Favourite WWII Fighter?

Of course everyone likes an underdog, I just wouldnt like to take on BF109's with one.

The old Royal Navy "Stringbag" was another outdated aeroplane, but she managed to do a lot of good work including the attack on the Italian Navy at Toranto as well as crippling the Bismark to enable the fleet to catch up and sink her.

Sounds like another biplane the Fairy Swordfish, theoretically obsolete but stubbornly effective. (sorry just realised BritinAfrica has made the same comment!)

Messerschmitt Bf 109

best plane by best fighter ever Erich Hartmann.

Erich Alfred "Bubi" Hartmann (19 April 1922 – 20 September 1993), also nicknamed "Bubi" by his comrades and "The Black Devil" by his Soviet enemies, was a German World War II fighter pilot and is the highest scoring fighter ace in the history of Aerial warfare. He claimed 352 aerial victories (of which 345 were won against the Soviet Air Force, and 260 of which were fighters) in 1,404 combat missions. He engaged in aerial combat 825 times while serving with the Luftwaffe. During the course of his career, Hartmann was forced to crash land his damaged fighter 14 times. This was due to damage received from parts of enemy aircraft he had just shot down, or mechanical failure. Hartmann claimed never to have been shot down or forced to land due to fire from enemy aircraft.[1]

wikipedia is the source, and its right in this case.

P-47.
It was an effective fighter, but also protected the pilot so well that even if he couldn't down his opponent he could live to fight another day. Many opposing pilots found this out when they ran out of ammo and the P-47 downed them afterward.

The P-38 was an excellent plane, the most requested by pilots. It had its armament focused in the nose, so it sawed through the Zeros.

The P-38 was an excellent plane, the most requested by pilots. It had its armament focused in the nose, so it sawed through the Zeros.

...But it was far less effective against German Fighters, especially the FW-190. The lightning was a high-altitude fighter. The German fighter weakness was at altitudes above 10000m, and their pilots knew this quite well. Which is why the never engaged combat at high-altitude. At Low altitude the P-38 was slow and maneuvered like a Bus.

The plane the Germans really feared was the P-47.

i really like the Stuka and it's usage and ofcourse it's siren

The Junkers 87 or Stuka wasnt a fighter, but a dive bomber. When Stuka's attacked Britain during the Battle of Britain, Spitfires and Hurricanes shot most of them down. They were very quickly withdrawn from the Battle.

i do know that,i know that in a formation of some 80 Stukas and 200 fighters the British attacked the Stukas and not the fighters.
British fighters say that the Stuka was the most easy prey of all.
yet i love it:D
wouldnt fly it though

id....never really was a WWII air plance fan but thought that the germans overall had the best planes but to my surprise i was wrong. the japs had the best planes - i was surprised!

oh yeah, my favorit - spitfire!

Last edited by a moderator:
id....never really was a WWII air plance fan but thought that the germans overall had the best planes but to my surprise i was wrong. the japs had the best planes - i was surprised!!

Yes you are right !! I forgot about jap planes !! because nobody reaaly told about them ...yes they had good machines there ...

Yes you are right !! I forgot about jap planes !! because nobody reaaly told about them ...yes they had good machines there ...

id....never really was a WWII air plance fan but thought that the germans overall had the best planes but to my surprise i was wrong. the japs had the best planes - i was surprised!

oh yeah, my favorit - spitfire!

On what possible basis do you say this, on how they look?

If the Japanese or German aircraft were superior their pilots must have been crap because they lost in the air battles to the Americans, despite the latter having to range over enemy territory

hmmm the nazis owned the skies and so did the britts in terms of better aces.

if germans vs britts then germans because they had more of pilots and planes.

japs had very fast and good planes, the best. in terms of looks jap planes looked like flying bricks.

some one said that now days who has more training and expierience wins - ummmm how did americans do well if they came to war when it was over?

besides never thought that most of german fighters were already killed and most planes lost? himler even told hitler that our air force does not lack planes when they did not have omost any resources to control the skys anymore.

as for japs - they sure owned ya at pearl harbor with their fansy planes.

p.s: just sall that ur a britt and not american. i will say that germans were the best and right behind em the RAF

Perhaps we are getting confused. It depends upon the period we are taking about. During 41-42 the Japanese had aircraft better suited for maritime use than the Allies or Germany. However, unlike the upgraded versions of the Spitfire, the Zero didn't remain competitive with the more advanced aircraft coming of the American drawing boards. Moreover it's range and manoeuvrability was at the cost of protection. Japanese pilots payed bitterly for this defect and as a result quickly lost air superiority.

Perhaps we are getting confused. It depends upon the period we are taking about. During 41-42 the Japanese had aircraft better suited for maritime use than the Allies or Germany. However, unlike the upgraded versions of the Spitfire, the Zero didn't remain competitive with the more advanced aircraft coming of the American drawing boards. Moreover it's range and manoeuvrability was at the cost of protection. Japanese pilots payed bitterly for this defect and as a result quickly lost air superiority.

Just read about how many loses per day allied force got just because japs airstriked them in the sea ...

But i still like much most of the Englans last planes...

Here some info about Jap's aviation
http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/ijnaf.htm

they even had a rocket airplane lol
Mitsubishi J8M Shusui (Sword Stroke)
and
http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/mxy7.htm

Last edited:
Back