A few-From my service...

SHERMAN

Lets see if these make you happy, than ill try and remember more.

Bootcamp, Augost 2005...
We were practicing infantry warfare in open terrain. Before practicing as a section, each of us very young very dumb new soldiers practices alone with a Srgnt... The Srgnts like to put some pressure on us. They are not allowed to fire over our heads, so they throw rocks at us, kick sand in our faces, and hit us over the helmet with sticks...Exept one srgnt. He has a briliant idea. He likes to take the water cantins out of your vest and pour them over your head while you practice imaginery contacts...:) Its a stupid but refreshing habbit. Than one of my friends practices with this srgnt, and gets the expected shower- at which he shouts-
"Sir, it was filled with juice!!!"
I never put anything but water in my cantin again...
Somewhere on the Lebanese border, early 2006:
I am guarding the base. It is the middle of the night and Im dead tired. I decide I have to do somthing to keep awake. Against all regulations(but according to common practice:) ) I open a bag of sunflower seeds and start cracking them in my mouth and spitting the shells. I eat all 500 grams of the seeds by the next 4 houres and than I am replaced by another guy. Before I go to sleep I have to go and have an officer clear my weapon with me(we were guarding with loaded weapons). I go and find the Bettalions Personnel Officer. She is a nice girl and is happy to help me get to sleep fast(although it is not her turn to clear weapons). As I pull the cocking handle of my Galil SAR a haill of spit-out sunflower seed shells is ejected. I look at her and say very calmly- "Wow these SAR really pick up wierd dirt":)...Luckily she really was a nice person:)

Man I just gotta know. How did you get the sun flower seeds inside the weapon?

I have no idea. Dosent really matter as the Galil SAR is a copy of the AK47. It will not jam because of a gew seeds. I actually put a fistfull of sand in it and fired 35 rounds in 5 round bursts once.

I have no idea. Dosent really matter as the Galil SAR is a copy of the AK47. It will not jam because of a gew seeds. I actually put a fistfull of sand in it and fired 35 rounds in 5 round bursts once.

South Africa built a licenced copy of the Galil called the R4 and R5. Also produced was the civilian semi auto versions called the LM4 and LM5. I have a LM4 and find its a stunning rifle and extremely reliable. The only problem I found with it, its bloody heavy, too heavy for the calibre (5.56) and unless the rounds are all the way back in the magazine, the bullet tip jams on the front of the magazine. Another problem I found, the firing pin spring was made from rubber, after a time the rubber hardens the firing pin sticks forward, causing a slam fire when racking the working parts. I got around this by chucking the rubber and fitting a small coil spring. All in all, if the crap hits the fan, I would gladly use the rifle for defence. I have about 20x 35 round mags and about 10x 50 round mags, all fully loaded. Enough for a few minutes I reckon.

Back