and ARS/BRC . Both are difficult training. But comparing the two can't be done from the sidelines.
--
June 17th, 2005  
ghost457

well, this has to do with Marine Force Recon, so here goes. I read that if you sign up for Marine Force Reconnaisance, you serve a four year "term" (for lack of a better word). Is this correct? If I join the Marine Corps, I would want to do that for the majority of my career, as that is what interests me. Landing on a beach and winning large battles doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as learning things that I shouldn't know in an enemy environment. Thanks in advance for the help.
June 17th, 2005  
MilidarUSMC

im pretty sure you cannot join the USMC w/ a package to try out for force recon. be mindful that recon and force recon is a differentt thing. both require a package through your command though. correct me if im wrong.
June 27th, 2005  
MarineGtoACommo

In my experience, they asked me to join recon straight out of boot camp - their ideals at the time were my being short (5'4") and finishing in the top 10% (which also earned me a meritorious promotion).
June 27th, 2005  
03USMC

Out of Boot? or Out of School?

You can't Indoc without an MOS. Milidar is right. You can however be Indoced at SOI.
June 27th, 2005  
MarineGtoACommo

This was in 79. I was "encouraged" to go recon instead of proceeding on with my pre-selected MOS of 5937. I was delayed entry and chose my MOS before I signed up.
June 27th, 2005  
03USMC

So you got the ..........

"If ya drop your contract and go to ITR .......You can have a shot at Recon."
June 28th, 2005  
MarineGtoACommo

This is correct, which I could have accomplished had I changed my mind. But I already had my sights set and, as it were, was 1st in the class and got another meritorious promo out of school and it led to success in the civilian world some 25 years later - for me at least. Not bad for never going to college.