A few questions about the Marines

03USMC said:
As long as the Order is lawful and does not violate the UCMJ Yes. An Officer can tell you to do just about anything.

Your Beer question. Well I never had an Officer order me to get them a beer,soda or whatever. I've had them ask me to grab them one or even send me on beer/pougie bait run. But never order me.

I did have a Lt Cdr order me to stop playing practical jokes on mt div officer once :)
( I had the poor guy so scared he almost didn't come to work )

You'd really have to ask someone who's gone thru both BUD/S and ARS/BRC . Both are difficult training. But comparing the two can't be done from the sidelines.

well, this has to do with Marine Force Recon, so here goes. I read that if you sign up for Marine Force Reconnaisance, you serve a four year "term" (for lack of a better word). Is this correct? If I join the Marine Corps, I would want to do that for the majority of my career, as that is what interests me. Landing on a beach and winning large battles doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as learning things that I shouldn't know in an enemy environment. Thanks in advance for the help.

im pretty sure you cannot join the USMC w/ a package to try out for force recon. be mindful that recon and force recon is a differentt thing. both require a package through your command though. correct me if im wrong.

In my experience, they asked me to join recon straight out of boot camp - their ideals at the time were my being short (5'4") and finishing in the top 10% (which also earned me a meritorious promotion).

Out of Boot? or Out of School?

You can't Indoc without an MOS. Milidar is right. You can however be Indoced at SOI.

This was in 79. I was "encouraged" to go recon instead of proceeding on with my pre-selected MOS of 5937. I was delayed entry and chose my MOS before I signed up.

So you got the ..........

"If ya drop your contract and go to ITR .......You can have a shot at Recon."

This is correct, which I could have accomplished had I changed my mind. But I already had my sights set and, as it were, was 1st in the class and got another meritorious promo out of school and it led to success in the civilian world some 25 years later - for me at least. Not bad for never going to college. ;)

FutureDevilDog said:
03USMC said:
Your gettin into touchy and iffy scenerios here. A PFC outranks a Private and in theory can give a Private Orders. However a PFC will rarely ever be in a postion to exert authority over Privates unless under the supervision of a Lcpl or an NCO and then it will take the form of a training evalution generally.

All enlisted Marines must follow all lawful orders from all commissioned officers (this includes Warrant Officers) of the United States Armed Forces and Allied Nations. Regardless of whether you are a Private or a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Does that mean the officer can tell me to do whatever he/she wants like go get him a beer or anything

That falls under personal servitude.

Here is an example:

You offer to go to the store since you are going there anyway. The Captain gives you some cash to get him a pack of smokes. Not personal servitude.
While you are sitting there working, the Captain comes up and says "soandso go to the store and buy me a pack of smokes." That would be considered personal servitude.

Those are "barney style" (simple) explanations. It can get more complex or be a bit more obscure but the principle is the same.

I know that when I went to the store for my morning coffee, if I didn't ask my MSgt if he wanted anything, then he generally gave me a hard time about it. All in fun of course but he would never and did never ask me to go to the store for him unless I was already going. He would however drop hints every now and then. My favorites were: "So when ya goin to the store?". or "A sandwich sure would go good about now eh Rhodes?"

FutureDevilDog wrote:
Say you are a PFC are you allowed to boss around a regular private
And say you are like a seargent major or some other high enlisted rank, can any officer regardless of the officers rank boss tell you what to do

More often than not that private is a private for a reason. Either he/she has been in trouble or he/she is right out of bootcamp. If you are a PFC trying to "boss" a private around then you need to go back and review your leadership traits. It is true that a PFC does outrank a private but unless you are in some hard core unit it is unlikely that you will be placed in charge of anyone. It is kind of rare for a working party of non-NCOs to be unsupervised by an NCO SNCO or Officer.

Mod Edit: Posts merged. Do not post back to back.

i want to also join the Marines, i was wondering if someone that has actually gonme through the marine basic can pm on the details, im reading lots of books but i would like a first hand story.

Back