Feeling good today.

chrischance

I just received the news that one of my books got a whole page review in the Czech Republic newspaper 'Lidove Noviny'.
I feel real good about that so I thought I would share that with you.
I've done some wierd things in my time and paid the price for my adventures. I was the last Brit to be held in the infamous Carabanchel prison in Madrid before the ungodly pit was closed. I wrote about it and my work was published. It was thanks to my military training that I survived to tell the tale.
Christopher Chance.

Carabanchel: The Last Brit in Europe's Hellhole Prison by Christopher Chance
getimage.aspx

Synopsis

This is a true story of survival in what was arguably the most sinister prison in Europe: the Carabanchel. Christopher Chance was the last Brit to be shackled and hauled out of that infamous Spanish hellhole before it closed its gates on decades of disgraceful cruelty. Along with the rest of the remaining inmates, he was transferred to another prison when the authorities slid back the bolts for the last time.

Chance’s story begins on the day he entered the jail and encountered the innate racism of the prison staff and inmates. Intimidation and constant bullying by Spanish gypsies, gangsters and heroin dealers forced ‘Chancer’ to become ultra-violent in his quest to live unmolested during his stay, while psychotic prison officers peddled booze and drugs, and performed barbaric acts on inmates.

In Carabanchel, Chance tells how he forged a band of international brothers from the chaotic human rubble in order to survive. Men from all around the world joined forces against their common aggressors, the Spanish inmates. Chancer’s gang became invincible in this cauldron of hate and fear; their numbers were few but their strength lay in the loyalty and respect they had for each other, combined with their courage and fighting skills. Chance highlights the fact that much international crime is planned in prison and strong business friendships are forged which last for years.

This harrowing tale is prison writing in the raw. The action remains unremittingly confined to the brutal, ugly and corrupt environment of the Carabanchel and rubs the noses of the politically correct brigade in the filth of the real world.

Hi Spike, I'm sure you can get my books in Oz. Try here:
Sydney (Head Office)
Sales and Marketing Director: Carol Davidson
Random House Australia Pty Ltd.
Level 3
100 Pacific Highway
North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia
Tel: (0061) 2 9954 9966
Fax: (0061) 2 9954 4562
e-mail: CDavidson@randomhouse.com.au
Melbourne (Distribution)
16 Dalmore Drive
Scoresby, Victoria
3179, Australia
Tel: (0061) 39 753 4511
Fax: (0061) 39 753 3944
You get the best deal with www.amazon.co.uk
Or go right to it through my website.
Try at home first though, because I'm interested.
Cheers mate, Chris.

hey Chris, saw you got educated at st. thomas more high school... would that be the one in wigan, near a fire station?

No mate, SS John Fisher and Thomas More school was in Widnes, nowhere near a firestation. That's why it burnt down. Lol.
I used to go to Wigan Empire during the rock'n'roll years. It was a great place for dancing with Lancashire Lassies. People here would find it difficult to understand that Wigan has a pier. Wigan Pier is famous seeing as how it's an inland town.
Chris.

Wigan pier, there's a nightclub there now. Got a museum on the actual pier though, all about the pits and everything.

The nightclub is sketchy at best, absolute b*llocks at worst.

There was a st. thomas more high school in wigan, next to a fire station, but it's been knocked down now. i'll get a Google maps location for you.

if you go into google maps, enter this location: Laithwaite, Robin Park Rd/St Thomas More High School (NW-bound) @53.542340,-2.652780

that'll take you to a bus stop directly in front of the buildings

Chris, I just ordered the last copy from Amazon. I have a rather large library, so my Wife says, so I'll PM you what I think. Of course I'm no expert literary critic, if there is such a person, but my genre interest is pretty varied.

Hi Missileer,
which amazon... com or .co.uk?
Also, which book?
One of my military mates advised me to sell books from home. That way, I can send signed copies out. Hmm... as though I haven't enough to do around here.Lol.
Anyway, another good feeling day today. A London publisher has just taken my third prison book 'The Deadly Brit'. It looks promising, but I'll keep my fingers crossed until I see a contract. Thought I'd share that with you.
Look forward to reading your review mate. Just bear in mind that it is not fiction.
Chris.

Chris,
I ordered "Carabanchel: The Last Brit in Europe's Hellhole Prison." Amazon.com is where I found it. I bought it because it is non fiction, I'm a sucker for historical info so I figured coming from the original source, you, that it would be factual. I still have text books from College, I can't throw a book away. Lately, we had our house recarpeted and since I couldn't lift very heavy loads, my Wife and Grandsons moved my various libraries into a tiled room. They weren't happy campers.

Back