FBI chief undermines Obama on Guantanamo closure (AFP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AFP - FBI chief Robert Mueller Wednesday undermined President Barack Obama's plan to close the Guantanamo Bay prison by warning that detainees could fuel terrorism if transferred to US soil.

Read more...

Obama is due to defend his approach in a speech Thursday.

Looking forward to that one, also whether he can show the leadership the world expects from him.

Will be interesting how this turns out.

Rattler

Solitary confinement would do the job then.
The FBI chief's got a point. If you put them in regular US prisons, you'll have another source of terrorism right in the US.

Solitary confinement would do the job then.
The FBI chief's got a point. If you put them in regular US prisons, you'll have another source of terrorism right in the US.

Exactly I agree...it's like the president is almost favoring these terrorist that killed our 2,750 Americans...sigh..

No I don't think he's favoring them. He's just got a dillemma at hand. The Gitmo detention facility has gotten so much bad press that he probably had no choice but to agree to shut it down. But now looking for an alternative, it doesn't seem very good at all.
Hopefully he'll find an appropriate solution.

No I don't think he's favoring them. He's just got a dillemma at hand. The Gitmo detention facility has gotten so much bad press that he probably had no choice but to agree to shut it down. But now looking for an alternative, it doesn't seem very good at all.
Hopefully he'll find an appropriate solution.
It was part of his campaign to close Guantanamo

Guys, the way Gitmo was handled made it a global symbol of "American Oppression." The last thing we should give our enemies is ammunition they can use for bringing people who would normally think of America favorably over to their side or at the very least win their sympathy.
Remember that wars are fought with more than just the military element. There is a political element as well, possibly the key element that lost Vietnam. The South Vietnamese government and their ruling class simply did not understand this and made the world turn against them.

Back