Female soldiers in Iraq

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
I came across this site while doing a search. It has lots of info on female soldiers. http://www.afemalesoldier2.com/
The site was started by a 35 year old wife, mother, and U.S. Soldier with the 101st Airborne Division, who calls herself Gray Eagle.

Here is just one example:

Sgt. Jessica Fisher

Within days of arriving in Iraq, this 26-year-old had already spent a very dark and scary night in March near Samarra, Iraq, trying desperately to save the life of an unknown soldier who was crushed when a Humvee rolled over. That soldier without a name would literally die in Fisher's arms. He wore a wedding ring on his left hand. That he was married is all that Fisher would ever know about him. After the incident was over, the combat patrol returned to their base camp so Fisher could change into a clean uniform before going right back out on an IED patrol again. Fisher initially had no fear when she was assigned to the Trailblazer mission. Her experiences have changed her, though. She no longer goes to the showers alone or anywhere else on the camp. "I never go alone because if we got mortared or hurt no one would know," she says. She prays before and often during every mission. She tries to prepare herself for the stressful duty by listening to soft music and using a gentle body mist to relax her. After O'Donnell's incident she felt nauseous before each mission and didn't want to go back out. But she knew how much everyone counted on her, and she wouldn't dare let them down. "I remember going to chow, no one saying anything. I came back and puked my guts out," Fisher said. "I hid tears behind my sunglasses" for several days. Even though she finds it difficult being away from her family and friends, Fisher knows how crucial her role is in Iraq. She may be a medic but she is not only just a medic. She has found IEDs, as well. In fact, she says, "I am a Trailblazer first and a medic second." She has also trained on all of the weapons in the company and can operate them if the need should ever arise. Fisher looks forward to returning to North Dakota when her duty is done. She says she will no longer take freedom for granted. She misses the little things: "Going to Wal-Mart. Going to get milk. Going to get stamps at the post office. Mowing the grass. Just sitting on my steps and watching the sprinklers."

Whoever said women shouldn't be in combat should talk to these soldiers.
:rambo:

Back