Female Spitfire pilots WW11.

Del Boy

At present in Britain the award of decorations is being considered for the female pilots of Spitfires during WW11.

Me either, I knew they used woman pilots to transfer aircraft from the factories to the airfields but didn't think they flew in combat.

The story is just unfolding. I also believe that they were not usually in combat, but certainly flew the Spitfires to deliver them to airfields under war-time conditions. As precise details become clear we shall see. I hope they get the recognition they deserve, particularly if they were involved in the Battle of Britain, which I suppose they must have been, considering the panic stations and losses associated.

Last edited:
Back in 1938 the Government set up the ATA, Air Transport Auxiliary which delivered the air craft from the factories to to front line. 173 pilots and flight engineers were killed. They deliver more than 300.000 aircraft and many of the pilots were women. The government are to give them a badge, now knowing this tight lot it will know doubt be like the Veterans badge, and after all this time there can't be many of them left.

The US had them too (not Spitfires obviously) but female fighter and bomber crews who were usually used for testing, aircraft ferry, and target towing (for AAA crews). They were known as WASPS.

Back