The Few, The Proud

Metal Head

Is the Marine Corps still the few, the proud? They do the most recruiting out of any of the other branches, that's why it seems wierd to me. I was just wondering about this. Of course it is still a distinguished title, but do any of you know if it is still the same as it was when you were in the Corps in the 80's or 90's?

Most recruiting? Marines? If any branch I would think it's the Army or Navy...this is based on who has more commercials and posters I see around. Maybe it depends on the area you live in?

From what I remember we could never be more that 175,000 at one time. From my time the Corps actually never really had to go get people. Most of us went in because we either had a relative who was in the Marines or we just knew from a young age we wanted to be Marines. I never really even noticed Marine recruiting commercials and posters until I was already in.

It is a graph that shows strength numbers for the branches, and a break down by rank, then it tallies it all up at the end. From Aug. 31, 2004 the totals:

Army 497,464
Navy 375,383
Air Force 379,183
Marines 176,356 The Few

LeatherNeckRVA said:
goto meps sometime and you'll see we are still the few.

No kidding! When I was at the MEPS building, out of the whole day being there, I only met 3 other Marine recruits. Most of the peeps there were Army recruits.

I don't know how it is where others live but i was at the meps monday and tuesday of last week. There were only four Marine Recrutes at the Meps. (three other than me) One thing that all of us had in common (aside from the obvious) as far as enlisting was concerned was that we didn't get a bonus. There were two Marine Recruits from GA and two from TN. The other three guys that were there wasn't even aware that the marines gave bonuses. I wasn't intersted in a bonus simply becasue all of the red tape that comes with it.
From what my recruiter tells me the bonuses are saved for when a shipping slot needs to be filled and the only way to get a recruit to leave early is to alot an allowance to cover the bills he would have had to pay...etc. but that is just what i got out of it. But yeah definantly the Few and the Proud

Back