Ferrero, Chela advance in Acapulco

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

ACAPULCO, Mexico - Top-seeded Juan Carlos Ferrero struggled to put away Italy's Potito Starace 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-3 in his Mexican Open debut Monday. Fourth-seeded Juan Ignacio Chela also won his opener. The 2000 champion and runner-up last year beat Argentine countryman Sergio Roitman 6-3, 6-2.
Ferrero, the former French Open champion trying to win his first title since October 2003, beat Starace two weeks ago en route to the final at Costa do Sauipe, Brazil. This time, however, he converted only three of 13 breakpoint chances, and Starace had only three of 17 in a match that lasted nearly three hours.
"It was harder than I thought it would be," Ferrero said. "I lost my concentration for a little while and that was the reason I almost lost the first set.
"This will help me play better in my next match."
Other first-round winners included Jiri Vanek of the Czech Republic, Nicolas Devilder of France, and Juan-Pablo Guzman of Argentina.
In women's play, France's Emilie Loit improved her record in Acapulco to 13-5 by beating Mexican wild-card Daniela Munoz Gallegos 6-3, 6-1. Loit has reached at least the quarterfinals in five visits since 2002.
Julia Schruff of Germany won her first match since the Australian Open, defeating Tzipi Obziler of Israel, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, while Kaia Kanepi of Estonia and Laura Pous Tio of Spain were also first-round winners.

Back