Female Regiments?

Has any army in the modern world ever had a female regiment?

46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Regiment of the Soviet Red Army Air Force (nicknamed 'Night Witches' by the Germans)
088.jpg

Women-only combat regiment formed at the instigation of Marina Raskova and led by Major Yevdokia Bershanskaya. From June 1942, the 588th Night Bomber Regiment was within the 4th Air Army. In February 1943 the regiment was honored with a reorganization into the 46th Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment and in October 1943 it became the 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment.

The regiment flew harassment bombing and precision bombing missions from 1942 to the end of the war. At its largest size, it had 40 two-person crews. It flew over 23,000 sorties and is said to have dropped 3,000 tons of bombs. It was the most highly-decorated unit in the Soviet Air Force, each pilot having flown over 1,000 missions by the end of the war and twenty-three having been awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union title. Thirty-one of its members died in combat.

The regiment flew in wood and canvas Polikarpov Po-2 biplanes, a 1928 design intended for use as training aircraft and for crop-dusting. The planes could carry only two bombs at a time, so multiple missions in a night were necessary. Although the aircraft were obsolete and slow, the pilots made daring use of their exceptional maneuverability; they had the advantage of having a maximum speed that was lower than the stall speed of both the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, as a result, the German pilots found them very difficult to shoot down. A stealth technique of the night bombers was to idle the engine near the target and glide to the bomb release point, with only wind noise to reveal their location.
Commanders
  • Yevdokiya Bershanskaya - Regimental Commander
  • Yevgeniya Zhigulenko, Hero of the Soviet Union- Flight Commander
  • Tat'yana Makarova, Hero of the Soviet Union- Flight Commander
  • Nina Ul'yanenko, Hero of the Soviet Union, Flight Navigator
Notable members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

The Rani of Jhansi Regiment was the Women's Regiment of the Indian National Army, the armed force formed by Indian nationalists in 1942 in Southeast Asia with the aim of overthrowing the British Raj in colonial India, with Japanese assistance. Led by Capt Lakshmi Swaminathan, the unit was raised in July 1943 with volunteers from the expatriate Indian population in South East Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_of_Jhansi_Regiment

1st Russian Women's Battalion of Death
1st Petrograd Women's Battalion
2nd Moscow Women's Battalion of Death
3rd Kuban Women's Shock Battalion

Women battalions - military units composed exclusively of women, created by the Provisional Government, mainly with the aim of propaganda - to raise the patriotic spirit in the army and ashamed by his own example of male soldiers who refuse to fight. Despite this, partially involved in the fighting of the First World War. One of the initiators of their creation was Maria Bochkareva

My wife was a member of the Womens Royal Army Corps, she wore her WRAC cap badge even though she served with the Royal Signals. However, I hear now they wear the cap badge of the regiment they are serving with.

They do, it was funny seeing our WRAC Provost members wearing the RMP capbadge. Not being crude, I know how nasty my missus is when "Mother Nature pays her monthly visit" Can you imagine an entire regiment of women biologically in sync with one another. Got to be the most ferocious fighting unit on the planet!!! :m16shoot::m16shoot::m16shoot:

They do, it was funny seeing our WRAC Provost members wearing the RMP capbadge. Not being crude, I know how nasty my missus is when "Mother Nature pays her monthly visit" Can you imagine an entire regiment of women biologically in sync with one another. Got to be the most ferocious fighting unit on the planet!!! :m16shoot::m16shoot::m16shoot:

My wife was a Lance Jack while I was a full screw, I very nearly put her on a 252 even though I was with the RCT (TAVR) while she was with Royal Signals (TAVR).:smil:

Instead I read her the riot act.

I had a female SSgt try to chew me out over some trivial matter, until I politely informed her I was an acting Sgt, if she continued to try and embarrass me in front of my section, I would arrest her and the situation would be very uncomfortable for her. That was when she said, "You cant arrest me, you're a lower rank to me" That was like a red rag to a bull, I informed her, "Staff, with all due respect - do not confuse your rank with my authority, you may be a rank higher than me, but my warrant card gives me the authority of the Provost Marshall (Brigadier)" She soon shut up and buggered off. ;)

On all the RAF stations I was on I cannot recall any female snowdrops, they were all blokes, 6 foot 12, 3 days wide, built like a brick outhouse and many of them with the IQ of a chocolate frog.

Back